Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Confused here....is this rust or something else?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nessal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

I decided to remove the rust on the pans so that I can start the rustproofing process. As I sanded down the pan and the brown "rust" area was disappearing, I started to see something black under it. When I sanded through the black stuff, that is when it hit steel. At that point, I'm not so sure that what I'm sanding away is actually rust. I'm starting to think that it is actually the aging adhesive that used to hold the original carpet padding down. I then decided to vacuum the entire pan before going any further. As you can see, it actually looks like the pans have very minimal rust if any and that I was actually sanding through another layer before hitting the pan. The black stuff feels like tar when I scrapped it with a razor blade. See second picture below. If this is the case, then I might have lucked out and it appears that I have less work in front of me than I initially thought.

What do you guys think? Is it still worth stripping the entire floor down to the steel and then recoating? It sounds like it's already pretty rust proof as it stands.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nessal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

Nm. It's gunk from the tar boards. I'm going to start scrapping. Fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

Confused Sad Confused Sad Confused Sad

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

I went thorough a bunch of razors, mineral spirits and paper towels. Then afterwards discovered the below post about using dry ice for tar removal. Whatever means you use, good luck and as the kids these days say, “It’s oddly satisfying”

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3592038#3592038
Nessal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
I went thorough a bunch of razors, mineral spirits and paper towels. Then afterwards discovered the below post about using dry ice for tar removal. Whatever means you use, good luck and as the kids these days say, “It’s oddly satisfying”

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3592038#3592038

It sounds like they are using it to remove the tar board itself. On mine, the tar board is already gone but it looks like there is residue EVERYWHERE. Literally, the entire pan is covered with this tar residue. It seems as if it was sprayed on or something. But I'll give this method a try when I get a chance.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

I had pretty good results with just a paint scraper to be honest. Seemed to be fairly brittle and just chipped off
misterh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Confused here....is this rust or something else? Reply with quote

I use one of those oscillating tools with a flexible scraper blade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: