Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I just installed a set of Hankooks to replace my beloved BFG A/t. It’s a great tire for a Vanagon- stable, quiet, and ample load range. But, they are lame looking, and perform horribly in wet grass. Man I sure miss those 14” BFGs.

I would pay a ridiculous amount of money for a new set of BFG ATs, or better yet a set AT K02s.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
me4ou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Hello, guys,
I am looking for an All Season tire for my stock 14" wheels. Something slightly more aggressive than a normal road tire, that has a bit more bite for light offroading and snow, but not a full blown spiky A/T.
Can you recommend something?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
I recently went to 15" rims and BFG KO2's but still wanted to keep a spare in the clamshell. I had done a gentle mod by removing the rod and adding a spacer in front to squeeze a 14" BFG in there. I wanted to see what I could do to narrow the size difference (25.5" KO to 27.9" KO2) but still use what I have without further modification or moving a spare to the rear ($$$).

I had put a set of the C-rated 27x8.5R14 Starfire SF510 LT's on my old Ford Ranger not long ago and thought with the slightly taller profile one of those might work out. Seems like a good solid tire.
So I put one on the old spare rim and it does just fit without rubbing the steering shaft etc.

I'm not getting into the load rating debate, but If I didn't have a full Westy, I would definitely consider the (Cooper) Starfires. The specs are identical to the General Grabber AT/X. If you are comfortable with the Grabbers for your van, you should consider these as an option as well. They are running around $100 apiece but I've seen them lower. [Caution: Cooper says 6"minimum rim width and OEM steel rims are 5.5". I'm OK with that - your mileage may vary]

The old BFG KO vs. KO2 for comparison
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BFG KO2 vs Starfire SF510

On the van. Mounted to confirm fit and check the ride. I didn't notice any problem with tracking or issues with rubbing, although it is close to the UCA. I wouldn't want to leave it on for too long since there is still a noticeable size difference, but I'm comfortable with it for emergency use. I probably could've just gone with the old spare BFG and been fine for emergencies, but I really wanted to try this tire. (Yes, I'm carrying the OEM lug nuts and bolts)

Are those the South Africa 15 inch rims you used? Also, what size Bfg? I'm considering going 15 or 16 inch myself. Do you have them installed yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
me4ou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw those, but unfortunately I couldn't find them in my area (Eastern Europe)
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Walmart is selling the STARFIRE SF-510 27X8.50R14LT 95Q Tire for 65.99 plus free shipping. 7 qty left!
4spd
renaissanceman132
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Hey guys, I did a lot of research when I was looking for a 14" tire set for my 82 air-cooled. I didn't see anywhere on the forum mentioning some commercial tires that I found that work really well. If you're wanting a good all-season tire with a good high profile and not kill your gas milage, look at some of the commercial tire options. A lot of the tires discussed in this thread over the years are discontinued or no longer available.

I just got my full set of Otani MK1000's installed; 195R14C (also available in 185R14C if you choose). 8 ply, load range D, and very quiet on the road. Won't break the bank!

(Yes I did just get my rims powder coated Very Happy )

Some other commercial tires of these same sizes available through the interwebs include: Thunderer Rangers R101, and Duraturn Travia Van
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Are they making the General Grabber at2 anymore? Is that know the ATX ?

If I put the 14inch Grabbers on the Alloy rims will there be any rubbing?

Thanks

jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Anyone know if they changed the at2 to the ATX? Do they make the at2 anymore? Also will these rub on alloys. ?

jttosh wrote:
Are they making the General Grabber at2 anymore? Is that know the ATX ?

If I put the 14inch Grabbers on the Alloy rims will there be any rubbing?

Thanks

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Yep, AT2 discontinued, replaced by similar ATX.

*** Note to Kamz: tire sticky/PDF needs updating on this point ***

Should be OK on the (slightly wider) alloys, although my experience is with AT2's on steelies.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!
jttosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I am putting 14 inch alloys on with the General Grabbers, I have steel rims on now. Can I use the same lug nuts from the steel for alloys?

Pictured is what I have on now.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

^^^ Definitely different hardware, although I'll let a real guru speak to that.

Or...check out the "What Wheels...???" sticky... Cool

- Dave

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

jttosh wrote:
I am putting 14 inch alloys on with the General Grabbers, I have steel rims on now. Can I use the same lug nuts from the steel for alloys?

Pictured is what I have on now.

Standard steelie round seat versus conical seat for alloy wheel.

Westy Tweakin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

renaissanceman132 wrote:
Hey guys, I did a lot of research when I was looking for a 14" tire set for my 82 air-cooled. I didn't see anywhere on the forum mentioning some commercial tires that I found that work really well. If you're wanting a good all-season tire with a good high profile and not kill your gas milage, look at some of the commercial tire options. A lot of the tires discussed in this thread over the years are discontinued or no longer available.

I just got my full set of Otani MK1000's installed; 195R14C (also available in 185R14C if you choose). 8 ply, load range D, and very quiet on the road. Won't break the bank!

(Yes I did just get my rims powder coated Very Happy )

*** Trying to figure out how to reply to this quote but it is late LOL*****I saw your post and decided to look them up. I picked up 5 after looking around and comparing my options. (I Like the way your wheels look!). I got $505 in everything. $425 for the 5 delivered. Found a local tire shop to mount, balanced, new stems and disposal of the old tires for $80 dollars. Just put about 30 miles on them so far but the feel good and are quiet.

Some other commercial tires of these same sizes available through the interwebs include: Thunderer Rangers R101, and Duraturn Travia Van
[img][/img]
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Looking for experiences with a couple tires I'm considering. I've read volumes of posts on tires here on The Samba, and still have some questions. Tire specs confuse me, sorry I'm so unsophisticated in these matters. Still learning, so I turn to the information masters here.
I've an 84 Westy poptop, so it's pretty heavy. It has passenger tires on now from the PO under the correct load rating so I want to replace before they give me trouble.
What keeps coming up in my searches locally and online are the Yokohama Y356 ($106) and the Hankook Vantra LT ($110).
I want tires that handle well on the highway, where they'll be most of the time driving to camping spots, but are decent handling in dirt, mud, probably some snow or ice at times (but much less). I have 14" stock rims, and I don't really want to lose power going up hills by radically changing the tire diameter or its handling either by making them much wider. Though a little wider looking would be nice over the look of skinny tires on this big vehicle- but it's not the most critical detail.
General Grabbers are also in the consideration. Are appropriate Vredesteins still available? Which?
Also wondering how moving to a 195 instead of the 185s would alter the driving experience. Taller tires slow your climbing speeds, but will moving up to 195s or 205s cause a noticeable power loss?
My question is for people with experience and/or knowledge of the qualities of these tires in terms of handling on highways as well as in dirt and mud, their ride on the highway including road noise, dealing with some ice or snow, etc.
Any advice you can impart would be greatly appreciated.
Other available suggestions of tires for my applications would also be welcome.
thank you
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I have the Hankook Vantras on my 90 Westy now. They are quiet and handle well on the road. They have terrible traction off of the pavement, and in my opinion, look really lame.

They had a tough act to follow, as I had the BFG 195/75/14 AT installed for the previous 10 years/60k miles . I would pay a ridiculous amount of money to have a new set again.

YMMV.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

FWIW: I ran Hankook RA-08's for about 8 years (predecessor of the RA-18 Vantra)...which were affordable & sturdy,
great on the highway & fine on gravel, although worthless on snow, mud or even wet grass... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Sad

They also had a definite "pizza-cutter" look on the van; less than inspiring for appearance & "attitude"... Confused

I've since gone to General Grabber AT2's (now replaced by ATX) before my first Utah trip and have been very
impressed by the upgrade...very capable in all conditions, dry <or> wet rocks, snow, mud, etc... A definite
night and day difference, & I'll never go back to Hankooks...

Likewise, YMMV. So, where do you want to take your van...??? <shrug> Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

- Dave

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, CessnaJon, it's very helpful.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW: I ran Hankook RA-08's for about 8 years (predecessor of the RA-18 Vantra)...which were affordable & sturdy,
great on the highway & fine on gravel, although worthless on snow, mud or even wet grass... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Sad

They also had a definite "pizza-cutter" look on the van; less than inspiring for appearance & "attitude"... Confused

I've since gone to General Grabber AT2's (now replaced by ATX) before my first Utah trip and have been very
impressed by the upgrade...very capable in all conditions, dry <or> wet rocks, snow, mud, etc... A definite
night and day difference, & I'll never go back to Hankooks...

Likewise, YMMV. So, where do you want to take your van...??? <shrug> Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

- Dave

Thanks, Dave. Very helpful.
I will put most miles on the highway, getting to camping off road in dirt, mud, rocks, occasional snow and ice at times.
What size are yours? Larger or wider than the 185s? 195s, 205s? If so, did you notice much difference in handling in wind, cornering, diminished power up grades with the larger diameter tires?
Thank you.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

The Grabber AT2's are 27x8.5R14 LT...quite a bit wider than 195's & about 10% taller than stock.

With a 95 load rating I'm not sure I'd run them on a "full kitchen" Westy camper, but even fully loaded
my Weekender runs about 800# lighter than a full Westy so I went with the recommendation and I've
been very happy with them. I definitely feel the difference in getting out on the highway but the rpm's
once up to speed put it right in the WBX sweet spot. Real hills/mountains are not much different than
stock, maybe just gotta downshift a little earlier & the WBX does the rest.

Yes, sidewalls are a bit softer than the Hankooks so they offer a bit of "give" but once they set in
on a corner they're like riding on rails the rest of the way. Long story short, I like 'em a lot... Cool

FWIW... (Sorry, not really an action shot, but you can see the tires & Milt's has a very good burger... Laughing )

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 31

Jump to: