Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch chatter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: clutch chatter Reply with quote

My super beetle clutch has recently decided to be real grabby when I release it in first gear. No problems other than that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Does the clutch pedal behave itself once the drivetrain warms up with 20+ minutes of city driving?

Things that can cause clutch chatter, that you can check without removing the engine:
- Too little bowden tube preload
- Bad/loose engine or transaxle mounts/bolts
- Misfiring/out of tune idle

Things that can cause clutch chatter that require removing the engine to repair:
- Contamination of the friction surfaces (clutch/flywheel/pressure plate)

Clutch system contamination can further be broken down into corrosion from storage, corrosion from moisture, damage from heat/improper use, or oil contamination, most commonly from a flywheel o-ring or main seal leak.

If you're sure the exterior parts are in good shape, you'll be removing the engine to fix the problem. Good luck!

Let us know if you have questions about any of the systems,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

When mine did this, it was grease that had flig onto the clutch plate. Oil does it, too.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Quote:
Bad/loose engine or transaxle mounts/bolts

X2 probably the front mount, the one on the 'nose cone'.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

After you check your mount bolts are tight and the mounts are not cracked, take a look at your bowden tube and make sure there is sufficient bend liek the pic below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If too straight the clutch will chatter just as it engages the flywheel. This chattering is caused by the normal flex in the engine/transmission changing the distance from the frame to the end of the bowden tube. The bend in the tube allows for this change in distance without pulling/pushing on the clutch cable.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Ashman, while your post is 100% on, do you think the sag in the photo looks a bit excessive? The bowden tube connection to the chassis seems to be a bit more horizontal on later cars as well, in my experience.

I have found excessive sag to cause a clutch disc to “grab” the flywheel with a thud, but then engage smoothly as the pedal is released.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

It was just a pic from the gallery I found to illustrate the point.

Conceptually, as long as the bowden tube never fully straightens out, it serves its purpose. If while the engine/transmission flexes in its mounts the bowden tube were to straighten out, any additional flex would result in the clutch cable pulling on the release arm. This could disengage the clutch which would reduce the engine flex which results in the clutch re-engaging which causes the engine to flex which disengages... in a repeating cycle... which appears as clutch chatter.

I've not experienced the "grab" you speak of. There is a recommended amount of flex in the tube. I don't have my service manual in front of me. Maybe someone can post? I normally stick to this spec.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Ashman, while your post is 100% on, do you think the sag in the photo looks a bit excessive?

Robbie

The sag should be 1.0 - 1.7 inch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
xaquinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture/cartoon illustrating the mounting bolt locations?

I got a 1970 recently that wasn’t running at the time of purchase. After I got it fired up, I found that there was clutch chatter in first only when starting from a stop. Got a new Bowden tube and shimmed to proper droop with no change. I checked the weld to the cable tube in the tunnel and that is good. Almost at the point of dropping the motor, but would prefer not to.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Quote:
Almost at the point of dropping the motor, but would prefer not to.

Before you do that replace the front transaxle mount.Trust me on this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xaquinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Are there any good videos or write ups on how to do this with motor/trans still installed?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

xaquinn wrote:
Are there any good videos or write ups on how to do this with motor/trans still installed?

maybe, the way I did it was take all of the cables loose (clutch, carb). Take the wires loose on the engine. Take the big bolts loose and out of the 'bar' under the transaxle (it holds the rear motor mounts. Take the shift linkage loose under rear seat. All of the nuts on the front mount come off. Slide engine as far back as you can. It won't fall out, the axles prevent that. Tilt the nose cone as high as you can and the front mount will just fit to slide out. Re-assembly is reverse of dis-assembly.

try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ichDEpIQ8
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

xaquinn wrote:
Does anyone have a picture/cartoon illustrating the mounting bolt locations?

I got a 1970 recently that wasn’t running at the time of purchase. After I got it fired up, I found that there was clutch chatter in first only when starting from a stop. Got a new Bowden tube and shimmed to proper droop with no change. I checked the weld to the cable tube in the tunnel and that is good. Almost at the point of dropping the motor, but would prefer not to.

Defiantly check the mounts. A big pry bar works for that. If you see no separation during prying, the mounts are good. If separation of the rubber from itself or the steel, replace it.

Another big reason for chatter is oil on the disc! That has been the reason for the better portion of chatter in my history. Only way to check it is to pull the motor. Sorry man!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
xaquinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: clutch chatter Reply with quote

Thanks! I saw Chris’s video right after posting the question. I wish I have a garage and lift! Ordering a new front mount today. Going to give it a shot this weekend and will report back!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: