Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head gasket surgery with complications
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbucktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

Hey guys! So, somehow the triple pulley bolt came loose while i was on the interstate which shredded my belt and wreaked much havoc upon my old water boxer gaskets. both head gaskets were pretty dry rotted to begin with and the water pump gasket blew as well.

It's an '85 1.9 that was rebuilt and installed in 1996. Aftermarket AMC heads were probably new at the time.
Of course, it took a week for me to finally break the jugs loose from the heads, but they came off today after a river of tears.
I'm seeking some advice here on a few topics, as this is uncharted territory for me.

1. The scariest thing is that I've lost a snap ring from where the #4 push rod meets its lifter.I can't tell if this ring keeps the lifter in place or if it keeps the lifter assembled. it was already off when i pulled the rods, just sitting there, and i just left it sitting in the hole until i could borrow some interior snap ring pliers and reinstall. 200 IQ move, i know, then i started beating on the head and I'm afraid that the snap ring has fallen into a channel at the bottom of that slot. I tried to retrieve it but can't even find it. The opening is at the bottom of the hole in the block below where the end of the push rod would be. It's just big enough for the tip of my pinky to feel around in there. I probed with a magnetic pick as well. Can anyone tell me where that channel leads, and how bad of a situation am i in here? If the lifter has come apart, the book says to replace and not rebuild.

2. the piston sleeves all came out with the heads a little, but in all the videos I've watched, people have shrugged about replacing the rubber gasket where the sleeve meets the block. Thoughts? I'm working in my driveway with the motor installed, and i don't want to resleeve the pistons if i don't have to.

3. Also, I marred the head a little in the removal process. It doesn't look like there's much material there to plane off. How have y'all been handling that? JB weld and sand? or take it to the machine shop?

I've only ever gone this deep on a v twin motor. Im scared.
tbucktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tbucktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

Hello!

The ring fell at the bottom of the engine ....
it could stay there forever.... I would split the case or find a way to fish it out but with the engine in place, sounds like fun....

The head is marred in a non sealed area, leave it alone I guess.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

if you haven't spun the engine over much since it went down the rabbit hole, glue a small neodymium to a piece of copper or aluminum wire and bend the wire to fish down the hole. you'll want to make darn sure the magnet is securely attached to the wire by testing multiple times outside the engine by seeing if it can pull itself off of clean steel without separating. you'll need to bend the wire with a hooked dental pick as you are feeding it down the hole.

if you've led a good and just life, you might snag it. never works for me.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tbucktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

Holy shnikeys! I drilled a hole in a round neo magnet, threaded a pc of copper wire through, and fished the snap ring out of the oil pan on my first try! I let the whole neighborhood know how i felt about it.

So the next question is, what do i do about this lifter?
It came out partially assembled, but missing the lock ring.
It doesn't exactly match the diagram in the book.
Any ideas anyone?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

Since you said the crank pulley came loose, it seems wise to closely inspect the crank snout for wear or marring. All of this other drama is moot if the crank is damaged.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Head gasket surgery with complications Reply with quote

tbucktruck wrote:
Holy shnikeys! I drilled a hole in a round neo magnet, threaded a pc of copper wire through, and fished the snap ring out of the oil pan on my first try! I let the whole neighborhood know how i felt about it.

you must've been a very good boy!! nice job.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: