Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Zincro Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but there's a nice write up of Outwesty in the 6/2019 edition of Popular Mechanics. It's good to see positive exposure of folks who are doing right by these Volkswagens.

Ha ! I wondered if anyone on here would see that. Thanks for the kind words. We love what we do. We are actually in the process of moving the rental business to the Reno / Tahoe area for next summer. Santa Cruz was great but Big Sur, where 90% of our rentals head off to is simply too busy during peak season. If renters don't plan ahead it is nearly impossible to get a campsite in this area. We already have a lift in the ground at the new spot.

Here's the article for anyone interested.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a27309613/iconic-campers/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

A lot has happened in the last few months. I decided to move the shop back to the mountains. I got to spend 65 days in the van while getting the new shop space set up. A few people say cool build, but you made it too nice to use now. Not really. The main reason I went with this color is that it does not show pin striping from branches, etc very much. I’ve never had the desire to buy a new car but this is probably as close as I’ll ever get.

I have put heaters just about every place you can in a Vanagon. Under the truck fridge, behind the passenger seat in a box, under the bench, etc but tried something different this time around. If you’ve ever driven a Vanagon all night long through a cold snow storm you may know how hard it is to keep the windshield ice free and thawed. I ended up mounting the Espar d2 between the seats aimed forward. I have two silicone hoses , one 45 deg ( that points directly at windshield) and a 180 that will direct heat to the rear. This van is so well insulated that I haven’t really found the need to aim it towards the back ever. The van is hotter than you can stand it in 10 minutes of it running. I still have to come up with a box to cover it but the isle way seems like an unused area to me and I honestly don’t really notice it is there. I will probably add two cup holders on the top of the box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by outwesty on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Great photos of the van in action! Interesting spot for the heater. I’m gonna play around with that. It’s kind of out of the way there.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
Great photos of the van in action! Interesting spot for the heater. I’m gonna play around with that. It’s kind of out of the way there.

Thanks. Unfortunately it only works on a Syncro. The fuel tank on a 2wd is in the way.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

I was wondering about the fuel tank and how to access the underside. Was hoping there was clearance.
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Any updates on this great build? Did you end up re-working the intercooler setup? Thanks
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Any updates on this great build? Did you end up re-working the intercooler setup? Thanks

Getting closer. I really didn't want to mount the intercooler radiator anywhere but the front as anything underneath is bound to get ripped off and I'm not willing to lose that spare tire area as I like to travel with two spares. I saw intake temps as high as 260 degrees on this last trip with the air/air set up (70 mph up a pass). The ALH reduces fueling with IAT this high and there's a loss of power (not sure what temp exactly)

I don't think there's any way possible to pull enough air through the rear vents for an air/air especially at low speeds. spray some water up on the engine at low speeds and watch how fast the hot steam rises out of the vents. This is nearly impossible to combat from what I've tested. Fan or not.

None of the intercooler radiators I've found will fit on a van with an A/C condenser. I randomly stumbled upon a picture of the radiator that is used in the Toyota prius for the inverter cooler. I believe this will work on a van that has A/C as it is extremely thin. I'm also using the 12v pump from a toyota as they are cheap and easy to get and seem to flow as much as the Bosch pump. The shop is busy so I probably wont get a chance to install these parts before spring but I will keep you updated.

[/img]

Last edited by outwesty on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

For winter break we spent a week in Death Valley. We did around 350 miles in the backcountry and ended up making it up and over Mengel pass at the end. Every 4x4 along the way said they highly doubted we would make it. Well, we did and it is some of the most beautiful country in the park. The 4x4 sprinter that was in front of us had to turn back. No way, no how are you getting up this without at least a rear diff lock. Its steep and off camber so wheels are coming off the ground. (its hard to tell how steep it is in the video) The best part is we got to meet up with samba member tschroeder.
He's in a pretty rad vintage slide-in camper now.

Link

Last edited by outwesty on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

wow

lovely!

the color, the details, all of it. just awesome.

looking forward to seeing the AWIC install as well. those toyota cores are cheap!
curious where you plan to route the lines also?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Beautiful pics and so close to what I want my van to look like when done. I am going for Toyota Sandy Taupe though. Little rough start on that hill climb, but it went well after that. Nice job.

What wheels are these? And tire size please.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
Escorial Syncro wrote:

Getting closer. I really didn't want to mount the intercooler radiator anywhere but the front as anything underneath is bound to get ripped off and I'm not willing to lose that spare tire area as I like to travel with two spares. I saw intake temps as high as 260 degrees on this last trip with the air/air set up (70 mph up a pass). The ALH reduces fueling with IAT this high and there's a loss of power (not sure what temp exactly)

I don't think there's any way possible to pull enough air through the rear vents for an air/air especially at low speeds. spray some water up on the engine at low speeds and watch how fast the hot steam rises out of the vents. This is nearly impossible to combat from what I've tested. Fan or not.

None of the intercooler radiators I've found will fit on a van with an A/C condenser. I randomly stumbled upon a picture of the radiator that is used in the Toyota prius for the inverter cooler. I believe this will work on a van that has A/C as it is extremely thin. I'm also using the 12v pump from a toyota as they are cheap and easy to get and seem to flow as much as the Bosch pump. The shop is busy so I probably wont get a chance to install these parts before spring but I will keep you updated.

I recently bought this project from a customers dad so the van is getting a little less attention.

[/img]

Interesting radiator, as I have to do the same on my Syncro. Do you plan on having some fans on it? Any chance you have the Prius part number?

Thx buddy!!

Édit: found it Tyc13124
2 7/16" Height
23 5/8" Width
7/8" Depth
Inlet / Outlet Ports 11/16"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
UPDATE:

Amazing build! Love the color and your attention to detail! What type of insulation material are you using here? Any photos of the interior after it’s all been completed?
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Quote:

Interesting radiator, as I have to do the same on my Syncro. Do you plan on having some fans on it? Any chance you have the Prius part number?

Thx buddy!!

Édit: found it Tyc13124
2 7/16" Height
23 5/8" Width
7/8" Depth
Inlet / Outlet Ports 11/16"

I don't think I will run any fans on it. I like to keep things as simple as possible and I don't think its necessary. The run of hose itself should dissipate a good amount of heat I'd think. The coolant in the intercooler system never gets more than warm from what I saw on the last one I did.

Last edited by outwesty on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

SlalomVan wrote:

Amazing build! Love the color and your attention to detail! What type of insulation material are you using here? Any photos of the interior after it’s all been completed?

Thank You. I used 3M thinsulate for the insulation. It's not cheap but works very well. You can find the seller on Ebay. I will get some shots of the interior up soon. Everything is finished except for the headbanger storage unit.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Beautiful pics and so close to what I want my van to look like when done. I am going for Toyota Sandy Taupe though. Little rough start on that hill climb, but it went well after that. Nice job.

What wheels are these? And tire size please.

Yeah the KEP stage two clutch is the next thing to go. It grabs immediately off the floor and it is the hardest clutch to engage that I've ever felt. It holds great but isn't even possible to drive in traffic for long. I have a South Bend stage 2 endurance clutch, G60 flywheel, TDI input shaft and a syncro diesel fuel tank ready when I get the time. That should resolve the clutch issues. I haven't had anyone drive this thing that hasn't stalled it immediately the first try. I wouldn't recommend the KEP clutch for anyone reading this that is considering it.

As for the wheels. That's Bens Doka. I believe they are German made zenders and pretty much impossible to find. Tires are 225 75 16's but it is a factory 16" so they fit a bit better than they would on a normal van.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Spent the weekend getting rid of the adapter plate and clutch set up and installing the syncro diesel tank/ bellhousing. This is in the 165HP / 300 ft lb range. The regular KEP clutch would not have held and the stage 2 held ok but was just too stiff for daily driving ( it actually broke the clutch slave arm in the end) The flywheel is also a bit too light for a TDI. I didn't plan to run this stuff at the beginning of the project but was unable to source a syncro diesel tank at the time.

Installing the TDI splined input shaft to run a South Bend TDI endurance clutch.

Had to make a dust cover for the diesel bell housing to ALH with FAS pan. I was going to have this cut on a water jet but I had to get this off the lift so cut one on the band saw out of some 0.063 aluminum.

I heard a pop from the clutch on the way home from the last death valley trip. you can see here the pivotl broke off. Below is the diesel arm which uses a different slave mount as well.

This is all just mocked up but I'm starting playing with the water intercooler stuff.

All of the intercooler heat exchangers out there are 2-3" thick. This Toyota prius heater exchanger is less than 1.25" thick and costs less than $50. Still trying to figure out how to space the grill out and make it elegant. I hope it dissipates enough heat. The water in these systems doesn't get very hot so I'm thinking it should work. If the two round vertical braces are cut this wouldn't stick out at all but I hate to do that if I don't have to. I really don't want to mount anything underneath with fans if I can help it as well.

Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Great update! Thanks.

Question, did you have to do much clearancing in the diesel bell housing to clear that clutch kit? I have the same setup but it's still in pieces and I'll be using G60 clutch kit with the custom input shaft.

Thanks for mentioning the diesel specific slave bracket, it jogged my memory to dig through my stuff and see if I've got that and the matching slave arm!

Let us know how that clutch feels please.

Thanks
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Great update! Thanks.

Question, did you have to do much clearancing in the diesel bell housing to clear that clutch kit? I have the same setup but it's still in pieces and I'll be using G60 clutch kit with the custom input shaft.

Thanks for mentioning the diesel specific slave bracket, it jogged my memory to dig through my stuff and see if I've got that and the matching slave arm!

Let us know how that clutch feels please.

Thanks

Hi Joel. There are two small tabs on the pressure plate that have to be cut off. I don't believe this set up will require any clearancing of the bellhousing but I will report back if it does. As far as I know this pressure plate has the same dimension as the VR6 one which I have run in the past without issue. I think you will be fine. I'm waiting on some parts but will report back when its all together.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

What size Donaldson is being used on this build? 6” or 7”?

Also eagerly awaiting an update on the Prius heat exchanger’s performance. It would be nice to package up front.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
What size Donaldson is being used on this build? 6” or 7”?

Also eagerly awaiting an update on the Prius heat exchanger’s performance. It would be nice to package up front.

This got bumped out of the way of other shop projects for a few days but I think I should be able to take it for a test run Friday. The Donaldson is part# is g065433. There's silicone running up the D pillar from it so this never gets dirty even after hours of dusty trails. I omitted the prius electric pump. The quality compared to the standard Bosch pumps just isn't there so I'm going to stick with the proven Bosch. The one I had on my last tdi van was still good after 90k miles. I will mount it under the intercooler behind the tail light. I mounted one underneath in the front before and it could be heard a little at idle. I'll try to update this weekend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: