Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shop Owners, Techs, what percentage of customers really annoy you?
<10%
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
11% - 33%
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
34% - 66%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nearly every single one. The cheapest part on a Vanagon is the nut behind the wheel.
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

In my young buck days I had more money than time so I worked with two great independents in my town. I always brought my own parts but always bought OEN, and offered 30% markup to them, neither ever took me up on it.

I think I got a wrong part once, and he just ordered the right one and traded the other back to the VW dealer for me.

Early in the relationship one of the techs pinched an ABS wire on a brake job in a manner obviously done by him, next time I was in I mentioned it and showed picture. I fixed it , never asked him for anything. That paid back in spades over and over. I would bring my struts down to the shop, he would let me use his wall mount compressor and in 5 minutes I would be done. I would put the labor money into a tab at the local diner where we both ate.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
How about they miscalculated their budget, can't pay the full amount and want their vehicle back. They promise to come back next month and pay the balance.

Or buy a engine from some online vendor and want you to install it... oh and warranty it.

How much of your budget do you have, in quartilesm and how many wheels do you want back. Come get your car. Bring your cash.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Since BMW was mentioned...

How many of you service both VW and Porsche? And what are the differences in "customer profile"?
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

How many of you service both VW and Porsche? And what are the differences in "customer profile"?

Differences are huge depending on things that I’m not allowed to mention, but vaguely the owner.

Story I need to share on this topic was from the late 80’s early 90’s era. I worked as a tech at an “Autohaus” (German only car repair/service) in Silicon Valley, most folks had money. We had a policy that if a recommended repair was refused that was severely safety related (say brakes metal to metal), they had to sign a document acknowledging that their vehicle was unsafe to drive. Once a woman refused and threatened to call the cops because we wouldn’t let her have the car back until we were legally off the hook without her signature. We offered to call the cops for her, she agreed to this. So cop shows up, we put the cards on the the table as to who what why when and he ponders. The cop offers the woman the option of taking her car from our building but the moment it hits the public street he will pull her over and impound it for unsafe to operate on pubic roads with knowledge of the fact and site her. She spent a few frustrated minutes then yielded to the brake job on that smart way the cop put it.

BK
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

I used to service all of them. BMW owners were not that likely to display more than a pretty casual brand awareness or loyalty, to them they chose a quality car and wanted quality service, but no song and dance routine.

Porsche almost without exception, and VW in most cases expressed brand awareness if not intense loyalty. The difference was the Porsche owners would bitch about the bill, debate the charges with you, then pay it with evident pride, while the Volksies just bitched about the bill.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

As much as I'd like to bitch about clients, most are folks I can relate with and I feel for their plight. Back when I did this "professionally", many of them were single mothers or poor college students, and as I listened to their stories, I realized that I was intersecting with a major impactor in their lives. I gather that for lots of folks here these are toys to be played with as time or interest allow, but the interactions I mostly dealt with were dire and consequential to the well being of my clients. That's a heavy burden to carry on a daily basis. I guess that's the annoyance I want to highlight. I wish I didn't have to care about other people enough to concern myself with their well being, or my impact on it or any other unrelated interest group. I really really want to disassociate myself with all of you, but you make it so damned hard. You annoy me endlessly. Stop being relatable.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

having several customers who live in their vans, full time, they can be messy.
the worst i've had was a guy who's been living in his 87 weekender for several years, i had to get to his ECU, my being mobile and not having a shop, he had to empty his van outside, i gave him new taps to put everything on, he got it emptied, and i got in there to do my thing, and i found a pair of white used Y fronts, complete with skid marks, the inside of the van was disgusting, that was the last job i did for him.

619 201 0310
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

now I understand why some shops have this sign... Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Porsche owners , the worst.

Car covers and bras, and they don’t even pronounce the ,e, on the end

Oldest daughteR...Never date a guy with a car cover, he’s just hiding small things.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Well, since I started out in a Porsche Speciality shop, I can answer this a bit.
Due to the wide difference in price between the two, back then Porsche owners often, but not always, felt their poo didn’t stink. Razz
This is nothing new in the Automotive world, I’ve run into it again and again within a brand, seeing a distinct attitude between a lower priced model and the top of the line buyers where the price difference could be $100k . A wide Gulf, but no guarantee of attitudes either.
I’ve seen owners with broken down, barely maintained cars be more demanding than someone who made loads more money.
You just never know what is going to come out of a customers mouth..... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

My favourite is the phone call that goes, "I don't mean to rush you - but will it be ready tomorrow?"
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I used to service all of them. BMW owners were not that likely to display more than a pretty casual brand awareness or loyalty, to them they chose a quality car and wanted quality service, but no song and dance routine.

Porsche almost without exception, and VW in most cases expressed brand awareness if not intense loyalty. The difference was the Porsche owners would bitch about the bill, debate the charges with you, then pay it with evident pride, while the Volksies just bitched about the bill.
. What I saw with BMW was this.
The ‘Old Guard’, the ones that were true enthusiasts early in getting BMW a foothold in the US market were pushed aside by the later ‘80s and ‘90s owners who, as you noted, didn’t know the Brand’s history, how fragile the company was after WW2, etc.
That was hard to watch as so many early adopters had laboriously paved the way for the later customers to now have a strong company with so many vehicles offered compared to the old days.
I saw a repeat of this with Land Rover, since they had been here, then left, and came back strictly in the high end of the market in the late 80s with ONE model for a number of years.... Rolling Eyes

The company was different too back then here in the US. Very small, few personnel, scrappy as all get out too.
They had to be, we were a one trick pony back then, Would you like the Base Model Range Rover Sir, or the Deluxe Model?.... Laughing

Money changes everything as the expression goes.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Back when I was in high school my buddy got his dad first into vee dubs and then into a sleek new Audi 5000Q. But his ultimate midlife crisis mobile was a bright red 928S. He fell hard for the Porsche lifestyle; divorce, shades, leather jackets, fancy boots, etc. He had this rather cheeky coffee table Porsche enthusiast's book in which there were several references to plying your mechanic with copious amounts of blow and fine liquor if you wanted top shelf service. My teenage lizard brain found that quite compelling. Too bad being a mechanic blows, and the liquor is just there to numb the pain. Not really, but kinda...

y u rune klassik?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

No, not kinda, really. Really really.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

I teed that up for you. It's more believable coming from you, since I was more of a wannabe mechanic than the real deal. But, I've experienced enough to know the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat.

y u rune klassik?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Back when I was in high school my buddy got his dad first into vee dubs and then into a sleek new Audi 5000Q. But his ultimate midlife crisis mobile was a bright red 928S. He fell hard for the Porsche lifestyle; divorce, shades, leather jackets, fancy boots, etc. He had this rather cheeky coffee table Porsche enthusiast's book in which there were several references to plying your mechanic with copious amounts of blow and fine liquor if you wanted top shelf service. My teenage lizard brain found that quite compelling. Too bad being a mechanic blows, and the liquor is just there to numb the pain. Not really, but kinda...

I loved driving the 928’s. Grand Touring Car for two.
The 911 crowd generally looked down on them along with the 924, but that V-8 sound was great, and I loved the styling. Access in the front fenders for simple things like the washer reservoir was murder, but once everything was back together , I ‘forgave’ the car for being such a pain to work on.
924, meh, it wasn’t a 944, I think the engine was a bit of a let down for some. It’s so rare now to see any of the 924,944, or 928s around here in Chicago.
I had fun reliving working on them when a former Porsche technician became our regional LR tech rep for the Midwest.
He had previously been in Southern California, where they were more plentiful, and saw them getting old in age with issues I never saw since they were far newer then or brand new when I was working on them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

I'm not in the auto repair business anymore, but looking back, I had more of an issue with the shop foreman than any customer. They control who gets "what" job, which affects your paycheck. In a sense, the shop manager controls your life. Some advise for mechanics: Be nice to the people in the parts department. The dealership I worked at did not allow you to "borrow" any parts that they had in stock, but it's so much faster to troubleshoot a problem if you can try a new part to confirm a fix. That's when it pays to have friends in the parts dept.
Also, just because you find talk radio interesting, it doesn't mean the other techs around you will feel the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What do customers do that annoy mechanics/techs/shops? Reply with quote

I asked about Pooschey owners because there is an old adage contrasting Porsches with porcupines... Laughing

I am one of the guy who had a BMW before the yuppies existed. I agree with the comment above: Once they got their hands on the marque... things went south pretty fast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: