Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone have experience using this kit?
Does it include everything you need? one of the videos it says i have to replace the rear brakes for the kit. is that true?

Is the transmission included in the kit top quality? I do plan on getting welded gears and super diff

I am buying a new 2110 engine. Should i upgrade any of the below items?

steel shift forks
chromoly axles
Heavy duty side plates
New Erco/Weddle gears
upgraded case
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Ask the seller, start there.
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

They are closed on the weekend and I want to buy tomorrow because they have 10% off till tomorrow or I would...
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Whoa there...you have got a shit tonne of questions all wrapped up into one post that has nothing to do with the product you have in the title.

Let's start with the welded gears bit. Welded gears are for drifters or 4x4ers, and it's either welded gears or a super diff. So, if you ever plan on driving this bus around a corner without burning rubber? ...go with the super diff.

Now as far as all of the other stuff goes, it all depends on how you answered that last question.

As far as I know Airkewld sells suspension and brakes and it looks like good stuff. If I was to bag a bus and swap to disk brakes at the same time, getting it all from one supplier would be the way to go.

Just my humble opinion, Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

vwy2k wrote:
..... I want to buy tomorrow because they have 10% off till tomorrow or I would...

Buying before doing some serious research with the vendor (as well as here) will always cost you way more than 10%, don't get conned into a panic buy, take your time and figure out just what you need, what's included and what's effected by installing it.
There will be other sales in the future, take your time and avoid buying something you don't really need/want.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not going to bag the bus. This is the kit

https://www.airkewld.com/Bus-Sport-Ride-Complete-Kit-s/2386.htm
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Great looks like a nice kit. And, not that I would want to knock any business that is out there putting together a kit like this, but... If you have the ability to install this kit yourself, you should be able to do the majority of what this kit is. A straight axle swap (reduction box delete/ring gear flip) and a spindle flip (link pin relocate and weld support). Things needed to buy for this is much less than that whole kit. I know profit is not a dirty word, but for me, my time is worth way less than that price tag.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

I do have the ability owning a custom welding fabrication shop but the time it would take me to do this I think it is worth it to have them do it and get it done right the first time....

I will be installing everything myself
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

vwy2k wrote:
I do plan on getting welded gears and super diff

I am buying a new 2110 engine. Should i upgrade any of the below items?

steel shift forks

Heavy duty side plates

upgraded case

Welded 3rd and 4th is a good idea as it keeps the gear syncro hub from separating from the gear. Pic borrowed from mcmscott.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super diff makes 4 spider gear contacts instead of 2 so much stronger.

Steel shift forks are a must. Most bus trannys already have them.

Stronger side covers help as there is force trying to blow the crown gear side out that side. Stronger-longer side cover studs, too.

Upgraded case could be anything from Rhino to specialty like Mendeola, Albins, Weddle, Auto-Craft.
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Them airkewld boys make quality stuff. Have good support too.
I dunno who is building their transmissions but you could probably use their Instagram to get ahold of Pete there and ask.
I’ve bought their bug air kit a long time ago and was happy with it.
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I bought the kit last night. I will report back once I have it installed.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

I would have gone IRS if removing RGBs. That's my plan.
FreddyWanKenobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Lowering Airkewld complete Kit Questions Reply with quote

vwy2k wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I bought the kit last night. I will report back once I have it installed.

Just curious do you have any updates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: