Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Hello Forum,

Two of the three bolt holes in my steering wheel hub are stripped.
These bolts hold the horn ring to the hub, and because the two bolts don't hold, the canceling ring hits the hub continually, thus breaking the ground (and causing continuous horn blare).

My question is:
Can the hub be replaced (with good threaded bolt holes), or is just easier to get another steering wheel? Would a replacement hub even be available?
In the two pictures showing the back side of the hub, you can see what appears to be a "molded anchoring point" of some sort on the left, which may used to fasten the hub to the steering wheel.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

I would drill it to the recommended size for helicoils and go that route.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Turn signal screws in steering wheel 3.5mm thread

Item 28 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/956
and here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/960

I would look in the little drawers at Ace Hardware and try to thread in some 4mm screws.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

If they are not to bad, I've had luck using foil or brass stock to help the screw hold.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

If you don't want to do a thread insert which would be the proper way to fix it,try the larger screw like suggested.

Or you could swage the hole with a steel ball which would push mat'l in making the hole smaller on the top.Then carefully tap the hole.This may give enough threads for the screw to hold on to.
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

to truly fix the issue a helicoil would be the best solution because if you have to take it apart again in the future you won't have to deal with half assed repairs trying to put it back togeather, someone on here had a signature that said

there is no time to do it right the first time, but there is all the time to fix it right the second time. I would choose to fix it right the first time.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Item 28 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/956
and here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/960

I would look in the little drawers at Ace Hardware and try to thread in some 4mm screws.

If you use a larger non-metric screw, I won't tell.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Buy two self-tapping screws and run them in the existing holes
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Cusser wrote:

If you use a larger non-metric screw, I won't tell.

Here's your fix
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Thanks ALL for your input and suggestions!
Shopping today for 3.5 mm heli-coils, and see where that takes me.
Dan, your posted "here's your fix" link from yesterday didn't come thru.
Again, thanks ... could not have done this project rebuild w/o the forum!
Cheers!
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

I would either run a 4mm or slightly larger SAE tap through it.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Beetle Steering Wheel Hub - stripped threads Reply with quote

Another “hack-fix” option you can sometimes make work with this sort of thing is to clean out the stripped holes with a suitable solvent, and then fill them with JB Weld epoxy. After it has fully cured, you can then carefully drill out and re-tap the discrepant holes.

When reinstalling the screws, be gentle and avoid cross-threading or forcing anything. The threads in the JB Weld epoxy are nowhere near as strong as the originals in the steering wheel hub (and those really weren’t all that tough to begin with, seeing as the hub is cast out of “pot metal” zinc alloy). But the new threading in the epoxy is still usually capable of retaining lightly loaded / tightened screws.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: