Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I bought my H4's from Bus Depot, about 3 or 4 years ago. I just recently got around to installing them...long story, for another thread. I found the haze in mine as well, as soon as I opened the box. I used Invisible Glass, foam spray, glass cleaner. I shot some inside the housing and stuffed paper towels in there. I used a paint stick (the kind you get from Home Depot, to stir your newly bought paint) to gently work the paper towels around the inside of the lenses. I put a lot of cleaner in there, and really took my time. It seems to have worked fine. Hope this helps!
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

[quote="vwwestyman"][quote="70Crew"]
vwwestyman wrote:
Good deal-did you use anything else--strips of diaper or other cloth to swish around in there, or just the soap?

I took a 12" square microfiber cloth and cut it into 8 strips. I stuffed those into the lens cavity, added hot water, then soap. I used a plastic harbor freight trim tool to push the strips around in a circle until I felt like I got the entire lens. I them pulled the strips out one by one, rinsed with plain water, then rinsed twice with distilled water.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Find someone with a bell jar and a good two-stage vacuum pump. Put the headlight (without bulb) inside the bell jar and put it under high vacuum for a few hours. Will clean it right up.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Find someone with a bell jar and a good two-stage vacuum pump. Put the headlight (without bulb) inside the bell jar and put it under high vacuum for a few hours. Will clean it right up.

What about heating the outside of the lens? Sit it in front of a radiant space heater and see what happens.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

The issue is that the contaminants have to be removed from inside the headlight shell, and not just redeposited on some other internal colder surface. Now maybe if you purge the shell with hot dry nitrogen or argon while heating, then straight heating could work.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Link

Gowesty put out a how to video on this
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

Link

Gowesty put out a how to video on this

I would like to add that a final rinse with distilled water should lessen the chance of leaving any minerals being left on the inside of the lens. Not very necessary if you have air available to blow the lens out, but a good idea if you do not.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Just got a set of the no name bus depot h4s, the kind with the city driving light.

First, I just wanted to put it in the archives regarding the city driving light that bus depot recommends a 194 or 168 bulb. The bulb itself does not appear to have a model number on it. I'm thinking about replacing it with an LED and using it as a DRL.

Second, I too have a little bit of haziness on one of the h4 headlights. The second one is mostly clean but there's a small spot in one of the corners. I tried to clean it already with both vinegar Windex and ammonia Windex prior to searching the archives wondering if this was a new problem. I hope it does not affect the finish. I still have some stuff in there so maybe I'll go try to soak that you guys recommended.

Third, I wonder if it's actually something related to the glue that they used to glue together the headlight lens to the rest of the bulb. I wasn't really aware that you can take some headlights apart. However, when I was goofing around on YouTube looking at headlights I noticed some folks were baking headlights to take them apart and do things like adding halos or other leds. I wonder if these could be taken apart that way? it could allow for a more thorough cleaning or the addition of LED stuff if that's your thing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: