Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Type 34 thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From Carcover.com, there are no pockets for the mirrors, but enough room for a standard type 3 mirror.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Updates again:

Got side trims installed (sill) and air hoses for the engine. Glass blasted and painted the coil, now it has nice blue colour and pretty Bosch -sticker. Spark plug wires are still missing, forgot to order those last time.

Noticed also that the small rubber pieces at the door edge very much looks like the same early 70s Beetle Cabriolet is using. They aren't the same as in early split window bus, bus has larger rubber and only one screw hole while T34 has two. I should know, I've bus rubber parts in hand as I thought those would fit. Fortunately cabriolet parts are available, no problem. (Paruzzi 07044, if someone needs to know)

No idea how many times I've thought "Now I have *everything*" and then noticed that "Oh no, *this* is still missing". But many times.

Floor carpets are also partially missing and because of nasty virus running wild deliveries probably won't happen soon, ~everyone in Germany (and here too) are put in quarantine at home.

Around the Saimaa -rally got cancelled as almost every other meeting/happening/rally too until end of July due Covid-19, so no hurry now.

-- OT i.e. other things going on

Had also time to repair fairings of my motorbike (cracks & broken attachment points). Put battery in yesterday, turned the key and *nothing happened*. Ouch.

Multimeter to hand and measurements ... battery OK, main fuse OK, no voltage *from* steering lock/main switch?

So main +12V wire is dead ... dig to the connector (it has only one, of course the bottommost out of 6) and find melted connector frame (for just that wire) and black spades within. Ouch.

Fortunately the main switch is OK, this is much easier/cheaper to repair: 90% of repair is done when I found the problem.

Cut the wires, put new spades and few inches new wire to extend the old ones a bit. Cover the extension joints with shrink wrap and it's as good as new. Connector frame fortunately has empty non-melted positions so I can use those instead of bypassing whole thing ... that would look too much like DIY, I try to avoid that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Given the sort of driving I do, and the distances I am looking to convert my fog lights into driving lights. early days, just a thought but interested if anyone has done this?
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:
Given the sort of driving I do, and the distances I am looking to convert my fog lights into driving lights. early days, just a thought but interested if anyone has done this?

Haven't done it, but I was seriously thinking about it when we assembled the lights. Here in North fog lights are pretty much useless in a hobby car: In summer you don't need those and in winter those are useful only in severe snow storm.

It would have been trivial to do though: Take off the beam shaper/limiter from the reflector and move relay control voltage wire from low beam to high beam
( Like here, on the right:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P2171413.JPG )

It would have a bit odd beam shape because of rifled front glass but probably not too bad, considering the effort and cost, $0.

Also you can revert the changes if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

I'd try hard to find unfluted glass lenses so they would have the desired pencil beam. Any chance another car model used something like that?

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:

On my own car I used some low beam bulbs and partial plastic housing pieces from a GM truck (the lenses from were already junk), and installed them in the fog light housings. They worked ok, and with a little adjusting worked out better than I thought they would. I think the key was to not be trying to use a bulb that was designed for a non-fluted lense. My car had been converted to 12 volt though, which made finding bulbs easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Check this thread for a clue to what might fit:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726715
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil, lots of food for thought. I think I will look at some vintage motorcycle lights for a reflector and appropriate lens.
I will let all know how this turns out. No news- its a bust.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

What's up with this little shelf - water catcher in the inner front fender behind the wheel?

It makes a puddle area for water to sit in as it can't drain out over the shelf. That's what caused the upper hole in my fender Twisted Evil

I found a gob of pinkish semi soft stuff in here, looks like old seam sealer used on vw's, when I got it all out the bottom of the shelf was gone and now the metal makes a funnel to channel the water down to the bottom of the fender, where there is no drain hole Shocked

Left side shows the gob and shelf, right side shows the gob removed. There was another gob at the very bottom of the fender as well, you can see it in the inner left shot, filling a puddle area where the fender lip joins the body.
Did Karmann really build it this way? Fix a hole in the inner fender with a gob of seam sealer?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

That "shelf" is the end of the rocker/heater channel, and is just the way Karmann ended it. Not a very good design on their part, but then these cars were never dipped in a sealing primer like other VWs were, which is why they tend to rust out in places not normally seen in other VWs from the time. At least that's what I found with my own car, in that it had all sorts of rust in odd places. It was also why I stripped it as much as I did, and sandblasted the hell out of it, so I could seal it up in epoxy primer.
You could probably add a "non-stock" drain hole in the fender if you want. Sometimes we do things that'll help preserve these cars, versus putting them back 100% stock, since we've learned about things like were they like to rust. You could also ask Pedro what he thinks too, as he's redone a couple t-34s over the last few years as well. It doesn't help that these cars were literally hand built.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Metal replaced, heater tube patched. I was really just posting to confirm that the gobs of pinkish seam sealer is factory. Seems that without it tat spot would fill up with junk and rot real quick. But I'm finding it hard to believe that Karmann would put something out like that in 1965. Now, 10 years later in the spray foam era I would believe it.
What did you find there Bobnotch? Others?
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Metal replaced, heater tube patched. I was really just posting to confirm that the gobs of pinkish seam sealer is factory. Seems that without it tat spot would fill up with junk and rot real quick. But I'm finding it hard to believe that Karmann would put something out like that in 1965. Now, 10 years later in the spray foam era I would believe it.
What did you find there Bobnotch? Others?

Mine wasn't pink, but rather white instead. Maybe they changed colors between 64 and 65.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Seam sealer is long, long gone and I have 2 drain holes at the bottom of the front fender section on my car. Much like yours, mine needed replacing. I got lucky on the rockers and mine were perfect. Drain holes in the rockers, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
Drain holes in the rockers, too.

My typ14 has 3 finger-sized drain holes in both ends of the rockers. Not from factory, but I do see why they are there.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Movement restrictions eased a bit here in North so I visited garage, not much new, but engine in place, wiring connected and some carpets on the floor.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042309.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042310.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042311.JPG

The rear seat looks so faded now (which it is, it's much darker from bottom side).

It's not broken, so we can dye it later if necessary.

Also so many parts lost which probably were there when we started to disassembly. To name a few: handbrake boot, small pieces of mesh beside rear seat and gas pedal wire rear end piece, between wire and the linkage. No visual at all about this piece, does anyone have a pic?

Boot was easypeasy, Paruzzi had new one, that linkage piece is a bit harder as no-one sells it ( or I just don't find).
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Movement restrictions eased a bit here in North so I visited garage, not much new, but engine in place, wiring connected and some carpets on the floor.

http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042309.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042310.JPG
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042311.JPG

The rear seat looks so faded now (which it is, it's much darker from bottom side).

It's not broken, so we can dye it later if necessary.

Also so many parts lost which probably were there when we started to disassembly. To name a few: handbrake boot, small pieces of mesh beside rear seat and gas pedal wire rear end piece, between wire and the linkage. No visual at all about this piece, does anyone have a pic?

Boot was easypeasy, Paruzzi had new one, that linkage piece is a bit harder as no-one sells it ( or I just don't find).

That looks great. As for the screens, I think they're on page 65 (could be closer to page 70 though) of my build thread on here, as I took pics of them when I was working on the interior carpet.

Are you asking about the front linkage (same as an early beetle?) or the rear linkage (at the engine)?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Beautiful work Kharon, impressive attention to details... looking forward to completion photos.

Vintage Driven... Oil Cooled

'62 Porsche 356 Notchback Hotrod
'63 VW Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'64 VW Bus 21 Deluxe Samba
'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Or the rear linkage (at the engine)?

Oops. Engine side.

Took a part from the engine pic above:
http://kharon.suomiforum.com/www/ghia3/P5042309_p.JPG

... it shows (at least almost) that we have the long rods to carbs and connection piece for them, but those aren't now connected to anywhere and the gas pedal wire end is somewhere on the top of the picture.

I somehow have a recall it had a short rod with attachment to ball on long rods connecting piece and on the other end hole&bolt for the wire. But that's kind of faded memory, can be wrong.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Type 34 thread Reply with quote

bullethead wrote:
Beautiful work Kharon, impressive attention to details... looking forward to completion photos.

Thanks!

I'm afraid there will be many details which are outright wrong, but really hard to fix as just right parts just aren't there. We'll fix those if/when we find correct parts.

In the meanwhile we hope no-one notices. Smile

... which leads to vague memory of Bobnotch using typ14 door seals in the front section of the doors (between door and A-pillar), do I remember correctly?

They'd be better than no seals, definitely, and as they are just glued to the door, the door shape isn't critical.

We don't plan to drive this car in the rain, but Northern summer has surprises.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 60

Jump to: