Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
whats the purpose of the shroud ground? I get more grounding is beneficial, but does grounding the shroud specifically target one thing or just an extra?

Found this on Ryans motor. Just about everything on this motor looks original, right down to the fuel line crimp clamps. Im assuming this is the original battery ground strap. If so then vw thought the shroud/engine should be grounded, as you did as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty cool that he even has the diagnostic plug still installed and complete with protective cap.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
whats the purpose of the shroud ground? I get more grounding is beneficial, but does grounding the shroud specifically target one thing or just an extra?

Found this on Ryans motor. Just about everything on this motor looks original, right down to the fuel line crimp clamps. Im assuming this is the original battery ground strap. If so then vw thought the shroud/engine should be grounded, as you did as well.

Hijack

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

January 13, 2020. MDX being detailed today, thought I would work on the bus for while and get the rest of the engine pulled out.

1. Remove throttle cable

2. Cut wire tie holding oil temp wire

3. Remove fuel lines

4. Release fuel like clip

5. Put round block of wood w/ small bolt into jack, put bolt into hole in trans bottom.

6. Loosen trans nose bolts

7. Loosen 4 engine carrier bolts but do not pull bolts as they support engine.

8. Remove exhaust cat, muffler etc to give more room to move engine back the put atv jack under engine.

9. Trans lowered as engine moves down and out.

10. Engine and trans out on the two jacks. easy to roll on the concrete. When you pull the engine on the atv jack, the trans follows along. There are twp holes in the plywood that the engine carrier studs and nuts drop into, and the bolt and wood plate holds the trans to the trailing jack. This way everything follows along. Neat.

11. Rolled over to workbench and ready to disassemble.

12. Detailers are done with MDX, The VW engine and trans are ready for the next phase. New heads and case. Hope my back holds up.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Jan 20 2020

HVAC guys are here making a mod to the ducting system I engineered to lower air resistance in the system to allow better air conditioning filters, so it was a good time to remove the trans from the engine, and get the new engine case unpacked (again). Now there is room to walk thru the garage again.

Before -

after -

Remove lower starter nut, remove D bolt nut, remove lower transmission nuts, remove transmission by sliding carefully out of clutch and off engine.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Boy everything sure looks nice and clean! How many miles on this engine? If I followed along correctly, this engine is just fine but you want to put a new one it with better heads and a new case etc to more or less make it as perfect as you can? Where did you find the new case?
I'll enjoy this thread as I know you will do everything with no expense spared and a high standard of workmanship. Nice to see some progress on it. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Boy everything sure looks nice and clean! How many miles on this engine? If I followed along correctly, this engine is just fine but you want to put a new one it with better heads and a new case etc to more or less make it as perfect as you can? Where did you find the new case?
I'll enjoy this thread as I know you will do everything with no expense spared and a high standard of workmanship. Nice to see some progress on it. Very Happy

The heads are rebuilt heads done by RIMCO in 2008 before they changed owners. The new heads are HAM AMC heads. The case came from a 92 year old man in Germany who builds T4 VW aircraft engines. He also has new VW heads but I think they are 1800 heads set up as 2.0. I figure that with a new case and heads we can take it anywhere in North America without worrying about engine problems from fatigue. This engine only has about 2500 miles on it. There is wear on the case when it was rebuilt although nothing more than any other case of its age. If I could find a NOS crank at a reasonable price I'd probably just build a whole new short block. The guy in Germany is unreliable and although he probably has a new crankshaft too I no longer trust him. His packaging is awful and customer service zero - it's age related I am sure. If I lived in Germany where I could pick things up in person then I'd have no problem buying from him again.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Glad you got your case finally. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Glad you got your case finally. Cool

the old one back but I will fix it. Post Office still owes me $258 for losing it on the way back to Germany for 2 months. They apparently never delivered it to the guy and then he took off for a month's vacation. One of the folks on the forum in Holland (1970fun) as well as Sven and Emma helped me figure that one out. But today as soon as the HVAC guys today were 99.9% done one of them stepped thru the ceiling - now I have drywall people coming for bids tomorrow. Retirement seems more work than work was............ .
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Too bad I’m not in NorCal. I’d trade out drywall repair for getting my engine running properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Too bad I’m not in NorCal. I’d trade out drywall repair for getting my engine running properly.

and I would gladly accept. The folks who removed the cottage cheese ceiling and put on knockdown in 2014 or so will be here at noon for a bid, and another fellow the HVAC friend is sending will be here at 10. Just a shame that the HVAC guy's profits will get eaten up in this repair. But, it was his guy who stepped thru.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

The heads are rebuilt heads done by RIMCO in 2008 before they changed owners. The new heads are HAM AMC heads. The case came from a 92 year old man in Germany who builds T4 VW aircraft engines. He also has new VW heads but I think they are 1800 heads set up as 2.0. I figure that with a new case and heads we can take it anywhere in North America without worrying about engine problems from fatigue. This engine only has about 2500 miles on it. There is wear on the case when it was rebuilt although nothing more than any other case of its age. If I could find a NOS crank at a reasonable price I'd probably just build a whole new short block. The guy in Germany is unreliable and although he probably has a new crankshaft too I no longer trust him. His packaging is awful and customer service zero - it's age related I am sure. If I lived in Germany where I could pick things up in person then I'd have no problem buying from him again.

Where does he live as I have a good friend in Koln.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
SGKent wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

Where does he live as I have a good friend in Koln.

Barleben is where his shop is. My understanding he leaves in the winter and travels a lot in the summer. His wife passed away last year. He is 92. This fellow seems to have cases, cranks, carbs, cams, pistons and cylinder liners. He builds T4 aircraft engines. I actually thought about taking a trip there in summer, and making an offer on a whole bunch of parts, having a broker package, ship and insure them.

here is the new case cleaned up of the Cosemoline. The problem is that he didn't package things well and he doesn't respond well to customer service queries at age 92. God forbid all this stuff end up in a landfill when he is gone.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Moving to rebuild engine and replace heads. I don't have to split the case but I may split the case to replace it with the new one. Haven't decided yet. New case is ready to go. One question is always, "Do I have a cam gear that a new case will need to get the lash right... ."

May 11, 2020 Put the engine up on engine stand. Pulled clutch and flywheel. Expected the case to be wet around main seal but it wasn't. That said, always check end play before disassembly. Holding at .004". Everything has already been marked for assembly to keep balance correct so no need to mark again. Otherwise mark everything. Use engine lift to put on stand and block front to help reduce weight on flanges until some items removed.

Flywheel lock - had this since my 1971 bay. It's like 45 - 50 years old now. Best style out there. Just think - I was married and a young man in my mid 20's when I bought this. (same on the run out gauge too).

Clutch and pressure plate off. Remove bolts a little at a time so not to warp pressure plate.

Flywheel

Measuring end play before removing flywheel. Holding steady at .004".

Clevis tool I use to hook chain to engine

Where it goes on front

Lifting engine to stand. Using a hydraulic lift, HF brand. Works well. Had to add a piece of steel tubing between frame and wheel so engine stand will roll under it. Put yoke on before lifting then slide into engine stand.

Blocked front to reduce weight on engine flange.

Back side with yoke mounted. I am selling spare parts in Classifieds as I don't need them. When the bus is gone someone will get a heck of a deal on an engine lift and engine stand that work really well together for all types of car engines.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Tuesday May 12, 2020

Remove JTube, Cross tube, heat exchangers and EGR

Photos of hoses - and remove

Photos of tin and remove front tin. Only casualty is tabs on heat shield were broken. Will have to have those welded. I have another NOS one but it is slightly shorter on the right side.

Remove injectors and injector rails

Photos of and removing runners

Electrical CSV and AUX etc gets removed.

Plenum removal, connectors and wires around plenum. End of 90 minutes work today

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Still looks good!

Are you going to be upgrading to gee bee hoses on this rebuild or are you going for as close to stock as possible?

When do we get to see pics of your new exhaust setup:D
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Bookmarked and watching, great photos and will be an excellent resource.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
Bookmarked and watching, great photos and will be an excellent resource.

And everything is very clean. Has to be the 'freshest' looking rebuild candidate I've seen in a long time.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. It has lost its shine but it is still a nice engine. Gee they are small engines for such a large car. As you go thru the photos you will see a alternator bracket that is broken. I suspect this happened early after the last build. I had taken the fan apart 12 years ago to paint it (a no-no) and the belt hopped causing quite a bit of vibration. Mark was kind enough to center it for me. I think he put in about 12 - 14 hours on a lathe spinning it and trying to get it back to center. Now the belt runs very true but my guess is that it was during the period it hopped a lot that the bracket vibrated itself to death.

Remove sensors and ground

PCV

Start on tin screws 1-2 side

Thermostat removal (and oil pressure sensor)

Spark Plug Wire loom holder removal

1-2 tin and alternator wires

3-4 tin

Alternator

Side tin

Fan and shroud

Engine Mount

END OF MAY 19

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

What is this?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Process of rebuild, replacing heads, new exhaust & misc 1977 FI Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
What is this?

we had dancing gals over the other night and one left a tassel.

Oh that. It was used by VW to time the engine. It picks up a spot in the flywheel and tells the no longer available VW computer systems where TDC is. There have been many discussions of the possibility of using it for an on board timing system but no one has invented a layman's circuit for us to use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: