Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Hello,
So im switching over to a dual master cylinder setup and I was wondering if I need two brake light switches so the brake lights can work
Raven Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

As long as it has pressure on the circuit that has the switch, the lights will work.
If one brake circuit fails, and loses pressure, a you'll at least have pressure on the front or back that didn't fail, and it may or may not turn on the brake lights, but at that point, you'll know you need repairs anyway, so you'd at least be able to get it home to fix it, at which point, you'd have brake lights again with a fully functioning brake system.
I have yet to upgrade my master cylinder on my 62, but this is the logic I plan to use regarding my own singular brake light switch, when I get around to it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

You do not need both, but if one circuit fails you have a 50% chance of having working brake lights as you get it home. So better to just have both senders.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Need.. no.. recommended yes..

Read up on the many topics about dual conversions.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raven Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Thanks just had to make sure just in case I need it
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Regardless of whether or not you use both electrically for the lights to function, you'll still need two switches to fill the holes in the master cylinder. Wink
ladon67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

I just put one of these on my 62 kit car. HIGHLY recommend it!! Instant brake lights as opposed to needing 20 lbs or so of pressure before your lights come on.

https://www.aircooledevolution.com/product-page/pedal-activated-brake-light-switch
Raven Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

Yeah I'll figure somthing out about the other hole
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

IMO you will know when one of the brake circuits fails without an idiot light telling you it happened. That being said, use 2 two-prong brake light switches and connect them in parallel. Easier to connect which wire goes where than the three-prong brake light switches. Like mukluk posted, you're going to need two anyway.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

I did the single circuit to dual circuit m/c conversion on my ‘60 2 years ago. It’s a very worthwhile safety improvement. I bought the m/c and two switches from Wolfsburg West. Switches were $24 each which seemed like a lot but they have worked well with no leaks. There were reports of the lower priced ones leaking and not working after a few months. YMMV.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Master Cylinder and Brake Switch's Reply with quote

If you currently have a complete single circuit brake setup, you only need to buy one brake switch because you can reuse the existing one in your master cylinder. The switch thread size and pitch didn't change when they implemented dual circuit brakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: