Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rear heater- how to?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskandrm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

I am an owner of vanagon 1991 transporter, and I am in process of exchanging the rear heater since it’s leaking, question, once I swap it out and reconnect the hoses do I need to bleed the cooling system? Would you please guide me how to exchange the entire heater assembly out with a new one.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

Hey - Welcome to the site.

There are a bunch of threads here that you should read to help you get going. They will probably answer a bunch of your questions:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=vanagon%20remove%20rear%20heater

It's possible that the leak is from a hose clamp or the valve and the whole assembly might not need to be replaced. Have you ID'd the leak?

To find the threads, I just typed in "Vanagon remove rear heater" into the search box in the upper right corner. Then if you have specific questions, you can post them in one of those threads.

Good luck with the repair/replacement.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

you don't need to bleed if you do this:
- pinch the 2 hoses with vise-grip prior to the heater removal
- pre-fill the heater rad with coolant and cap both ends to keep coolant inside
- quickly remove the cap one at a time, insert the hose and tighten the clam
- repeat for the 2nd hose
- remove vise-grip
- start engine, open the heater valve and check for flow and leak.

you're done
Eskandrm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your guidance, what you explain it makes sense, I will attempt to do so. Out of curiosity, how much does the car take total coolant in terms of gallons? And also how far up do you fill up The expantion tank? Not referring to The spill over tank behind the license plate.
Eskandrm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your guidance, what you explain it makes sense, I will attempt to do so. Out of curiosity, how much does the car take total coolant in terms of gallons? And also how far up do you fill up The expantion tank? Not referring to The spill over tank behind the license plate.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

4.75 gallons including everything from engine to pipes to radiator. The expansion tank should be filled up to the brim, the overflow tank (behind license plate) should be filled to the top mark (max mark).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear heater- how to? Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to bleed the system if you only replaced the heater, but you need to read up on how to bleed the system anyway. It is a skill better learned in your driveway than out in the boonies somewhere. Once you get used to doing it it should be very quick and easy to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: