Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big plume of smoke.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big plume of smoke. Reply with quote

PB - So you've had this van for nearly 2 years and you still have not gotten proper title to it? You need to walk away. I know BC has different systems, but you getting it "inspected" in any Western economy is NOT a precursor to ownership transferring from Person A to Person B.

In the US, a hand written bill of sale is about the lowest form of paper transferring ownership and the state asks the seller ID'd on the bill if they'll swear they were the legal owner and that they had the right to sell it to you. In BC there must be a parallel system. But it would NOT be submitting the car for inspection to get license plates, registration, stickers, etc. Otherwise how would ANYONE in BC buy a project collector car that's not running? What, they'd have to invest cash to get it running before the ownership transfer? What do you think the "seller" would do every time. Correct, they'd say "No I;m not transferring ownership now that the "buyer" turned my basket case into a show car.

That's crazy PB. Get your act together. Stop working on this vehicle or the "seller" is going to come take it away from you and sell it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pburkeame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Big plume of smoke. Reply with quote

No, I have the blessing of the original owner who I tracked down. He last owned it in 2003. He got fed up with it and sold it to someone who for some reason didn’t transfer ownership. From what I understand, the original owner basically abandoned it because it was costing him too much money. I got transfer papers from him and he didn’t seem to care. I did all the paperwork, but an out of province transfer requires an inspection which I got done. The inspector gave me a list of defects which I addressed, but the smoking came up and I had to deal with that. At this point I only have time and maybe $500 invested. Once the inspector is satisfied, the van is mine. I’m at peace with the van because if anything, I’ve learned a good deal so far.
1980 Westphalia, 2WD, Manual (Under Construction)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: