Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Von Westy Mobile Office
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

I decided I was tired of sitting in my office chair as I've done all week long, so I moved Von Westy from the garage into some fresh air and set up my laptop and area. Also plugged in the new Renogy 100W solar panel to test.

The system does well. My original intent was to mount it in the luggage rack, but glad I didn't after today. I was able to keep the van in the shade while putting the solar panel in direct sunlight.

I'm looking forward to getting some camping in sometime in the next week or so!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

I'm considering the same thing, starting immediately... Cool

- Dave

PS: Tell us about the waistline trim strip on your rig...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

@dhaavers-The waistline strip, or what's left of it was already on the van when I bought it. There's the black channel that's riveted to the body, and there's a lighter colored insert that's supposed to fit inside it. Most if the lighter insert material has gone missing over time, and as you can see parts of the black channel are broken.

I've not been able to find anything to replace it so far, though I have to admit I've not really looked for replacement materials. I wonder if it could be remade using 3D printing?

jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

How is your solar power hooked up?
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

Haha can I jump in here as well? What paper towel holder and what fan is that? I’d love both of those things on my rig Smile
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

@jttosh-so far so good with the panel. Just started testing it with the system fully connected. Renogy 100W panel with Renogy Adventurer solar controller. I originally was going to mount the panel in the luggage rack, but glad I didn't I can keep the van in the shade and move the panel around to get full sun exposure. I do need to upgrade my Aux battery to make for a more robust system.

@YosemiteBound-both the paper towel holder and little R2D2 inspired USB fan came with the van when I bought it. The holder is a simple metal strip with two round plastic pieces on each end to hold the cardboard tube in paper towel roll. Currently it's being held by some strong magnets.

The little fan works great, easily maneuverable. I've put it in place when I've got the rear A/C going and needing a blast of cooler air up in the cockpit.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

@jttosh-Forgot to include how it's connected. I added 20 ft. extension cables so I could move the panel around. Those are attached to a MC4 to SAE adapter. I've got a GoWesty solar panel connector with SAE connector, but the polarity was reverse what it needed to be, so I bought a reverse polarity adapter.

Here's a list of the items I got off Amazon:

Solar Panel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GF5JY35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MC4 to SAE Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1TALFY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Polarity Reverse Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VGGXDTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Renogy Adventurer Solar Charger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBKFTNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solar Adapter Cables
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWBVMSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

Ours was a combination home school/home office today. (I'm also replacing the canvas which added to the allure).

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

That's a great "open floorpan" office!

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

I've been working in my driveway from mine for about two months now. It doesn't make my job suck any less, but it's comfy.

I've found that on cold, wet days, i prefer the bench and a narrow table, and some days I like the passenger's seat and use a Westy front table.

I added a jump seat back in this week because it seems to be the best for posture and work position when you're on the job for eleven hours per day.

I can't go out traveling or camping, but at least it's being utilized.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I've been working in my driveway from mine for about two months now. It doesn't make my job suck any less, but it's comfy.

I've found that on cold, wet days, i prefer the bench and a narrow table, and some days I like the passenger's seat and use a Westy front table.

I added a jump seat back in this week because it seems to be the best for posture and work position when you're on the job for eleven hours per day.

I can't go out traveling or camping, but at least it's being utilized.

Really digging the new bench seat blanket, Joe!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Boy that does look so familar! I'm thinking I need to get a Westy seat on the passenger side to lower the height. I had to swap over my Passenger to Drivers side coming back from Moab because of a well placed lump in my back from the heating element. Neither one is a Westy Seat...another entry in the "to Do" list... getting my front seats sorted out.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
@dhaavers-The waistline strip, or what's left of it was already on the van when I bought it. There's the black channel that's riveted to the body, and there's a lighter colored insert that's supposed to fit inside it. Most if the lighter insert material has gone missing over time, and as you can see parts of the black channel are broken.

I've not been able to find anything to replace it so far, though I have to admit I've not really looked for replacement materials. I wonder if it could be remade using 3D printing?

My '86 Syncro has the same kind of bumper strips. I'm pretty sure it was a dealer-installed item. Yours is way up along the beltline, mine is along the lower beadline above the body seams. Kinda nice when it keeps car doors from bumping the paintwork, if the car happens to be at the right height, but lots of taller vehicles these days might miss mine, but could hit yours. Many US-made cars and trucks used to come with this. The rubber inserts are probably a standard item, possibly coiled stock, if you can just find the manufacturer.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

I'll confess I do that regularly too. I work 100% remote, so its nice to have a change of scenery sometimes. I've got a wifi booster setup in my rig, and I'm thinking I might add a cell booster as well in the near future.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:

The B pillar looks good body color. The vinyl on mine is peeling away and I've been debating re-gluing it or replacing it, and was wondering about just removing it.
There's a lot of space in that panel next to the seat. Did you remove a support? For a long time I've wanted to make pockets in those cutouts but don't remember that one being so big. Looks like it's finished out nicely inside that pocket too.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

erste wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

The B pillar looks good body color. The vinyl on mine is peeling away and I've been debating re-gluing it or replacing it, and was wondering about just removing it.
There's a lot of space in that panel next to the seat. Did you remove a support? For a long time I've wanted to make pockets in those cutouts but don't remember that one being so big. Looks like it's finished out nicely inside that pocket too.

Mines a Riviera, not a Westy so the interior is different. Thats why it looks that way. I've not modified any of it.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:

Mines a Riviera, not a Westy so the interior is different. Thats why it looks that way. I've not modified any of it.

Maybe that cubby is missing a door? I can see now that it doesn't sit flush with the body like I thought. Hard to tell from the pic.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

This is the exact plan I have for ours when it's finished. Cannot wait to escape the home office in London to somewhere a lot more green and quiet.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

erste wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:

Maybe that cubby is missing a door? I can see now that it doesn't sit flush with the body like I thought. Hard to tell from the pic.

Nope, never had a door. Here's a closer look at it for ya. The hole up top is a built in cup holder. There's two of them there but the curtain hides the other one.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy Mobile Office Reply with quote

I still use Von Westy on occasion as a "mobile office", but lately I've used it as a mobile reading room. When I want to get away from technology I pack a couple of books in and head to a low or no signal destination.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: