Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165-SR 15 tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Good call on the Michelin tires.
They are expensive , top of the range tires even if you live in Europe like I do, here in Ireland.
They are always in the top 3 of pretty much all Group tyre test conducted by professional bodies and are standard equipment for many new cars that are not in the Economy sector.
Good tires that cost good 💰 are above the rest because they are good in the wet And good in the dry.
Cheap tires tend to be just fine on a dry road in general. However they can be lethal on a wet road.
Good tires can save your life.
Cheap tires can end your life and/or someone else's.

Btw , my daily driver 1200 standard bug for the last 12 years. doesn't have Michelin's, I have
Falken. tires and they are probably 95per cent as good as Michelin's but cost about 40 per cent less. The choice is yours.
If I had a more powerful bug I would splash out for the Michelin's for sure.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:

Good tires that cost good 💰 are above the rest because they are good in the wet And good in the dry.
Cheap tires tend to be just fine on a dry road in general. However they can be lethal on a wet road.
Good tires can save your life.
Cheap tires can end your life and/or someone else's.

This is a naive blanket statement that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. More expensive. big name brand does not always equate to longer lasting or safer.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I began searching the local tire shops (which there are many here) and the only options that became available were brands I had never heard of, like Thunderer, General, Classic, etc.

Just as a point of clarification, General Tire is most definitely NOT a non-name brand. They're part of Continental and they sell very nice tires for a reasonable price. All of the tires on our daily drivers (both summer and winter tires) are Generals and were made in either the US or Germany.

I looked on their website and from what I saw General Tire doesn't make a 165/15 tire that will fit a Beetle. If you saw something in a store that WOULD fit and had the name General on it, it must be some obscure Chinese brand or something.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

"I looked on their website and from what I saw General Tire doesn't make a 165/15 tire that will fit a Beetle. If you saw something in a store that WOULD fit and had the name General on it, it must be some obscure Chinese brand or something."

The General brand I was informed of is based in China.

I have family who use the quality General Grabber tires and I should have made that clarification. Thank you for pointing that out.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever used these? Thinking of using them on my '75. https://www.cokertire.com/tires/600-15-bf-goodrich-blackwall.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgreensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Has anyone put "Confidence C3" 165/80R15 on their Super Beetle? This is the tire that Les Schwab wants to sell me for my 74 here in Washington. Would love to know if anyone has experience with these tires.

https://www.lesschwab.com/confidence-c3-113477326.html
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

The tread on the looks like my Nankang tires.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

pgreensoup wrote:
Has anyone put "Confidence C3" 165/80R15 on their Super Beetle? This is the tire that Les Schwab wants to sell me for my 74 here in Washington. Would love to know if anyone has experience with these tires.

https://www.lesschwab.com/confidence-c3-113477326.html

I have them on the front of my 67. Yeah I know you are asking about an SB.

They drive pretty good. To be honest, I haven't pushed them on a spirited drive, Yet!

On the rear, I have L.S. Reputations. Big fat things. So the car is a little out of balance. End to end. But the intent of my car is drive down the hiway. Or drive down the 1/4. Not really cornering hard these days.

Previously the car had Nankangs. Those tires gripped, very well during spirited driving.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I get tires from Longstone in the UK, free shipping to the USA www.longstonetyres.co.uk
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Hello, the latest post is over a year ago... I looked over the 17 pages of posts and seen i believe 4 pictures of actual tires on a rim, and pictures of 3 cars if we are talking a picture where you can see the entire car and not a closeup of the tire. Of those 3 they were 175/80/15 and two cars with 165R15.

Ok, i'm hoping we can get some pictures of 10 feet or more showing the whole beetle. I'm hoping for 155R15 and 165R15 tires on Beetles.

I have a 67 beetle and most of the tire sites show a 155 as the tire and when i have 165-15 in it says no fit... but i know they do.

When i searched it seems these are still available.

165R15 nexen sb802
155 and 165R15 Vrdestein Sprint Classic
Michelin xzx 165sr15
BFGoodrich Radial T/A 155/80R15

I'm trying to get as stock looking as i can. i know all the conversions and 155 radial came were available back in the day. I'm leaning towards the 155 but need a few beetle picts to make the decision. If you purchased any of these tires or others and post a pict and share the experience on the tires it can be helpful to all.

Picts please!! Shocked

thanks!
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim

Last edited by RBurn on Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Vredestein Sprint Classic 155SR/15 on 1966 Beetle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

This is my '69 with BFG Silvertown Radials (3/4" whitewalls) in 165/80-15.
They are pricey, but my research showed this was the correct look for the
'68 and '69 models. I bought them at Summit Racing back in November '21.
I'm using a Nexen blackwall (in the same size) as my spare. The spare tire well is definitely meant for a 155 or 165-15. I was unable to get the larger 165/80 into the well until I made a little modification ... fits snug now when properly inflated.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Vredestein Sprint Classic 155SR/15 on 1966 Beetle

Excellant Picts, love the far and closer with wheel. Thanks!

I'm settled on the 155 size. i do see the Vredestein i'd have to order but it seems it's like $117 ea but shipping is free. Locally america's tire can get the BFGoodrich... about the same price. seems Vredestein is made in netherlands and BFGoodrich is most likely mexico (from 2019 source)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

The BFG Silvertown WW are made in Mexico. No issues with appearance or balancing them though.

The only thing I am aware of with regard to the Vredesteins is a caution about use in lower temperatures (< 40º F). I noticed you are in No. Cal so this probably won't be and issue for you unless you are at a higher altitude in winter.

You can go to this link at Coker Tire to see the info about lower temps:
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/155sr15-vredestein-sprint-blackwall-tire.html

BTW I noticed that they have the Firestone F560's in the 155R15 size as an alternative for $108:
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/155r15-firestone-f560-blackwall-tire.html

Let the good times roll! Smile

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Forgot to mention Summit Racing. They have free shipping over $99, but charge an oversize fee ($9.99 per tire).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bfg-06462

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

One more close-up of the Vredestein 155 SR 15.

Notice the wheel weights?--------Yup, there are none. I bought the Sprint Classics from TireRack and had them mounted at a little shop who couldn't balance the wide fives. I figured I'd use balancing beads if I had to, but all the way to 80 mph they are smooooth as glass without balancing!
I have no intention of driving in the Winter, so that is not a concern.
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Ok had my rims painted with correct colors and went with P155 /80 R15 BF Goodrich radial ta. Americas Tires a local store had them in a day. Balanced with weights on inside. Rides beautifully and of course the spare fit nicely. Finally getting close to finishing this beetle.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Your painted wheels and the 155's look great, RBurn!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Pirelli Cinturato CN 36 165vr15 on 4.5"-wide BRM wheels. 1971 Super Beetle. Stock suspension & brakes.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

That 71 is looking good!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: