Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
I am afraid I am "winning" regarding bare spots... Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The roof and the trunk hardly have any bare spots but on the fenders and doors it looks like someone very randomly went wild with a sander to prep the original paint for a new coat Confused . All the grey spots are where I hit bare metal while removing paint with the stripper and the acetone. I just brushed some primer on to have a little bit of protection for now and plan is this spring/summer to try and blend with the original Coffee Brown (the most dark color in the pic) using my airbrush kit. The white you see is the original primer under the brown.

Meanwhile I also found out the bumpers and the engine lid have had a bare metal respray so these will have to be painted completely.

I wouldn't waste years worth of Hard Work to save a crappy original paint job!
Strip it down to the shell & repaint it all Coffee Brown or something different. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I am sure that would be the wisest decision Mike and I probably would have done that already if my budget (or my skills..) would have allowed me to (and probably will do it eventually). For now I am just having some fun and getting to know my car through and through and believe me it is a great conversation starter! Better than the most expensive concours restoration Very Happy !
Shady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

any recommendations when dealing with a fiberglass body ?

In spots I can see gold metal flake I assume its jel coat.
Its covered with a flat black and flat red might be rattle can it is very thin.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Sand/primer and paint it with base coat & clear coat if you want to be proud of the results.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I was kind of interested in seeing how it looked as gold metal flake. Kind of doubt I would like it but you never know.

So would like to remove the top paint without damaging the stuff under it.

I have read several of the how to's but they seem to be metal bodies and not fiberglass.

Mike Fisher wrote:

Sand/primer and paint it with base coat & clear coat if you want to be proud of the results.
Michael Turney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

This thread is amazing. Big respect to you all. Cool

Decided that after many years of running what always looked like a 'tidy' bus, I could no longer live with the constant cracking and bubbling of the paint.

Here's what I revealed. L345 light grey. I'm going to run her in the original paint where possible (dents and all) and blend where nessessary.

The bus had been badly painted in Italy before I owned it and had since had two repaints. The product underneath fianlly gave up and started to let go. Just goes to show that however nice a vehicle looks, it could well be hiding a mass of horrors underneath!

Progress so far has been achieved with metal scrapers and a heat gun to get the filler out.

rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I started stripping my dash to uncover the Inca red. It has two respects over it. First it was pained green them blue. The blue paint is tougher then a yellow toenail. It’s slow going for sure. The green paint wipes right off with steel wool and graffiti remover.

rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

At some point a PO went wild with undercoating and sprayed the entire trunk area. The stripped easily.

Luman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hi there
So I started my search for the OG paint on my bus, cause I knew it was born as the crazy wild westerner with the strange colours. I had allot of luck with my technique and with finding the OG paint. But it seems as someone prept it pretty good for the repaint and therefore I found allot of bare metal spot and body filler... What would you do about the spots and the filler? Smile

Cheers

Rayflem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

The only way you can remove paint from a car body , Is to sand it off or chemical remove it .I guess you want to do a repaint on this vehicle ? If it has been repainted be for and you dont want to do any major body work? just take it all apart and sand it down, And Prep it for new paint. Once you start removing paint from a car make sure to prime it .if you have bare metal a good etch primer will do but dont wait to long befor you paint it . Paint is the only thing that seals the metal. primers are porous and over time rust will start on bare metal . once a car has been repainted you can not remove the paint and hope to keep the OG paint . Most old cars have been repainted some time in its life , do to a accident or just to refresh it . you might get luck and get a car w / og paint . Good luck Ray
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Luman, it looks like your car was prepped for its repaint pretty well. I encountered something similar when trying to take my car down to original paint. I ended up abandoning the idea of stripping to OG paint, just because there was so much missing. It looks like you might be in the same boat as well.

I'd recommend saving your time and money for a quality repaint in the original color...but of course, it's your car!
Luman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Luman, it looks like your car was prepped for its repaint pretty well. I encountered something similar when trying to take my car down to original paint. I ended up abandoning the idea of stripping to OG paint, just because there was so much missing. It looks like you might be in the same boat as well.

I'd recommend saving your time and money for a quality repaint in the original color...but of course, it's your car!

They did a quite big job the previous owner! And its surprising me, cause the paint wasn't that nice :/ I'm thinking of stripping everything down and then see where I stand. The paint is coming off just with a putting knife, and some 0000 steel wool, so it's easy enough. But what would happen if I don't do anything? Rust will appear ofc.., but it should be possible to stop it? Anything else? Cause I don't have in mind to paint it yet.. Especially not with the crazy prices we got I Denmark Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Quick question.... Will graffiti remover work well on hard cracking paint?

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Luman wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:

They did a quite big job the previous owner! And its surprising me, cause the paint wasn't that nice :/ I'm thinking of stripping everything down and then see where I stand. The paint is coming off just with a putting knife, and some 0000 steel wool, so it's easy enough. But what would happen if I don't do anything? Rust will appear ofc.., but it should be possible to stop it? Anything else? Cause I don't have in mind to paint it yet.. Especially not with the crazy prices we got I Denmark Wink

You're right, bare metal will start rusting pretty quickly. Short of shooting clearcoat over it...I've heard of folks using linseed oil, pretty sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this topic. Here's a short thread I found on linseed oil. I tried using regular car wax over bare metal on my Super but parked outside, it started rusting in under a week.

Chickensoup wrote:
Quick question.... Will graffiti remover work well on hard cracking paint?

Thank you

Given the different types of paint and preparation methods that could have been used on your car, your best bet would be to buy a bottle and give it a go. I know it's worked well for some people.
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Finished (...for now... Wink )!

moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
Finished (...for now... Wink )!

Congratulations! Lots of hard work for sure!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Started restoring the bug’s OG toga white paint today. After stripping the apron, I rubbed it with 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits then color sanded up to 1200 grit. I like how it turned out and think I’ll do the whole car and finish it all with a 2000 grit color sand, cut, and polish.

Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Looks great! What did you use to strip the apron? Any before photos? Thanks.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

This corner section had some mismatched spray on it that was making me crazy. I "flicked" with a razor blade one day, and ended up doing the whole upper corner. Just used a razor blade on all of it. I've not been able to get a mix that matches it, since it's faded for 55 years. The color that I scraped off looks like it was a proper match for pre-faded, but stuck out like a sore thumb. No idea what I'm going to do, now that I've replaced one issue with another.

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Larry Engelmann wrote:
Looks great! What did you use to strip the apron? Any before photos? Thanks.

Thanks, Larry. Here are some more pictures. I used some Kleen Strip I found in the garage. It works well for the paint that’s on there. Not too aggressive. Started the deck lid yesterday. I have it easy; only one single stage layer and primer before the OG paint. I’m using a 1.5” nylon brush to apply the stripper and a 1.5” metal putty knife for the scraping.
Supplies

Decklid started

Before
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 53

Jump to: