Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanity check my gauge wiring plan
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

I'm installing three VDO gauges (tach, oil temp, oil pressure) in my 76 convertible. They will be mounted on the speedo cowl, with wiring harnesses passed through the dash metal (in grommets of course). Sensor wires I have run from the engine compartment under the carpet.

I need a source of ignition switched 12V and light switched 12V for the gauge power and backlights, respectively. And a good ground.

My plan is to tap into the back of the headlight switch for the 12V+.

Specifically:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tap into X for ignition switched 12V (my switch does use this terminal). Total current for all three gauges should be less than 0.5 amp.

Tap into 58b for light switched 12V. Total current for all three backlights should be less than 1 amp.
(I'll solder and shrink wrap all taps.)

For ground I'll sand a spot on the firewall and put a machine screw through the sheet metal.

Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for your time!

Last edited by virusdoc on Tue May 05, 2020 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

I've had those 3 gauges in my own VW for over 4 decades.

I tapped into the fuse box for 12 positive switched power and the cluster illumination for their light circuit.

Ground is any screw or bolt that goes into body metal.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

My plan worked fine. All gauges operational. Thanks for the reply, Cusser.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

Just a note... the "X" wire at the headlight switch is NOT fused. The black/yellow "X" wire that runs to the headlight switch does come from the fuse box, but it comes from the unprotected side of fuse #10. You can prove this by removing the #10 fuse (simulating a blown fuse). Your gauges will still be powered.
This means you need to add an inline fuse to protect your three gauges.

Alternatively, tap your power from the OUTPUT side of fuse #10 where your wipers tap power from. This side of the fuse is protected. The additional load of the gauges should not be a problem.

Just be aware that by using the "X" circuit... your gauges will be powered when you initially turn the gauge to ON/RUN. When you rotate the key to START your gauges will loose power from the "X" circuit. The entire "X" circuit is not powered while the starter is cranking the engine. When the key is rotated back to ON/RUN the gauges will have power once more.
If you want to see your tach and oil pressure gauge readings WHILE you are cranking you should switch from the "X" circuit to the #15 circuit (fuses #11 & #12) which ARE powered while the key is in the START position.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Just a note... the "X" wire at the headlight switch is NOT fused. The black/yellow "X" wire that runs to the headlight switch does come from the fuse box, but it comes from the unprotected side of fuse #10.

Yep, the circuit to the dash lights on my 1970 burned/melted in November 1976 at the Phoenix Zoo. I wired the dash lights up to the ignition circuit so they're on whenever the engine is running, like that ever since.

Now I've even added in-line fuses for the un-fused circuit back to the coil positive terminal on my 1970 and 1971; the 1970's original wire grounded out somewhere in its length while driving in late 1970s, so I ran a new wire for it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity check my gauge wiring plan Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Now I've even added in-line fuses for the un-fused circuit back to the coil positive terminal on my 1970 and 1971...

This is cheap insurance to prevent accidentally meting wires. I recommend doing this as well.
The downside (and possibly why VW did not fuse this circuit) is that any surge that might blow this fuse will instantly kill your engine. This could be dangerous if it happens while driving... but then again, an engine fire while you are driving caused by the #15 wire melting could also be dangerous! Razz

I carry spare fuses and a multimeter to troubleshoot my ignition circuit if the problem ever happened. Very Happy
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: