Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Tail light ground location
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

Anyone know where the ground wires for the tail lights on a 67 connected to the body from the factory?
It's been 8 years since I took this thing apart and can not find where they were screwed to the body anywhere.
I know I can drill a new hole anywhere, but was wondering were the factory connection was located....

Thanks....Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

They ground through a tab onto the inside of the body. 67s did not come with a wire ground, those are later taillights. If you want a wire ground (which often works better) you need to drill a hole. There is not a factory ground wire tab location for the taillights.
On the right side you can use the battery ground location.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

If your 67 has reverse lights you can swap out for a later body that has a ground tab built in and use that to ground your taillights. As Clara mentioned, the lights almost always work better by adding a ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Mine is an early 67 (Nov 66) and does not have back up lights. The tail light housings do have a tab on them for a ground wire. The harness that i got came with 2 separate ground wires .... Time to do some drilling I guess.

Thanks again....Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

On my '63 I have later buckets with a ground tab and I grounded it to the battery negative cable bolt on the right side with a large ring connector.

The left side has a wire running alongside the harness that runs side to side above the decklid so there are already clips there to hold it in place.

Not my Bus but like this but with a ring connector instead of jamming the bare wires in there:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Tail light ground location Reply with quote

I took a pic today of my Bus and how I did it:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: