Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Blame it on sheltering in place (Coronavirus time), but I'm sitting around musing (again) about someday getting a Roofnest tent.

If/when I do, I would need two crossbars to go over the roof to mount it to.

--- They recommend the "aero" style shaped bars.
--- Crossbar rating needs to be at least 140 lbs (each).

Maybe I didn't do a good enough search here on TheSamba, however...

Does anyone have any "modern" cross-bar recommendations that work well with split-bus roofs?

Many thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
(Picture is from yesterday at "German Guys" Restaurant in Waterloo, CA.
Stayed socially distant, wore masks, etc. but did get some excellent German take-out)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

having gone through this same quest quest I can offer a few insights.

1 Most "modern" roof rack systems were not designed for rain gutters

2. Most roof rack systems do not have "feet" which are tall enough to clear the pronounced curved roofline of a vintage bus while at the same time being suitably "vertical" to clear the curve of the roof

3. If you are able to find a roof rack system that does meet the above criteria they are either a) special order b) back ordered c) out of stock or d) massively delayed due to covid

Having managed all of your expectations after months or searching I was finally able to secure the Thule 953 "Super High Gutter Foot Pack" which does the job nicely I am sure Yakima and the like have comparable systems on offer

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/roof-rack/roof-rack-co...ack-_-1089

Best of luck and be patient this is likely not something you are gonna go over to Rack Attack and order off the shelf. Might want to comb through CraigsList, Facebook marketplace, Kijiji etc to see if you can find something. Oh and of course- these are not cheap Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Having managed all of your expectations after months or searching...

Thanks so very much, velvetgreen.
You have helped stopped me from my own potential months of long obsessive searches.

Not cheap, no, but neither is a Roofnest tent considering that were I spend that much coin on something, it should be for getting some more body work completed.

The fantasy though is to make it even more convenient to do roll-up overnight camping if ever on another round-trip cross country trip (for example).

In our tin-top walk-through Westy, Kathy and I find sleeping in the back to be great for one person, but not as great for us both.
Between my height, and then the width of the bed being what it is, reduced by both the closet and spare tire (when compared to our queen-sized bed at home), tent camping is what we typically do while out with our Westy.

Now just to justify the cost of such a set-up AND convince Kathy.

Oh; if you happen to have yours on your bus currently, would you be able to tell me the tallest measurement of any of the Thule cross-bars?
(either from the ground, or perhaps from the drip rail?)

The other thing I'm dealing with is a very low roof-height in my garage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

I have Rhino on my defender. They should fit.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

My bus is in storage right now sans Thule roofrack but the Thule web site says "Thule Super High Gutter Foot Pack
Easy-to-use foot providing 11" roof clearance on vehicles with rain gutters." which seems about right. They are not called "super high" for nothing Smile

When I get the rack back on I would be happy to take some measurements. My *guess* is that a typical height garage door would *not* be able to clear these roof rack legs which means you would have to remove them every time you wanted to park the bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

I have a rooftop tent which I have used on my T3s and T5. It is really nice when your traveling. But it is a real pain to put onto the car and to take it off.

Luckily I have a neighbor with a forklift and I use that to do the job. I wish I could fit into my garage with the tent on the car and the I could hoist it off of the car in the garage. That would make thing really easy, But my garage door and the rain gutter are to low for it to fit.

This tent will also fir the T1. The legs are adjustable in height and width.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

You could use these and remove the U-bolt. I suggest four for the tent or at least three. https://www.vintagefoundry.com/pages/surfboard-racks
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

yakima makes a gutter mount with some extenders that allows you to use their roundbar system - I use mine to haul long boards from the lumber yard and rooftop sailboats. I think they are rated at least 120 lbs per bar. I think Yakima rain gutter part 1A and yakima HiRise (high rise) kit, and yakima long round bars - all easily attained on ebay. You could consider adding a third (and fourth) bar for the tent kit if need be, but you need to mount the gutter kit away from the cargo doors to avoid the door rubbing on bottom of the mount. The front doors will clear the mount. Here's the only samba pic i have of them for reference:

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO

Last edited by marklaken on Tue May 12, 2020 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Nice ^^^.

I just noticed the surf racks are sold out. Anyway, Aloha racks are the original same.
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Lots of different heights and strength ratings
http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Catalogues/RhinoRack-Catalogue-March2018.pdf
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

I have these sitting in my garage. Now that I own a rag top bus, I don't think I'll use them. I don't know the value, but I know they were made for the VW Bus. I've only seen one other set and it was in an ad for a rusty bus in the background. LoL I don't know the value of these, but I'm a reasonable person when it comes to helping out another Bus person.

Here are some pictures someone share when I asked about these parts

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

What about the Thule system. This at least here in Germany well known and available.
Try the search with "Thule 953". The height of these legs is 28cm.
Description says: for cars with high roof and rain gutter
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:

Here are some pictures someone share when I asked about these parts

These pics are awesome! Palm Green Sand Green with sunroof!
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

I have Thule gutter feet and square cross bars I use on both my son's Vanagon and my Splitty. Bars are 65'' wide, but you can get narrower for a splitty. See GoWesty website for Yakima options.

Last edited by MrPolak on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

Although an aero-style cross bar would have been preferred for my purposes, I decided to start looking around for gutter feet by Thule and the square cross-bars which fit in them.

I thought I'd need the "Super High" gutter feet, but as I'm not that much of a hippie, I believe the regular "High" gutter feet will hopefully work.

Kidding aside, I've ordered the:
Roof Rack Mount - Thule High Foot 387 along with a pair of: LB50 Thule Load Bar 50" (the square type).

It's thanks to the quoted post below (and picture) from the thread "Anyone know which Thule roof rack(bars) work on a '64 deluxe" that further helped me make my decision.

Once I have them, I can start doing trials and making more accurate measurements in my garage to see what, if anything, will fit on top of The Toaster, AND in our short garage.

At the very least I should be able to take them on and off when I want to move some boards or mattresses around.

Once I have them (and get them on the bus), I'll take some pictures and add any thoughts I have about them.

Below is from this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293531

65Busstop wrote:
I use a Thule rack with the 387 tall gutter mount feet. Fits fine.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Live and Learn...

Update.

Regretfully what I had hoped would fit, does not fit on my 1967 Split Bus,

Again, this was the Thule High Foot 387 along with a pair of: LB50 Thule Load Bar 50" (the square type).

Unfortunately the fit is just TOO close to the roof.

In these pictures, I don't have the the gutter feet fully tightened; if I did, the bar actually WOULD rest against the crown of the roof, unlike the dime-thin gap pictured.

Also, the 50" bars are NOT quite long enough to be fully encased on both sides of the bus in the gutter mounts, but I think the next size up was longer than I was hoping.

Thule DOES make one foot pack that IS higher, it's called the "Super High Gutter Foot Pack 953" I think it is about 3" higher and would work on a T1 split bus, but you'd need cross bars that are longer than the 50" that I tried out.

I will say that I was impressed (having never tried them myself before) by the gutter feet mounts; they really seem to grab on well and were easy to put on and take off.

They've been sent back to the vendor I got them from...

A few more pics:

The Black "L" part of my garage door opener in the right part of the picture below is the lowest point of vertical space (currently) in our garage.

I've already embraced another option (different brand) and ordered.
I'll let that stay a mystery until I have them; they may or may not fit, we'll see.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

OK; finally here with an update.

THIS is what I have purchased and will keep. Regretfully they are not cheap.

They are made by Front Runner.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/

Here are the specific product names/numbers:

No 7 Leg 225mm (Pair) - by Front Runner SKU: LASS107
1345mm Slat (52.95276 inches) - by Front Runner SKU: RRSS1345

They do make taller, and shorter, legs. I tried the No 6 leg, and just like the Thule "high" gutter feet I had tried; it was too low; would be firmly on the crown of the roof if I tightened it down.

These, the No 7 leg, are perfect (for my purposes).

There's about ten U.S. quarter's height (approx 5/8th") from the crown of the Bus to the bottom of the load-bar "slat".

I intentionally went with the slat which is a width just shy of 53", but they make other lengths too.
The silver nut you see in the channel in the picture below is for some applications of their other accouterments.
It is NOT part of what is holding anything of this assembly together, and can be faced up, or down.

They seem very sturdy, easy to put on (a 5mm allen headed bolt for the gutter attachment, two 13mm bolts, per side to attach the slat (fully adjustable; slide it in and out, then tighten in place).

I hadn't put on the plastic end-caps on the slats in these pictures, nor the plastic nut-covers for the bolts underneath the slats.

They have longer slat load-bars, they make taller gutter legs too (shorter also; aren't bay-window roofs shorter? Have a shorter "crown"?).

It is difficult to find/order specific singular individual parts on their website, but they ARE very helpful by e-mail and telephone, which is how I ordered after doing a lot of research.

Now can I throw a 6 & 1/2 " thick RoofNest Falcon tent onto the top of The Toaster?

Sure... if I had that kind of money handy, but I'd NEVER be able to fit it in our garage (as the garage is now).

...but I CAN fit The Toaster into our garage while it wears the three cross bars that I bought.
This is going to make picking up things like drywall, new mattresses, boards and such possible without cutting stuff up in a store's paring lot.

The width of these cross-bar slats is 3 & 9/16th" wide.
They have all kinds of "systems" for their products on their website.
Me; I just wanted 3 load-bars for now, and that's what I bought.

Hope this info helps anyone who is interested.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

I love the racks.

For a smidge more clearance could you cut the ell bar off and move it up to the next hole? I know it won't be enough for a tent but just askin'.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I love the racks.

For a smidge more clearance could you cut the ell bar off and move it up to the next hole? I know it won't be enough for a tent but just askin'.

Quite possibly... I did also toy a lot with the idea of having a rack custom made (and one to look more "authentic" to VW); there's a guy up in Redding, CA that seems to do good work, but I discovered he's currently without a location to physically do his work.

Once he is up and running again, I'd be interested in a single-cab curved front roof-rack, but that the highest points of are as low as these load bars are.

We actually had two garage door companies come out.
One was for roll-up; I thought that maybe if there was a side-mount motor the door-frame could be raised to its original height.
No dice.
One of the problems is/would be that there isn't even enough clearance FOR a side-mount motor.

The second company builds traditional 2-door "carriage-style" doors, which is what this house originally had.

They could do it, but if I thought a RoofNest tent was expensive; whew! You wouldn't (or would?) believe the Bay Area of California prices for things.
There's far too many more practical house improvements and fixes to do before replacing the garage door JUST so I can sleep on top of the bus on occasion.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Modern" aero-style Roof Cross-Bar recommendations for T1s? Reply with quote

Just curious, have you placed a sheet of plywood then had two people crawl around up there to see if the racks flex downward?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: