Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I removed the front passenger door striker plate last weekend. White removing it, the loose catch plate (where the screws go) behind the Pillar fell to the bottom of the pillar. I am unable to retrieve it.
What are my options?
1966 Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

yikes, I hadn't realized that this would happen.

i'm following this thread because I was just about to remove the same plates on my bus .

I suppose I would try a combination of a stiff wire and a magnet to try to retrieve it but you probably already thought of that .

good luck and following.....
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

early wrote:
yikes, I hadn't realized that this would happen.

i'm following this thread because I was just about to remove the same plates on my bus .

I suppose I would try a combination of a stiff wire and a magnet to try to retrieve it but you probably already thought of that .

good luck and following.....

I think if you remove one screw at a time, you have time to hold on to it. I did't think it would fall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

chamilka wrote:
early wrote:
yikes,

I didn't think it would fall.

Bummer

Perhaps try using a strong rare earth magnet on the outside of the B pillar where you suspect the nut plate to be.
You may be able to "grab" the nut plate through the B pillar and slide both the magnet and the nut plate up the pillar.

Short of that, you may be cutting into the B pillar.

Edit: One other consideration is cutting into the B pillar from the bottom - through a portion of the inner dogleg and retrieve it from the bottom. That would not mess up any exterior paint at least and the patching of the cut would require less finishing.

Good luck with it.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

You could always turn it upside down and shake like getting change from your Piggy Bank.

Sorry, I deal with problems with bad humour...I'm not proud of it.

But to be honest, you could use a borescope in one screw hole and a wire down the other to hook it.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:

Edit: One other consideration is cutting into the B pillar from the bottom - through a portion of the inner dogleg and retrieve it from the bottom. That would not mess up any exterior paint at least and the patching of the cut would require less finishing.

yeah I did this
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

I pulled wire for commercial A/V jobs for years. One little trick I would use is a tool called a wet noodle. Basically a small magnet on a ball chain.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's what I'd try. Good luck!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

wondering if you found a solution ?

my question is : Does the Striker plate attachment bolts Not welded to the inside of the B pillar?

I cant believe that this could happen. I want to remove my strikers for painting rather than mask them.

has anyone else had this issue?

thx
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

We hava' nicely patina'd 1962 SO33 and the bottom-fastening-bolts were rusted to that plate. So, I cut the metal, behind the plate - which is outside, on the outer skin - I was able to access that plate and squirt some rust buster on and remove everything -
- by the way, that plate is (supposed) to be held in place with metal tabs. So even if you unscrew all the fastening-bolts, the nut-plate should remain in place - a good design GMOG reminded me that, that screw-plate moves around, a little when held in place, by the tabs - for perfect door adjustment, too.
I fabricated a (little larger) metal plate, with a piece, from my 1961 parts bus, to cover my new access hole. So I (or someone, down-the-road, someday) could get in there if they had to... the new access is very visible and I like that - a great conversation-starter and i'm not real-anal 'bout imperfections... for imperfections-makes-perfect.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

Can you fish a long thin flat headed screw driver in there to lift the plate so that you can get a screw started. Once you get one started it’ll hold it in place. Good luck it sucks dealing with that stuff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: striker catch plate fell inside the Pillar - now what? Reply with quote

russ c wrote:
Can you fish a long thin flat headed screw driver in there to lift the plate so that you can get a screw started. Once you get one started it’ll hold it in place. Good luck it sucks dealing with that stuff

… not much of a fisherman - just wanna get in there and fix things - same thing happened to me, on the rear cargo-door and I cut a 3 sided access and bent the metal down - worked through the little hole, I made and bent the hole closed, when done - put a piece of tape over it and never thought 'bout it again - my inner-zen-master told me to do it that way and He's "the man".
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: