Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Question Reply with quote

I am just really pleased to see that people are actually talking about the opportunity to utilize campsites in State and National Parks! I currently have/had 35 nights booked for 2020 including 21 nights in Oregon/California that I am hoping become 'open' in time for me to use them. It appears that most are closed until mid/late May, so fingers crossed as my May long weekend reservation is already toast. The OR/CA trip was a ton of work and an exercise in perseverance to book in that for some campgrounds you need to be online, day-of, at the exact time or they are gone in the first few seconds. I once read that that booking a European vacation is less onerous that is booking a California camping trip of the same duration! Best of luck to everyone and hope we can use our rigs soon.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Question Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
When my wife and I are simply racking up miles for a few days in a row, we'll take whatever crash pad we can easily find for the night, and it's often an RV 'park' near the highway. We find that this demographic is usually older, quieter, and retire to their giant white cubes at sunset, presumably to bake a Ritzy Chicken Casserole and watch the game on a giant flat screen. My wife and I are often the only ones left to quietly enjoy drinks around a campfire in an otherwise eerily silent 'neighborhood'.

By contrast, many tent campers seem to think that the Great Outdoors equals blessed Anarchy, whooping and hollering and playing Beer Pong thirty feet from my bed until 2AM ...

I agree. Many RVers now just go inside and watch TV and it's the younger people who want to stay up until midnight drinking beer and talking loudly around a fire. Campsites with electrical means that they don't need to run generators, so they're usually quieter, in fact, dispersed campsites can sometimes be the worst because RV's generally run their generators and there are no quiet hours. The other thing, here in the west is the guys who want to shoot off their guns at dispersed campsites. I was in Wyoming one night at a USFS campsite which had dispersed camping close by. It sounded like a firefight with all the semi-automatic weapons going off. This was after dark.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: