Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruising USA
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

I wonder if they’ll soon see a spike in outbreaks there... my sister works in OKC hospital and told me that many people aren’t taking the virus seriously. I know we don’t wanna stop doing the things we love... it’s a tough situation.

Here’s a text I got from her today... I was just checking in on her... she has cancer and still works there, but they’ve modified her job so she works in a different area.

Hey J...I am doing really well...my last check up was a few weeks ago & my white blood cell count was normal...we have seen a lot of positive cv cases but we havent peaked...I am hoping that we dont but we are preparing for it...no, Oklahomans are treating this like a vacation from work with a $1200 bonus...Darin's daughter works at Lowes & they got so busy Saturday that the fire marshall came in & cleared the store because it was over capacity...I had to run into Wamart to pick up a few things & there were families in there shopping like nothing is going on...it is really sad how not serious people are taking this...it truly makes me sick to my stomach...if they could spend 15 minutes in our ICU department they would have a different point of view for sure...people young & old are literally drowning to death in their own body fluids & dying without their families beside them because of visitation restrictions...could you imagine saying your last goodbyes over the phone but not being able to say anything because you have tubes in your mouth & throat...it is heartbreaking...I dont see much of that side being in the ER but I see the Drs & nurses looking completely devastated & worn down...its like scenes from disaster movies...I am glad that you, Tonya & the boys are staying in & safe...our ER is offering free testing to us so we can know if we are a carrier or even positive with no symptoms...Im getting tested Wednesday night...I hope all is going well your way...you guys are always in my heart & on my mind...love & miss you

I also have a SIL that is a nurse at Henry Ford in Detroit... she already got the virus and recovered, and went back to work... she works directly with patients laying there suffocating on the tubes.

Not trying to fight with anyone... I like cruising and socializing just as much as you guys... just be careful out there ok. I’m using this time to further dial in my two vws.

I got called back into work starting next week... I work in a small shop with only about 20 people, hygiene and cleanliness is on the bottom of the to-do list there... a little nerve wracking, my wife works from home and my kids are now homeschooling.... my biggest concern of all is them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I wonder if they’ll soon see a spike in outbreaks there... my sister works in OKC hospital and told me that many people aren’t taking the virus seriously. I know we don’t wanna stop doing the things we love... it’s a tough situation.

Here’s a text I got from her today... I was just checking in on her... she has cancer and still works there, but they’ve modified her job so she works in a different area.

Hey J...I am doing really well...my last check up was a few weeks ago & my white blood cell count was normal...we have seen a lot of positive cv cases but we havent peaked...I am hoping that we dont but we are preparing for it...no, Oklahomans are treating this like a vacation from work with a $1200 bonus...Darin's daughter works at Lowes & they got so busy Saturday that the fire marshall came in & cleared the store because it was over capacity...I had to run into Wamart to pick up a few things & there were families in there shopping like nothing is going on...it is really sad how not serious people are taking this...it truly makes me sick to my stomach...if they could spend 15 minutes in our ICU department they would have a different point of view for sure...people young & old are literally drowning to death in their own body fluids & dying without their families beside them because of visitation restrictions...could you imagine saying your last goodbyes over the phone but not being able to say anything because you have tubes in your mouth & throat...it is heartbreaking...I dont see much of that side being in the ER but I see the Drs & nurses looking completely devastated & worn down...its like scenes from disaster movies...I am glad that you, Tonya & the boys are staying in & safe...our ER is offering free testing to us so we can know if we are a carrier or even positive with no symptoms...Im getting tested Wednesday night...I hope all is going well your way...you guys are always in my heart & on my mind...love & miss you

I also have a SIL that is a nurse at Henry Ford in Detroit... she already got the virus and recovered, and went back to work... she works directly with patients laying there suffocating on the tubes.

Not trying to fight with anyone... I like cruising and socializing just as much as you guys... just be careful out there ok. I’m using this time to further dial in my two vws.

I got called back into work starting next week... I work in a small shop with only about 20 people, hygiene and cleanliness is on the bottom of the to-do list there... a little nerve wracking, my wife works from home and my kids are now homeschooling.... my biggest concern of all is them.

thanks for posting this

I had to run downtown to get 1099 envelopes saterday evening. fucking car wash around the corner from me full of cars, everybody acting like it's a car show, slabbing out swangin and bangin. truly like a vacation with a $1200 check... no masks or nothing and we are in the hardest hit zip code within the city of Houston. unreal. I wanna cruise as much as anybody but it's just not safe they way people are doing it here
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

I DID NOT intend for this to turn into another fucking COVID 19 thread,.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

I was real hesitant to post, in fear of wrecking the thread. But trust, I’m a regular person and have all the same feelings a lot of people do in the matter... I think we all feel the same ultimately.... it’s just the way we choose to react to situations that makes us different.

I hope we can curb this virus down and work on medicine to help keep us all healthy and living good lives. We all gotta get along the best we can and make life good for each other.

I’d love to show off my Lowlight and it’s new interior and shoot the shit with like minds.... but Im laying low and replacing my battery tray and doing a few more things to it . The beetle, I’m gonna take it for short country mile drives and keep edging in on getting it super dialed in.... it’s real close and the new 40 horse spins like a top... it’s a sure joy to drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

There have been a couple of small cruises here and there in our Province but nothing to that scale! And yes they are all staying in thier cars.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I DID NOT intend for this to turn into another fucking COVID 19 thread,.

Not trying to start anything either, but as soon as you essentially posted that no one involved with these cruises and car meet-ups is taking the pandemic seriously, it was going to turn into one.
That letter posted above is monumentally telling and heartbreaking.

Anyway, as far as the topic of the thread goes, I came across this group on FB awhile back and have considered checking out a couple of the meets:

https://www.facebook.com/NWA-Car-Shows-Cruise-Nights-and-Car-Enthusiasts-271838736354958/

However typically I don't fit in with the crowd that generally inhabits these shows so I have been hesitant. Plus it seems like someone there always purports to know more about your car than you do, and doesn't mind telling you so. Smile

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
However typically I don't fit in with the crowd that generally inhabits these shows so I have been hesitant. Plus it seems like someone there always purports to know more about your car than you do, and doesn't mind telling you so. Smile

I totally know what you are sayings as my wife and I are not party animals. We find that the cruises are the best in this respect that people need to stay relatively sober in order to drive thier cars around. When the driving stops, the substances come out and the music gets loud we gracefully bow out as you cannot visit effectively in the din or have meaningful exchanges without belligerent inebriated donkeys butting in.

But that's just us... cherry picking the best part of events.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Bowling Alley parking lot had probably 200 cars parked and there was no social distancing. Everybody was hanging in big groups.

That's awful.

I have to agree with this. Time will tell if this is/was a bad move.

Cruise nights around here are usually small cliques of older guys who shit on Vws in general, I have had a few Vw buds show up with me in there Buses/Bugs, nobody comes over to talk to us, total snub, which made us laugh, most of the time the wives & kids will check out our rides, but thats it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Cruise nights around here are usually small cliques of older guys who shit on Vws in general, I have had a few Vw buds show up with me in there Buses/Bugs, nobody comes over to talk to us, total snub, which made us laugh, most of the time the wives & kids will check out our rides, but thats it.

Hilarious, at least in my high school days in the 80s. It was always cliques in different parking lots. So that seems about right Laughing You had mini truck cliques, VW bros, motorbikes, Muscle cars, shit kicker trucks, middle age Hot rodder, beaters, low riders, and etc all in “Their” parking lot. Occasional fisticuffs ensued as a result from the girl with cowboy boots from another clique flirting with the VW bros Wink Cops would bust you for making to much noise with your 4, 10” speakers and make you pour your beer out in the parking lot. Was good times. Until guns came into to fashion and cruising became illegal.
Our spot was at the bowling ally Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

So far the Woodward Dream Cruise is still a go.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oa...020192001/

Maybe it will go back to like the early days, just a reasonable amount of folks cruising in their cars. There clearly can't be a million people sitting and walking eight deep along the route. Worst would be if there are people in 100,000 SUVs driving alongside the 20,000 cool cars and blocking the view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm guessing they can't allow all the official shows and unofficial car club spots along the route, like the VW location at Square Lake Road.

Link

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

Moderator Note:
Arguing removed.
I probably removed more than what was needed as I didn't have the time to pick and choose
"Chop from this point forward" Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cruising USA Reply with quote

It's Awesome to see the "Cruising USA" Spirit is Alive and Well !!
For those that have Classic Vehicles , get out and cruise them.
I've attended the Woodward Dream Cruise every year since it's beginning in 1995, the best cruising is the weeks leading up to the Official Cruise Day, people from all over the world and it is quite a spectacle to see.
But, my favorite Cruise is the weekend following the Dream Cruise, the Edward Hines Drive Park Cruise, 7 1/2 miles of "JUST Classic Cars & Trucks, 25 years and older ONLY !" ... $5.00 donation to enter goes to the Wayne Co. Road to maintain the Park. There's nothing like driving through a Park with JUST Classic Vehicles on both sides and when parked, it's a drive by Car Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbhAh1ZO6k
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: