Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Knee panel split vs zwitter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 52 split and later zwitter panels are the same? I know the dash is different but is the profile the same?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

It's the same. There may be minor differences such as holes and brackets for the rear dash protector but the stamping is the same. It is actually the same as a crotch cooler split all the way to the last oval.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

I have a pdf copy of a 1957 parts book, originally it listed the panel that you are asking about was quoted as...

111 805 405 for cars up to chassis number 1- 397 023 - pre-zwitter
and
111 805 405B for cars from 1-397 024 to 1 600 439 zwitter to last oval

However an amendment on the page indicates 111 805 405 is discontinued and replaced by 111 805 405B which would indicate that although the two parts were not identical they were interchangeable.
Sorry as the amendments are only stuck on typed strips I unlike later amendments I cannot say when the first version was discontinued or if there were any additional parts required to use the later part on earlier cars.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

I'd agree with the two posts above. The piece as a whole will fit, and fitting to the dash is no problem. I've used a donor oval piece on a split before. There is a difference out at the sides though. You can see in the pic, there's a bulge out at the sides, then it drops vertically. The earlier version is flatter there and doesn't bulge up so much. It will fit and you could leave it. When I did it I saved those outer pieces and sectioned them back in.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
I'd agree with the two posts above. The piece as a whole will fit, and fitting to the dash is no problem. I've used a donor oval piece on a split before. There is a difference out at the sides though. You can see in the pic, there's a bulge out at the sides, then it drops vertically. The earlier version is flatter there and doesn't bulge up so much. It will fit and you could leave it. When I did it I saved those outer pieces and sectioned them back in.

The difference on the sides is because of the modifications required for the crotch coolers. If you put an oval part on a crotch cooler car you are golden. You will just have to cut out the panel for the crotch coolers.

If you are putting it on a pre crotch cooler car then there are definite differences and for it to look right you would have to retain the corners from the original split part and trim and patch the oval panel in.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Here's another small detail. Look at the rear edge of the panel where it meets the underside of the dash panel. See the small trough that lines up with the starter button and ashtray? The oval panel doesn't have this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

You are correct. I forgot that I had to recreate that detail.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Tell us how you did that. Did you hammer it into shape, or weld a piece in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

hammered it. If I had to do it again I would probably make a little press tool for top and bottom to press it since it is a simple profile.

a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Do you know if anyone makes this "knee panel" ?
Dont think KlassicFab has it, Wolfe doesn't have it. My oval knee panel is heavily pitted.
Peter
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

a57oval wrote:
Do you know if anyone makes this "knee panel" ?
Dont think KlassicFab has it, Wolfe doesn't have it. My oval knee panel is heavily pitted.
Peter

I have searched high and low for that panel for the 54 I am currently restoring. I have found no aftermarket part anywhere in the world.

What I did do, was find an Oval clip with the better portion of that piece in tact (just a little rust repair) and purchased it. Mr. Ron Burgundy had it! I believe he still had just that panel laying around, but you would need to get a hold of him.

Good luck! If you do not find it, I have the old really rotted one that I have removed and will probable cut up and throw away. I started repairing it and decided to stop. If you need some of it, PM me.

Before;

The start:

Those new pieces are just barely tacked onto the original part. So, all of the old metal is still in tact.

Good luck. Look up Ron's ad. In the Oval section ad # 2369344

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Nobody makes that panel. It's a pretty complicated piece. The only option is to find a used one or patch what you have if it is patchable.

a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Hi Vw Jimbo,
Mine is only heavily pitted with no perforation. I was hoping to find a quality reproduction but I guess no one makes it. Thanks for the offer.
I bet if Mika Virtanen made one there would be a market.
Peter
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

a57oval wrote:
Hi Vw Jimbo,
Mine is only heavily pitted with no perforation. I was hoping to find a quality reproduction but I guess no one makes it. Thanks for the offer.
I bet if Mika Virtanen made one there would be a market.
Peter

There would definitely be a market. VW used the coconut felt like padding that held moisture against that panel, at least on splits and early ovals.

buglover34465
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

https://wolfparts.com/product-category/vw-type1/

The part your requesting is sold here.
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

Wolfe does make the part. According to their website it is $790.76.
I sure wish Mika made just the center portion. I bet he would sell a ton of these. So many splits and ovals are rusty in this area. My car isn't so bad that the whole piece needs to be replaced.
Mika?
Peter
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Knee panel split vs zwitter Reply with quote

a57oval wrote:
Wolfe does make the part. According to their website it is $790.76.
I sure wish Mika made just the center portion. I bet he would sell a ton of these. So many splits and ovals are rusty in this area. My car isn't so bad that the whole piece needs to be replaced.
Mika?
Peter

when I needed parts of that panel, on my old '57, because of rust issues, I just replaced the needed sections with the same sections, from a '60, I found at the junk yard - Nothing lasts forever and who says replaced parts, cant be a little different - when I sold the car, that replacement made no difference and the new owner was content, that I even made the repairs - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: