Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
bjrogers86auto wrote:
A before and after pic...see any difference?

Brian

You turned out the lights?

You shut the engine off?

Wink

I think you cleaned the firewall.

RonC

Good eye Ron! Smile

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I got around to installing my SA grill. Now I just need to find a good spot to go to aim the lights. And just to be clear, that dent dead center in the front of the van was there when I bought it. I got an estimate to fix it along with some other aesthetic/paint issues some years back and thought, "there's plenty of other things to throw that money at". It seems those other things have been addressed by now so maybe a bit of a massage and respray are on the horizon?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It might not impress the pros but, thanks to some tips from my stepdad (a retired lineman), these are the best solder joints I've ever made.

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

And the ideas keep coming and being executed upon. USB charging banks..... a double USB and Voltmeter on the refrigerator vent panel for the kiddos in the back and a combination double-USB/Voltmeter on the dash where the AC controls used to be.

Thanks Chris @uniWerks for the 3D printed plastic replacement panels.

Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

In late January we almost pulled the trigger on tickets to Australia, for some pet sitting, before heading over to the US where Wolfram is stored in (now) San Francisco.
No travel insurance available.
So winter in New Zealand now.

Rest easy Wolfram, we'll be back later.

michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Howesight wrote:
Glad to hear you are coping with your hospitalization. I am back at work in my skeleton-staffed office, getting caught up. I am happy to report that absolutely everything which could have gone right with my experience at hospital did go right!
On the home front, Mrs. Howesight was getting used to having the whole king-sized bed to herself (she's a 6 footer with the jimmy legs), but I have now reclaimed my rightful one-third of the bed! Embarassed

I replaced my windshield last May before Syncro Solstice, for the same reasons you mention. What a difference! Good luck with that project once you are discharged!

Thanks for the kind words Howesight - although I'm not actually hospitalized. I'm here receiving outpatient radiation treatments to the lymph nodes in my neck.
We were able to rent me a room to stay in before the Covid-19 thing clamped down.

I'm curious, who did you get your windshield from? and did you get a tinted one or not? Happy with the glass?

I got a new windshield from Elk Valley Glass in Sparwood (I live in Fernie), and I am happy with it. A band of blue tint across the top which I also really like, had talked about doing it in mexico at one point, so it was nice to get a windshield with factory tint.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Raring to go. Until then...

Link

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Just got a 10-12 day self quarantine due to two coworkers testing positive.

Looks like I’ll be getting work done on the euro bus project when I am not working from home. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Yeah where I work if you have any concerns about a possible exposure, you get the 2 weeks off, no questions asked. To combat any more risks to employees, we are all a limited work sked: work 1 day, off 4, and so on.

Even though my syncro is in California at my dad's, while I'm stuck in the Northeast, I've been drafting up some kitchen ideas for my tintop.

Here's my latest idea. I've already purchased the stove and sink, but I just realized I need to add a couple of heaters. I'm going to install a 110v space-saver heater while I'm plugged into shore power. I thought I'd notch the aft corner and recess in the heater at a 45 deg angle just below the stove. Also, I'm planning it around a very large fridge so I do't limit myself on fridge options later.

dobryan and a couple of others have been very helpful. It's a work in progress. I'm still collecting ideas for my other "off-grid" heater.

Here is the heater

https://www.vornado.com/shop/heaters/vmh10-personal-metal-heater

Here's my previous plan. dobryan talked me out of the 20 gallon tank...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^ FWIW I've used a AC Pelonis ceramic disc heater in the van for 20 years or so. It may be marginally smaller than the ne you've spec'd. Works great, steel case.

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Glow-BDISC6-Original-Ceramic/dp/B00JP4YCUG

https://www.pelonistechnologies.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-ptc-heaters

Again, FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I've gotten nothing done *on* the camper, but have been doing a major cleaning/organizing/reconstruction/upgrade project in the detached garage that in the long run will benefit future projects and upgrades to my camper as well as others. Still waiting for a break in the weather that coincides with me not being busy with other stuff so I can swap the Fan-Tastic vent into the high-top in place of what's in there.

Pulled a 40A 240V circuit to power the building with a six-breaker sub-panel and a 240V branch to the workbench, ran 1/2" black pipe -- and MAN does manually threading pipe SUCK -- from the closet that houses the compressor back to the bench and to a hose reel mounted on the exterior garage wall under the carport. Tore out the garbage workbench I've been suffering with since we bought the house in 2003/04 to rebuild it, replaced 55" of the sill plate, one complete stud and the bottom 16" of three others, built a new, larger and vastly more functional bench, now with actually usable storage Built a new welding cart from junk I had, brought home my little 110V/220V plasma cutter, put the 12T press on casters, threw out a lot of junk....

Soon -- I hope -- I'll be mostly done with things and can actually start working on stuff for the camper. First up is a rear bumper with hitch...
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Rebuilt the AC hoses today--so now I have the charge ports up front, just inside the passenger side headlight. No more charging in the engine bay.

It's a SmallCar Front AC system, so 28.8oz R134a. 51F at the vents on a 90F day in central Texas is pretty good. I'm happy and set for summer.

kourt
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Rebuilt the AC hoses today--so now I have the charge ports up front, just inside the passenger side headlight. No more charging in the engine bay.

That's a smart move.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Just got a 10-12 day self quarantine due to two coworkers testing positive.

Looks like I’ll be getting work done on the euro bus project when I am not working from home. Cool

Yikes! MoCo getting dangerous. Stay safe.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

"The check" arrived, so I was allowed to order a Truckfridge TF65 and an extra aux battery. Smile
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Can't call yourself a shade tree mechanic and have a nice shop or garage. I do have a driveway secluded from the street, some nice weather and a clean piece of cardboard, though. Bottlebrush trees for shade, full of bees and the hummingbird family.

Time to replace the power steering rack.

Dan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Some of the many van chores I've been getting done include today's list...

Removed and reset the banding on the front table...

Then installed a parking spot for it on the "ceiling" above the rear bench using the Campervanculture table stowaway kit. We only use the front table popped up between the steering wheel and the front seat leg stays at home.

While I was resetting shrunk or escaped banding, I re-set the banding on the cupholder...

Better...

Installed a CO2/smoke detector

And in a display of overdoing it, put the cap for the westy water tank in the dishwasher. No more gunk in the corners. Awaiting a new water level sender from Van Cafe.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Nice work!

Also admiring your CO/Smoke detector. What one is that?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Nice work!

Also admiring your CO/Smoke detector. What one is that?

Thanks. Here's a link to the detector device...

https://www.amazon.com/Combination-Monoxide-Detect...amp;sr=8-9

Abscate wrote:

b_r_u_t_o_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I tour manage bands out on the road and work local venues running sound when I’m home. Well at least that’s what I did until this hit. Looks like the career is on hold for a long while to come, perhaps 2021.

I think I’ll go camp for as long as possible, keep working on my van, and figure out the next steps.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

campism wrote:
kourt wrote:

That's a smart move.

I'm thinking through my in-dash AC project currently (still amassing parts, haven't actually done anything yet.)

Is this a smart move due to convenience? Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: