Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting new rods, thoughts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
c77owen wrote:
I happened to get to inspect a set of these today as a matter of fact. They look to be VERY nice and come with a weight spec sheet (big end, little end, and total weight). I will be putting them in a 2110 build very soon, so I will report back my experience. At this point they seem to be a premium rod in every visible and measurable way for $400

that sounds positive.

but they're listed for $260, not $400?

I honestly didn't pay attention to what they were actually priced at when I was checking them over, I was just quoting the price someone already mentioned
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Here's the Pauters:...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are those three notches the oiling squirters vw put out the service bulletin about?

Not quite, the service bulletin shows the 3 notches on the same side, facing the piston.

No. They're for the oil to exit, according to what I've heard.

I know these should't be mentioned in the same breath as EMPI rods. My point was Pauters are made in America, and they always have been. These are the companies worth supporting. GUARANTEED if we all bought Pauters instead of China rods the prices wouldn't be where they are now.

Aluminums will live a shorter life than steel rods. No arguing that. But with the right conditions, they can live a very long time. Most hi-po mills don't stay together years and years anyway. We usually upgrade parts as trends change, or we want more power, etc. I'm positive I'll get some good life out of these with my combo.

Pauter has an all aluminum rod now. They stopped using the steel cap, as manufacturing and materials improved. It has some other design changes as well. I'll find out soon whether they have those lines up the beam.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
It would be nice if empi started making performance parts for the 36hp engines..ill say have them start with connecting rods like these asap👍

I´m working on that. Largest problem is price due to limited quantities.

what about these?

https://aapistons.com/collections/type-1-rods/products/4340-5-1-chromoly-h-beam-rods-vw-type-36-hp

It would be nice to see another company make performance parts than aapiston for 36hp ..empi has said there going to the old day by producing quality parts like they did back in the 60/70 empi was good and made lots of performance product for 36hp and 40hp engine now day nothing so it would be nice if empi also looked at the 36hp products not just the 1600 /up engine ...it would be nice if empi sold different rod ratio sizes like a stock 5.110 or 5.2 or 5.3 for 36hp ..aapistons only have 5.110 rods ..
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
sled wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
It would be nice if empi started making performance parts for the 36hp engines..ill say have them start with connecting rods like these asap👍

I´m working on that. Largest problem is price due to limited quantities.

what about these?

https://aapistons.com/collections/type-1-rods/products/4340-5-1-chromoly-h-beam-rods-vw-type-36-hp

It would be nice to see another company make performance parts than aapiston for 36hp ..empi has said there going to the old day by producing quality parts like they did back in the 60/70 empi was good and made lots of performance product for 36hp and 40hp engine now day nothing so it would be nice if empi also looked at the 36hp products not just the 1600 /up engine ...it would be nice if empi sold different rod ratio sizes like a stock 5.110 or 5.2 or 5.3 for 36hp ..aapistons only have 5.110 rods ..

Think about it from the aftermarket industry's point of view. Is there really enough 36hp hi-po engine builds happening in this world to support the industry offering multiple rod lengths? The demand needs to be proven before the supply happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

I would consider it a small marvel if any rods are marketed for any ACVW in the next decade.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Here's the Pauters:...

Are those three notches the oiling squirters vw put out the service bulletin about?

Not quite, the service bulletin shows the 3 notches on the same side, facing the piston.

No. They're for the oil to exit, according to what I've heard.

I know these should't be mentioned in the same breath as EMPI rods. My point was Pauters are made in America, and they always have been. These are the companies worth supporting. GUARANTEED if we all bought Pauters instead of China rods the prices wouldn't be where they are now.

Aluminums will live a shorter life than steel rods. No arguing that. But with the right conditions, they can live a very long time. Most hi-po mills don't stay together years and years anyway. We usually upgrade parts as trends change, or we want more power, etc. I'm positive I'll get some good life out of these with my combo.

Pauter has an all aluminum rod now. They stopped using the steel cap, as manufacturing and materials improved. It has some other design changes as well. I'll find out soon whether they have those lines up the beam.

Sorry, no matter how you slice it; Pauter rods have no place on VW street performance engines unless you have an unlimited bank account and want to put the Pauter sticker on the side of your car for bragging purposes.

If we are discussing race only engines, it's a different story.

And no, even if Pauter tripled their sales of these rods; MAYBE the price would go down 10-15% but they would never be anywhere close to the price of connecting rods made in China. That's just simple econ.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

jerry63vw...the original empi company closed in the 70's....their name was later bought/stolen/who knows by a crap tiawan parts producer to attempt to make their stuff seem legitimate...so getting back to what they used to produce is a joke... it wasnt them....at this point i think their reputation is so bad that if they actually want to produce some decent stuff they should do it under a different name
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
jerry63vw...the original empi company closed in the 70's....their name was later bought/stolen/who knows by a crap tiawan parts producer to attempt to make their stuff seem legitimate...so getting back to what they used to produce is a joke... it wasnt them....at this point i think their reputation is so bad that if they actually want to produce some decent stuff they should do it under a different name

The current EMPI (Mr. Bug) stole the name and logo from the original EMPI (European Motor Products Inc).

EMPI had the chance to keep a high quality product line when they bought out Bugpack and continue with the "Made In USA" items.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
I think this release a way for empi trying to prove that they really are improving their quality in products?

They should start by fixing their Dellorto copies. I can't imagine just flushing all of that investment down the shitter, without even TRYING to make them work right
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

looks light on the big end, heavy on the small end.
Good for turbo?
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Good for turbo?

I will take a pic of the weight sheet tomorrow and post it
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Good for turbo?

Here you go.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

the china I beams are nothing new,I was using them in supercharged 500+ci "budget" big blocks almost 20 years ago..with no issues. well it could of been 20 years ago.. I would not have any worry about using them.I do wish they wood up size the bolys some...atleast to 11/32, but yes 3/8 wood be better. but thats also closer to the cam shaft on longer stroke stuff. at 1/4 the cost of the crower I beams I usualy used there a good way to cut cost on budget motors over name brand usa rods. I would trust them over the china H beams. it's good to see them make it to the vw stuff.
when they first arived for the v8 stuff they were cheeper than the china H beams. I dont know how there priced nowadays, since a try to keep away from the heavy stuff I love way too much and miss way more that that. FUCK CANCER AND SCAMMING DRS!!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
FUCK CANCER AND SCAMMING DRS!!!

Dammit! I really didn't like to read that Mark.
You need to fight this. For your girls and wife. They are important.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting new rods, thoughts? Reply with quote

has anyone else used these now? I saw some 5.4 listed for sale as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: