Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The dreaded driver side panel
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Hey all,

With all the craziness going on, I figured it was time to tackle the bodywork. As it looks like my camping season is going to be disrupted, I might as well tackle it. I stared to look at the rust behind the kitchen on the drivers side. I took some paint off and it looks like there had been some work done by the PO.. there is about half an inch of bondo on there. That being said, it is starting to crack in a few places so I might as well take it out while I'm there. Has anyone been able to find a new replacement panel for this? Everywhere I have looked they are NLA. Or should I just weld some sheet metal in?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

I don't know about the availability of new panels, though generally they are not the same quality of material as the original. Rather than just patch in sheet metal I would suggest getting a piece cut out from a doner tin-top van. They didn't have the rust issues in that location like the westies.

Hans
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

The lower rocker is available. I'm not sure about the tail end of the upper. It's not an especially difficult panel to fabricate.

I did this repair recently. There are some detailed photos in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the links.. I think I am going to do something simular. Here is what I am working with. It looks like the bottom panel is also rotted out and needs to be removed. The PO must have been in some kind of accident

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

I got my panel from Bus Depot a few years ago. Looks like they are still in stock.
https://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=%...sort_order

As mentioned, may not be quite the same thickness, but worked fine for me.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

I ordered my panels from the bus depot as well. Be careful when sectioning the panels, it didn't line up 100% for me. That said, I was fairly happy with them and I would order through them again.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

You’ve got a job ahead. Wait till you have the replacement panels before cutting more apart. Post up your progress.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

You'll want this:

Brickwerks 251809293 sill panel for left hand drive body. Its the thing that goes where the RHD slider would be if it were a door. Not cheap, but you'll be much happier than fabricating a new floor..

-bobby
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Hey thanks for those links, ill check them out.The bottom end of that panel was good so I will just have to fab the top end as I got the spot welds out without any issues. Today I cut all the bad metal out and primed all the interior surface areas. Now I have to wait on a new rocker panel to show up and for the sheet metal place to open because of the pandemic.

I cut out the panel which revealed alot of rust on that bottom floor level support. Got the die grinder going and went to work and removed it all.

Primed and sealed all the grinding

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Everyone complains about lack of panels, but Günzl Classic Parts has a decient selection that's always in stock.....

Like this or this
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the link. I have been looking at some of the panels from CIP. I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two side panels?

This one seems to be a wheel well to wheel well one.. this would not fit the current bodyline

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VNG%2D95%2D57%2D00%2D1

THis one seems to have the bodyline but is shorter

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VNG%2D95%2D57%2D00%2D5

anyone know why the differences?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

There is a recent thread about windshield repair. He has a rust free donor for his project. I would PM him and see if you can get the complete outer skin. It will fit and be a better repair. Look at my gallery. I was replacing a crushed C pillar.

Have him cut more than you need. I did this for a project. I carefully drilled out all the spot welds to separate it. It’s tedious but you’ll end up with a better repair with less filler.

You’ve removed way more than the Cip panels cover.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=734114s
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

oh ya I realize that I have removed way more, I am going to fabricate the upper panel here at home as is no longer avail. I am in a crappy location for these vans and would cost way too much for shipping. I was just wondering why the body lines were different in those two selections. Just was wondering if it was a different model or something.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

The factory rocker outer panel is a separate part. I have a hard time linking photos using my phone. My one picture shows the factory rocker rebuilt using parts from a donor. Skin has not been installed. That’s where the strength comes from.

The cip panel is a repair skin only. The cip rocker seam is a pressing to replicate the factory rocker seam. The second panel would replace the lower corner of the B pillar too. Another common rust area. I don’t recognize the first cip panel.

I think using flat sheet metal stock to recreate the side panel above the rocker will be a challenge. Despite its looks, it’s not flat. You’d almost need an English wheel to shape it without using a lot of filler.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

ah okay that explains it, thanks. I do have access to a wheel, thank god for sheet metal friends. I will keep updating this as I go. I think that im going to go for the shorter panel and see how it goes
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

If you look close, you can see the installed used rocker section, the inner C pillar section I added and where I removed the original side panel by drilling the spot welds. The original side panel on both sides have a lip that was spotwelded to the B pillar and C pillar.

I had planned to replace the panel using the window frame, but in the end, the van got stripped and scrapped recently. I sold the used replacement side panel to a local member.

Looking forward to seeing your final repair. I see some rust weeping out of the C pillar seam, might be worth addressing that now.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

ugh ya good call LOL. I will get in there as well while i have it out. I am considering constructing a new interior to put back in as my kitchen is pretty beat up. Anyone have any suggestions?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Check the Samba Gallery. I’ve seen quite a few DIY setups over the years. Short of that, you might be able to recondition yours. Use the originals as templates. Some folks take them out for the extra room. The way we use our van, the kitchen is well worth the space. My wife loves “her kitchen”

Often we are driving all day, day after day. Setting up a kitchen outside the van and taking it down before heading out seems like too much extra effort.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

I think that I am going to get the wife to design something .. time will tell.

I picked up the replacement panels today at Concept 1 in Calgary. Big thanks to Ken, Curtis and their team!

Now the figment and fab work!

Last edited by hogan029 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded driver side panel Reply with quote

Your first photo did not load. Its best to upload to the Samba so the links don't get broken.

Now that you have the side panel it probably makes more sense what you need to do. You will need to fabricate a piece to go from the floor across to the new panel. That will get some of your strength back. It doesn't need to be fancy. There are some photos of DIY filler piece. I'll try to find one.

edit: no luck. Anyhow, you will want to search Kitchen Rust in the forum and gallery. Lots of folks have tackled this to different degrees.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: