Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Transport/Shipping Information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Through the years, I've had lots of cars shipped to me and from me. Usually without incident. Recently, I have had repeat success with two I've bought and had shipped to me and one that I sold and recommended to the buyer. All were with Montway Auto Transport. They were all in enclosed transports. Booking was easy and the price was very competitive, especially with the "cash" option. Granted, each actual truck and driver is independent, but they must vet them pretty well. I would use Montway again.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Through the years, I've had lots of cars shipped to me and from me. Usually without incident. Recently, I have had repeat success with two I've bought and had shipped to me and one that I sold and recommended to the buyer. All were with Montway Auto Transport. They were all in enclosed transports. Booking was easy and the price was very competitive, especially with the "cash" option. Granted, each actual truck and driver is independent, but they must vet them pretty well. I would use Montway again.

Lucky for you..... they are the most hated brokers for the actual haulers. You should see some of the slams their president did to “them dumb truckers”.

One of our regulars got a royal screw by them before he found me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Thinking about being nice and helping my brother out with shipping a car pretty much coast to coast.

Does anyone know if the pandemic and very low gas prices are causing lower shipping prices or are the brokers still trying to squeeze everyone?
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

RocketA wrote:
Thinking about being nice and helping my brother out with shipping a car pretty much coast to coast.

Does anyone know if the pandemic and very low gas prices are causing lower shipping prices or are the brokers still trying to squeeze everyone?

Yes fuel is low but there is less moving so rates are not much different..... Brokers, well they are posting more how they are screwing drivers so there are less and less hauling for some brokers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I bought a roller project VW van in California and need enclosed shipping to Canada, with import. Does anyone have a recommendation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Costs to ship a vehicle from the West Coast to the East ?? Reply with quote

HI Samba folks

I had a 1970 VW Beetle maybe 2 years ago shipped from San Diego CA to Mechanicville NY for like $1500 to $1800 dollars...I just recently in the last couple of weeks, found an off topic vintage vehicle that ran and drove from Oakhurst CA and to ship it to Mechanicville NY the lowest quote was over $3000.00.

Is this jump in shipping due to the current pandemic?....I do know gas is less now than it was 2 years ago...

Has anybody else seen a huge jump in shipping costs recently??

Any insight would be much appreciated.

MikeC
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

yes, from Sac or SJ to Houston was 700-800 a few years back and quotes are coming at 1200+ right now
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I lined up an auto transport today and was kinda shocked at the price. Apparently, there's a shortage of drivers and a LOT of demand for auto transports for a variety of reasons recently. One is a big uptick in vintage/classic/specialty car sales of late. So that's the whole supply/demand part of the equation.

The other part as I learned over the years is location of the pickup or drop-off. If it's not on a main route or very close to it (the low-hanging fruit), the cost can go up a lot the further away from the main routes with no drop-off to exchange near the pick-up. Drivers like to stay close to main routes and have pick ups and drop offs along the way to keep the truck full, which maximizes their pay and makes their lives easier.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burfbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Well, I just contracted with 4 Corners Transport for a pickup in San Jose, CA, and deliver to Palmer Lake, CO. I'll let you all know how it goes.
slapin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

I did not use Montway, but I received a quote online. They instantly subscribed me to their text bot service to give me updates, even though I never booked with them. Also, if you call their 1-800 number, you get put through to a spam bot that takes you through 4 or 5 "very special offers for our callers" where you get to hear about AT&T internet and other useless crap. Pass.
CB_Cyclone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Burfbug wrote:
Well, I just contracted with 4 Corners Transport for a pickup in San Jose, CA, and deliver to Palmer Lake, CO. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Following
ermuckelberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Has anybody ever used Mercury Auto transport? I’m thinking about having a bus shipped and their quote is far more reasonable than any other. Far more reasonable. Any thoughts?
jdwitham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Does anyone have any history on shipping from Lima Peru to Oakland or Los Angeles? Recommendations and cost? Thanks
BCLi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

CB_Cyclone wrote:
Burfbug wrote:

Following

I just did a transport from San Diego to Colorado Springs, CO. Jeff did a great job keeping me informed, letting me know about timing with regard to having the job posted as well as the selection process for a transporter, and created an easy environment regarding payment without having to carry around lots of cash. LAR Transport was excellent - the driver Tory did a great job with the covered transport on time and with good communication. I worried needlessly about bad scenarios, and 4Corners and LAR were professional, with cost that was cheaper than all of the other 'offers'.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Who is actively hauling the West coast? I need a mom and pop to haul my 64 T34 rolling chassis, a T34 front nose clip and a roof from a Mercedes wagon from Springfield OR to Escondido CA?

Ive emailed a couple in the vendor section with no response yet.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jennieanydots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Hello! New to this forum and looking for advice on companies that could ship a Vanagon from BC to Calgary for me? Also, do you recommend covered transport or not and any idea on cost?
Thank you!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

jennieanydots wrote:
Hello! New to this forum and looking for advice on companies that could ship a Vanagon from BC to Calgary for me? Also, do you recommend covered transport or not and any idea on cost?
Thank you!

So here is what I ended up doing as you can see from my post above yours - getting zero replies - I looked on the listed vendors here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/cat.php?id=10

Keep in mind lots of these listed are brokers that are charging you to find a shipper. If thats what you want go for it. The others are smaller personal business shippers that you deal with direct.

I looked for one with a listed address/state close to me or my shipment.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Used 4corners....make sure you have all pertinent info ready and available. Pickup drop off locals, people available for either pickup & dropoff, Jeff is very busy and business orientated
If in a big hurry, I added in bonus for driver...sped the whole process up, but not necessary.
LOL dont use my name Embarassed Laughing
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Rickerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Reply with quote

Hi all - I'm trying to get a 74 non-running Transporter (purchased here) shipped from Las Cruces, NM to Glen Ellen, CA. I've registered for UBid and reached out to a bunch of brokers, but I'd love to work with a real human if possible. All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thank you
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Full Already Reply with quote

Rickerus wrote:
Hi all - I'm trying to get a 74 non-running Transporter (purchased here) shipped from Las Cruces, NM to Glen Ellen, CA. I've registered for UBid and reached out to a bunch of brokers, but I'd love to work with a real human if possible. All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thank you

Ubid & auto transport brokers make promises
regarding timeframe and transport cost in
order to get a fee for placing you with a hauler.

Most drivers make very little money.
Incentives not to work that came with
the gift of COVID-19 make the availability
of drivers even less.

You have an odd trip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Haulers are full driving east along I-10
by the time they reach Las Cruces.

They majority are dropping off in Southern California.
The route from Southern California north is I-5
and your drop off is not along the way.
A hauler leaving Southern California headed
north wants to be full to Portland & Seattle.
They don’t want to drop off in the Santa Rosa area.

Chances are your budget is too low for
the actual transport cost required to
make your trip happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: