Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: File this one under "Things I didn't know I needed". Reply with quote

Just as I was getting ready to start fabricating patches, I mean JUST as I was getting ready, I see/notice that in that down leg on the right side of the car, where the "captured" bolt screws in, that the capture thingee is rusted! Kripes, the one on the OTHER side that was fine, everything else was pretty bad. GO figure.. Why, oh WHY didn't I notice that before?

So I had to remove the old one, and prep the bed for a repair.. (grumble) Isn't that the way these things go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I scrubbed 'er clean, and made a little thin cardboard template, even put the hole in it, and cut it from my stock of 22 ga. I think it will work nicely with a little more filin' and trimmin'..

I'm thinking some weld thru on the area, then in the down leg, Eastwood's Rust encapsulator, and then weld her in with some light tack welds. I don't want to use a paint or a treatment that will prevent the little captive bolt thingee from sticking, I'm thinking, so I will cover that area so it doesn't get painted. Maybe later I could put in some oil or something to minimize the rust...... I dunno. Ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Naval Jelly. Follow that up with a weld through primer or just primer.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: My first major panel It's in! Reply with quote

Before I welded the 1/4 panel patch in, I took one of my mentor's advice (again) and did a practice weld. I was welding 22 ga with a 18 ga patch panel. I found a 22 ga scrap of a piece I took out and used it and some new 18 ga.

Looks like it will work.
So I made sure she was in place, clecos, visegrips, etc and welded her up.

I think it turned out OK. I did go and put a few extra welds here and there in at the end, but I'm pleased.

I kinda like the Frankenstein look, maybe I won't worry too much about softening the look here at least. Smile

Next I suppose is to get that tower bracket temp'ed in, and then weld the tower repair patch in.

On the right hand down leg. I went with Ospho (because I had it), then after a day, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. Again, because I had it. I tried welding, but I didn't have much luck. I guess it was too thin onto too thick or something; my welder and I just couldn't figure it out so I went with a few bolts to hold it in place. If they last for 20 years I'll be happy. Smile
I'll put some primer or something over this so it won't rust out again, but I don't want the paint to "freeze" it stuck so it won't slide as designed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: First part of tower IN! Reply with quote

I did the first part of the tower repair today. Work was slow, I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I was getting tired and I didn't want to get hurt.
I think some of it may have been the very awkward position of the car. It is sitting on a wooden dolly, up about 4 feet in the air, so....you get the point.

Just the one shot; I will do more soon. Hopefully tack in that rear part, then tackle the tower bracket itself.
Then done with the tower repair this side. I can almost see the light.....
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Quick update Reply with quote

No pics, no majors. No nuthin'.
bleh! Been very busy with end of year (school) stuff so VW has taken a second (third?) place.
I guess that's what it's supposed to be right? It isn't important, right? I mean, there are 2 billion Chinese who couldn't care less that I haven't finished my tower repairs yet.....
Argh.. more soon I hope.
Standing by.....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quick update Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
No pics, no majors. No nuthin'.
bleh! Been very busy with end of year (school) stuff so VW has taken a second (third?) place.
I guess that's what it's supposed to be right? It isn't important, right? I mean, there are 2 billion Chinese who couldn't care less that I haven't finished my tower repairs yet.....
Argh.. more soon I hope.
Standing by.....

Yep, exactly. But I, and several others enjoy your progress.

I like reading, “soon”, the “I hope” part is not building my confidence level, though.

See you soon. You are doing great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Yeah, welding in that trunk SUCKS! Very awkward. Especially when you get a little older. I'm the same age as my car. Smile

Keep it up! And there's nothing wrong with taking a break now and then. That's healthy. Just don't throw in the towel!

-Jeremy
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Getting ready for the big one... Reply with quote

and I’m not talking about an earthquake either. I think I’ve been kinda scared about getting this tower bracket welded in. Today I just said I’m gonna do it. I put down the weld thru, and started in. I just wasn’t quite satisfied with my fit... Oh I’m stalling again, I know I know, “it doesn’t have to be factory”......

So, I get some #8 flange bolts and nuts, and lock in the bracket; take all my measurements and it looks pretty good! All the numbers jibe, so I get that locked in....

Then I start on the tower panel patch-now this really does need some attention. Hey! I get a chance to try out my new shrinker. It actually works! Imagine that. Now some love on the front/leading edge of the patch-it was a bit too proud, so I got that knocked down, a few more flange bolts and nuts to hold everything in place, and.....it’s time for the grandkids! I know I know, it’s the actual welding I’m stalling isn’t it? Sigh.....

Well, I did have to clean up, it will be there tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, you don’t know how MUCH it helps this one newbie. Tomorrow!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Dude! Tack those in! Your almost over the hurdle!

But, definitely put the grandkids first! You are well aware of how fast they grow up!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper, I just clicked on your topic this morning and read through the entire 8 pages. Carefully. Only interrupted by having to feed the dog, feed the kid, make another cup of coffee, bathroom break and applying eyedrops to help relax the fade from staring at a screen. But, this entire topic was very enlightening. It's made me realize a few things.
-You're brave.
-Braver than me.
-The good dudes on this page really feel like the village ehlping to raise a child.
-I wish i was brave.

I have been without work since Maryland shut down. I have a 72 SB project that I could not start until I got a few things done. ALL my projects were predicated on me getting a shed built to clean out the garage. And I JUST finished the damn shed yesterday. Between getting concrete poured and the damn near two weeks wait for my shed kit to be delivered and the damn rain delays it took the better part of two months to get me to where I am today.

So, I've been on the forum asking some questions in preparation of the project start. I am eternally grateful for buying a car from a gentleman in Richmond, VA (he may be on this forum) who knows his stuff with VW's. After my walk through I have found practically nothing more than minor surface rust. If I see what you saw when I pull it apart I may just decide that suck-starting my Glock could be the better option. (It's a joke...) I have never welded before and this, my 2nd 72 SB, will be the first time I tear apart a car for a full project. (I've done one of my motorcycles before but never a car. I intend to enjoy it even though I have already cleared an area in the yard specifically for throwing things out of frustration.)

Thank you for your intuitive post, the pictures and to all the guys giving assistance along the way. My "official" thread should start soon!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

r6kid wrote:
Chinaclipper, I just clicked on your topic this morning and read through the entire 8 pages. Carefully. Only interrupted by having to feed the dog, feed the kid, make another cup of coffee, bathroom break and applying eyedrops to help relax the fade from staring at a screen. But, this entire topic was very enlightening. It's made me realize a few things.
-You're brave.
-Braver than me.
-The good dudes on this page really feel like the village ehlping to raise a child.
-I wish i was brave.

I have been without work since Maryland shut down. I have a 72 SB project that I could not start until I got a few things done. ALL my projects were predicated on me getting a shed built to clean out the garage. And I JUST finished the damn shed yesterday. Between getting concrete poured and the damn near two weeks wait for my shed kit to be delivered and the damn rain delays it took the better part of two months to get me to where I am today.

So, I've been on the forum asking some questions in preparation of the project start. I am eternally grateful for buying a car from a gentleman in Richmond, VA (he may be on this forum) who knows his stuff with VW's. After my walk through I have found practically nothing more than minor surface rust. If I see what you saw when I pull it apart I may just decide that suck-starting my Glock could be the better option. (It's a joke...) I have never welded before and this, my 2nd 72 SB, will be the first time I tear apart a car for a full project. (I've done one of my motorcycles before but never a car. I intend to enjoy it even though I have already cleared an area in the yard specifically for throwing things out of frustration.)

Thank you for your intuitive post, the pictures and to all the guys giving assistance along the way. My "official" thread should start soon!

Man you don't know how that post made my day, heck, my week. Thank you so much for posting that.
I started welding in 2006, I replaced some rocker panels on my F-150, and haven't done much welding since about 4 months ago.
I am struggling, learning, making the mistakes I know, but I can see some progress. And you are right, it is GREAT to have the help on this forum, especially VW_Jimbo and Jeremy_G.

So my advice?

Just do it. I, too, was amazed at what some people were doing. Just try! You might be pleasantly surprised. I guarantee you will be ahead of the game, because now, YOU, will be participating!
CC

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: It is alive!!! It is ALIVE!!! (a la Mel Brooks Young F'kenstien) Reply with quote

OK maybe not alive, but it is IN!
I did it! It looks like Frankenstein's monster, but it is MY Frankenstein's monster, dang it.

And the inside (welders, avert your eyes if you have weak stomachs)

and the top:

SO Iwarned you it isn't pretty, but it's IN!
All my measurements are good, all the angles are good. A little light (I jest) grinding, some filing, a little this a little that, and voila! C'est tout!
Well, maybe some more work on that fender bead area. (ya think?!?!)
Put in some fender nuts (I'm gonna go with the stock square ones if I can find 'em), then attack the other side with aplomb.....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looks good. Finish up the welds. Then add some artist to the job. Grind the big welds down, but don’t go too far. Get it close to flat, but the bead still has a slight ridge. Then take a sanding disc and blend the edge into the adjacent areas.

Then epoxy prime all that bare steel. That way all that work stays good for years to come!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: It is alive!!! It is ALIVE!!! (a la Mel Brooks Young F'kenstien) Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

Put in some fender nuts (I'm gonna go with the stock square ones if I can find 'em), then attack the other side with aplomb.....

I plan on using something like these when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Square-Carbon-Steel-...mp;sr=1-17

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looks good. Finish up the welds. Then add some artist to the job. Grind the big welds down, but don’t go too far. Get it close to flat, but the bead still has a slight ridge. Then take a sanding disc and blend the edge into the adjacent areas.

Then epoxy prime all that bare steel. That way all that work stays good for years to come!

Thanks Jimbo! Good ideas, will do 'er.
This was a big step for me, so pardon me if I seem like I am a bit proud...Crazy isn't it?
I know I have much to learn and accomplish, realistically I know altho NO WHERE near a great job, this was still a good "feel good" accomplishment for me. Dancing
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: It is alive!!! It is ALIVE!!! (a la Mel Brooks Young F'kenstien) Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Chinaclipper wrote:

I plan on using something like these when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Square-Carbon-Steel-...mp;sr=1-17

Perfect! thanks Dark Earth. Just bought a pack of 10 for under $7.
CC
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
Thanks Jimbo! Good ideas, will do 'er.
This was a big step for me, so pardon me if I seem like I am a bit proud...Crazy isn't it?
I know I have much to learn and accomplish, realistically I know altho NO WHERE near a great job, this was still a good "feel good" accomplishment for me. Dancing

You are welcome!

You did fine. You will continue to get better.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Clean 'em up! Reply with quote

So today is grind and prepare day. Sigh....It was another job I have been postponing, but now, since I am almost ready to button up the driver side wheel well (well, almost), I need to start thinking about priming the luggage area. Which means take everything out.

Since I am going to epoxy prime/MCU the front luggage area anyway, it was time to get everything out of the front compartment and get it clean, ready for the primer paint. BTW, JBugs has a real nice set of videos for breaking down a 1971 Super Beetle, so I suggest them as good resources.

I am NOT planning on blasting, I don't have the gear. Soda blast? HF has a system for about $150.. Hmmm.....Anyway, maybe clean the nasty stuff off, then scuff up the paint with whatever I have around before I paint. There is actually very little rust in the luggage area, I guess I got lucky. (or it's hiding)

I did do some preliminary grinding in the tower area, and the bracket setup, then started in with the removal thing. I'll finish grinding after I get things clean in the compartment, then the right side, and ready for painting.

A few things learned=

1) That LAST bolt in the steering column, that M8 bolt and nut on the distal end of the column HAS to come OUT. There is a groove in the steering shaft that they don't REALLY tell you about; that holds the thing in. I spend at LEAST an hour trying to "yank and crank" and get that darn column out of the car before I found this little gem. "You can't just loosen it, it needs to come OUT!" Then it comes out in 5 seconds.
2) The windshield wiper motor is also a bitch to get out.. more than I thought so....
3) I am FINALLY beginning to understand the wiring harnesses, now that I have almost removed them all. BTW, Do NOT pull the one in the O/H-side courtesy light out. That one you will use to pull the new one in. I did remember that little suggestion. I will make a little tool (Thank you Samba) to get the "escutcheon" covers off the switches. (love that word).
4) I am quite sure it is a LOT easier REMOVING than it will be REPLACING all these parts, in spite of all my labels and marking.

Next I guess is to clean up the compartment, all the harnesses (I am going to just break down and get all new wiring harnesses) and then get the right side wheel well area ready, ie patched and rust repaired. Then prime this thing. Then DONE with the front end. Then I work my way into "da da da", THE FIREWALL.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Easy peeve!

A shop vac works for running wires through the body, along with patience.

Set the vac up and hold it onto the dome light opening. Then with it running, feed a string up into the A pillar and watch it start moving. I will tie a small piece of a paper towel onto the end of the string to get it to move more quickly. But sometimes it gets stuck.

Works like a charm. Trick comes from years of pulling wires through long conduit runs.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Ideas about cleaning front storage area/trunk Reply with quote

What can I use to clean this? It's just grime and dirt from like 50 years of use. Minor, very minor surface rust in a few places, but mostly just GUNK.
Ideas? I am planning on using the Master series or epoxy primer to paint, then eventually covering that with a final coat o' green, it's original color.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Easy peeve!
A shop vac works for running wires through the body, along with patience.
Works like a charm. Trick comes from years of pulling wires through long conduit runs.

Ahh yes! I used that trick when I set up my home theater. Pulling those speaker wires and internet cables thru 30 feet of conduit was a real chore, until someone told me about that one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 40

Jump to: