Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Well thanks to this horrible pandemic I'm getting quite a bit of work done on some of my VW's. Over the weekend I moved my 1985 Jagdwagen into my work space and started on replacing the bed of the truck.

In addition to being a very early Syncro model (vin WV2ZZZ2ZFG000118) this was the first truck VW used to try to promote it's line of options called "Jagdwagen". This car was kept by VW from the time it was built until 1988. It was used as a promotional car so it was lent out to the press and moved around Germany to be on display at many dealerships. The Jagdwagen line was not very successful and in 1988 the truck was sold as a used car. From here is went to a farm in Germany where the owner used it as a work truck and as the story goes it hauled a lot of rocks from a nearby quarry.

For a German truck it's actually very rust free and low mileage as well but the bed of the truck took a real beating under it's 2nd owner.

A few years back I was able to buy all the pieces of the bed NOS from Lars Neuffer in Gottingen Germany.

here is the truck
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the bed

Here is where I am at after about 4 hours of work

On my next post I'll show some pictures of the "top hats" that support the bed and how damaged they are. I'll need to find a sheet metal shop to make some new ones for me.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Here’s my current progress after a few more hours today. I got all the damaged cross pieces removed that surround the engine access lid. And half of the front bed sections. I should be all done with the dirty work tomorrow.

Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Man,

Jagdwagen’s, Doka’s, Sinka’s — making me really really think more about these for myself vs. my current tinny. Great looking rig, looking forward to reading more on your progress and maybe some extra photos of what else is back there....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:

The westy part of my brain is saying...”look at all that unused storage space!”

Looks to be quite the job, can see why it was put off till a pandemic. How did you deal with all the spot welds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Carburetor? Don't get to see those. Maybe when you have time, remove the air cleaner and post a picture please. Where are you getting replacement pans? Thank you.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

This is the best tool for spot welds. It's still a time consuming job.

Yes it's true that there is a lot of unused space in a doka. I've seen a couple really cool custom builds where the stock bed has been removed and access panels where added to use the space.

This doka is a fairly rare beast though so it will remain bone stock. Including the engine/trans.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Now if I can just find some NOS bed panels. Laughing

Thinking of just replacing all of mine.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Carburetor? Don't get to see those. Maybe when you have time, remove the air cleaner and post a picture please. Where are you getting replacement pans? Thank you.

This is the factory DG so the carb is stock. Parts are available from many European vendors. I just needed a new fuel pump and I ordered it from Garage ELM in Canada.

I certainly would't recommend anyone actually switching from FI to a carb. That said this one runs great.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Looks good Seth. I'll be taking notes so I can try to preserve my bed when replacing the other rust on my Jagd. Was cutting around the diagonal part of the rack easier than taking it off? Did you find someone to make the tophats for you? They really look similar to the split window ones...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Jagdwagen bed replacment Reply with quote

Squilly wrote:
Looks good Seth. I'll be taking notes so I can try to preserve my bed when replacing the other rust on my Jagd. Was cutting around the diagonal part of the rack easier than taking it off? Did you find someone to make the tophats for you? They really look similar to the split window ones...

I just cut around the diagonals so that I could continue with the bed removal and let the bolts on the rack soak up some lube. I went back afterword and unbolted the rear seaction of the rack. It's all cleaned up now and ready to install the top hats. I had thetop hats made at a local HVAC shop for cheap but I had to buy a whole sheet of untreated steel.

I'm on a little camping trip now and then I have another project to do when I get home so I probably won't be back on the Jagd for another month or so.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: