Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Humpback seat
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Are humpback seat backs and curved seat backs the same other than the springs? Basically wondering if adding the springs from a humpback would make a curved back into a humpback. Can it be done? I know the ears on the top mounting brackets are different too.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

I am not sure if the springs are the only difference. The know the bottom section of the humpback seat has metal bars that come up and the curved backs do not.

Read this thread, it talks about some of the other differences and has a pictures showing the metal bar I am talking about.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321197&highlight=humpback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Think my base is a hump base, it's got some funky cover on it and it appears that the legs are covered by the funky cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if my back has been modified from hump back but there's no springs behind it like you find on humpback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Look at the back of your seat base. (back, not bottom) If it is a hump seat then there will be two bars curving out from the back and turning upwards. They stop in space. They support the bottom of the seat back. From your last image above it does not look like your seat has them.

AFAIK that is the only difference in the seat bottom. (Mine the DPO cut those bars off... Someday i will find a set to weld back...)

The seat back spring set is VERY different and i am not sure if the frame is also unique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

I think those legs are there under the cover, sure has a weird shape
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Anyone able to give an answer to this? The reason I ask is because shipping a complete seat back to me would be impossible, if I just need springs I can possibly have them shipped easily.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Hump seat back and springs:

58-60 style seat back springs

It does look like you could simply add those springs to change the shape of the seat but I don't know if that is actually true.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Thanks for those pics Everett they show how similar they both are other than the springs and long horizontal bar.

Maybe the spring frame is also different? Can anyone chime in on that?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Just found out you can get upholstery conical springs that could substitute the og springs for a DIY humpback seat on the cheap. Guess it could be built using measurements from an og seat frame.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

You can absolutely buy upholstery springs.

If you found one that match those exactly, I'm sure the source would be good information to post for others to know about...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have a hump back seat - it is for my 1962 SO33. I put in a non-hump seat back and added the metal stops, to the body - to me, humps are ugly and restricting... I prefer not having it, but (darn) I do.
… some one stole the seat outta' my 1960 single cab - boy, I wish they took the humper - gotta' put it back in the '62. So I can put a seat back in the SC - this time, i'll weld it in...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Humpback seat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You can absolutely buy upholstery springs.

If you found one that match those exactly, I'm sure the source would be good information to post for others to know about...

Found a place here in Ireland that custom wind springs to whatever spec you like. Just need a seat to take measurements from.

I've learned a guy has a rhd one down the country, so I may pay him a visit then approach the wire company with the specs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: