Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of spending the weekend back in 2017 hanging with the first owners of this bus and was tempted to buy it then and now the temptation is Baaaaccck!

just thought I would share as its a great read!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-volkswagen-vanagon-5/

Last edited by weisswurst on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Such a cool and unique van. I'm interested to see how much it goes for.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Is that really an original 16"? I don't see the front shock tower reinforcements (could just be the pics) and the rear shock mount points on the trailing arms are not in the right place (should be lower).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't have a picture of the rears on this computer.

Pictures are not clear enough to tell the other 16" give-aways.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

I'm interested in that full pop-top. I'd like to see some details on it

I wonder what R&P is in it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

I see the import value on it was $5,900.00
If you go by that rear shock mount it is not a Syncro 16 if those are the original trailing arms. Not a deal breaker as it does give you 1/2 to 1" more shock travel.
You would have to see the oem body reinforcements added to confirm the 16" status.
The German registration does have the 205/R16 tire size on it that was used on the 16".
What happened to the original 16" steel wheels? I can see going to the aftermarket Renfro's if they are wider for the tires. Just curious of why the originals are not used.

Too many things I would remove as I would not have fitted them in the first place.
Too much telltale rust for me to consider buying it.

I would like to see the reinforcements added to the "B" pillar for the full length top.
And I am envious of the front seats!

It would be a good vehicle for someone.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

What is special about the front seats? Besides being in nice condition.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
What is special about the front seats? Besides being in nice condition.

The nice condition!
I had to move my passenger seat over to the drivers side because of a lump in the back.
One of these daze when I have time off I'll be able to get them re-done.

weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Hi ya Steve Smile
when the german couple (doctors on a 2 year holiday) told me they wanted to sell and get it titled in Florida I suggested a 5k-ish amount to speed up the import document approval at the port of tampa (they ended up hiring a service and got it done quickly) I really considered it but I had some other diesel camping vehicles I needed to spend money on at that time instead. it's tempting that it's back again but I am in the same situation now again with more projects! I just got a VW LT55 Doka with a 3 way tilt bed that needs some $$ love! (first world problems right Steve??) Cool
here is parked where you parked your syncro on your visit, remember? dottie the goat tried to hide in your van!

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

I would like to see the reinforcements added to the "B" pillar for the full length top.

I'm curious about the roof, too. I would assume that if Volkswagen AG commissioned the conversion, they would have considered that but who knows.

More pics from back in 2015 when I first started salivating over it:

https://vwbusforum.ch/t/verkaufe-t3-syncro-special-mobils-verkauft/15476

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

weisswurst wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Hi ya Steve Smile
when the german couple (doctors on a 2 year holiday) told me they wanted to sell and get it titled in Florida I suggested a 5k-ish amount to speed up the import document approval at the port of tampa (they ended up hiring a service and got it done quickly) I really considered it but I had some other diesel camping vehicles I needed to spend money on at that time instead. it's tempting that it's back again but I am in the same situation now again with more projects! I just got a VW LT55 Doka with a 3 way tilt bed that needs some $$ love! (first world problems right Steve??) Cool
here is parked where you parked your syncro on your visit, remember? dottie the goat tried to hide in your van!

Where do you find this stuff! 👍👍👍
It's just not the same without Dottie ☹️

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Here's another (better) video with the previous owners:

Link

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

More pics from back in 2015 when I first started salivating over it:

https://vwbusforum.ch/t/verkaufe-t3-syncro-special-mobils-verkauft/15476

Not quite what had in mind for support!

weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

wow, the current interior is no where to be found in that 2015 link you posted!
looks like a weekender and an added westy cabinet.
none of the back seats stayed either it appears it was gutted except for the top and re-built to what is is now by that German couple I met back in 2017.
that seems to make sense if this listing you posted was from 2015 and I saw it at the end of it's tour in 2017 in Florida...

Last edited by weisswurst on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

As far as support, the top doesn't appear to lay on the regular vanagon roof; they've installed a big metal square for the roof to lie on top of. Would that create enough support?

Actually I guess if the thing's been all over at least three continents, it's good enough.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
As far as support, the top doesn't appear to lay on the regular vanagon roof; they've installed a big metal square for the roof to lie on top of. Would that create enough support?

Actually I guess if the thing's been all over at least three continents, it's good enough.

I hadn't noticed that in the pic I had seen last year. That would I think give it support for me to stand on it when it's closed. I stand on my 4x8' plywood and it only has three Yakima crossbars.
I was more interested in the internal structure of the aluminum box if it looked like it would be strong enough to support walking on it

weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
[
Where do you find this stuff! 👍👍👍
It's just not the same without Dottie ☹️

I dunno just lucky I had a smaller Doka that the LT guy had and we traded! if anyone has a VW logo to fit in the LT grille I NEED it bad, there was a mercedes one hacked in there by the owner from Poland (yes, I know the jokes never stop on that comment but it's true!)
if anyone has a source its a 1992 LT 55 front grille

here is pic of Dottie enjoying a ride in the LT as she loves cars as you know and you can see the blinking temp light has her a bit concerned...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Chevron her favourite gas, no doubt.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Goats are so much fun. You can't park cars near them, or they'll be on top of them in mere moments.

What engine is in that LT?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Correction:

I found out from a conversation at that other place that the photos I referenced above are from a completely different van...Apparently VW commissioned approx. 15 of these to be made. The German fella who corrected me had a gorgeous orange one with the aluminum top.

Now back to LT talk..

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: A syncro I camped with is back for sale on BAT... Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Goats are so much fun. You can't park cars near them, or they'll be on top of them in mere moments.

What engine is in that LT?

thats why I breed miniature pygmys (cant reach past the bumper thank goodness)

I think the badge is correct on it that says 4.0
I was told its a 6cyl turbo (I just got it so haven't dived in yet)
it drives nice and its fast for it's size!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: