Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gasket removal help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: gasket removal help Reply with quote

quick question:

anyone have a tip for removing the intake manifold gasket from the head? mine seems to be baked on there. I have the phenolic spacer off but the outer gasket is still stuck to the head and is not coming off. I don't want to damage the head.

Does "gasket removal" spray can from the auto parts store work? I've tried carb cleaner, break cleaner, parts cleaner... and I'm getting nowhere.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: gasket removal help Reply with quote

Sometimes Naptha soaked into a rag, and then placing the wet rag on the gasket to soak into the gasket helps. Gasket Remover used to be Methylene Chloride or something similar, fair toxic but affective. The problem with fast evaporating solvents is that they dry up before getting that stubborn gasket loose. Naptha is slow to evaporate. Sharp Razor Blade, and take your time
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: gasket removal help Reply with quote

thank you!

I'll give that a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: