Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late J pipes and heater flaps in 60 Baja beetle
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Late J pipes and heater flaps in 60 Baja beetle Reply with quote

I have a 60 Baja with a 70 engine and trans. The heater flaps are not connected and I’m not sure how to connect them. The cables come out under the rear seat but the controls on the newer j pipes don’t seem to be compTible with what’s there.

I can’t be the first person to deal with this... a search turned up nothing.

How do you connect the heat in an early bug with a newer engine?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Late J pipes and heater flaps in 60 Baja beetle Reply with quote

You don't need cables under the back seat, you need cables coming out on the frame fork by the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Late J pipes and heater flaps in 60 Baja beetle Reply with quote

Yeah. Those heater control cables come out of the forks near the parking brake cables, under the axles. The cable should have a section of steel rod attached to the wire as shown in the pics above.

The heater box (the term "J-Pipe" refers to a section of exhaust tube that replaces the heater box and has nothing around the exhaust tube) has a link with a loop to place a barrel nut like for the throttle cable, into the loop with the cable end pinched inside it by the little bolt.

If your heater boxes lack the linkage, then you may need to ask around for anyone who has junk heater boxes with linkage you can beg or buy.

Your 1960 shouldn't have cables under the back seat unless the pan is far later (1965+). The cable under the back seat are to control the flaps for air fed under the back seat. The duct for the warm air will have a 'Y' under the back seat. This ducting is part of the body, NOT the pan. This was not in Bugs before 1965. But if a 1960 body is sitting on a later pan, then the cables may be there, but not the ducting or flaps to connect them to. Your 1960 should have a knob on the right side of the tunnel forward of the shifter to control heat. If instead, it has a pair of levers next to the parking brake handle, then the pan is later. And the 1960 body should have a heat duct under the back seat with no 'Y' in it.

Per our standard, show us pics of what you have under the car as well as under the back seat. It's much easier for us to help you that way.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: