Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : (
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

Something similar happened to me many years ago, but mine was so bad, it didn't just bend the hinges upward, it pulled the hinge mounting tabs that are welded to the roof down and created dimples on the topside of the roof Mad

I rigged up a bunch of blocking to restrain the hinges in the open position and used an old hatch to bend them back to nominal angles with brute force.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I can't believe I posted this mistake in August 2017, but after looking at it now I think I know what is wrong and can use a little advise. I'll cut to the chase as per the above I released the hatch and let go like I would on my hatchback as I forgot what I was driving and it flew open hard. Then I was unable to close the hatch. I finally panicked and forced it close as I was on the road and needed it closed. I am able to open it fully only partially. But now I see there is room for adjustment on the bolts to the hinges.

Should I loosen both sides, then how do I adjust the alignment? I think this will fix my problem.

8th reply down....

hazetguy wrote:
just gonna throw this out there, as it could be a "simple" solution: did you make sure that the bolts that hold the hatch to the hinge are (very) tight? if the hatch flew up rapidly and the bolts were not (very) tight, the hatch could have slipped/moved/shifted in the oblong holes in the hinge, particularly if there is a lot of paint on the hinge and the hatch at that mating surface. perhaps all you need is a realignment.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

Thanks hitlist, I'll be doing this today and update later. This hatch problem was keeping lots of work from getting done but obviously I've got so much more to do LOL. I'm feeling very positive about this. Yes doing it alone and I've got this Cool

hitest wrote:
Back out of your garage and do this with the hatch unobstructed. If you are working alone- tie a rope, bungie or whatever's handy to the hatch- limiting it's upward swing so it stays parallel with the ground. The right side bolts look pretty snug (the washers haven't walked around) so I'd leave it snug and only loosen the left side bolts a 1/2 turn. Pull the hatch outward on the hinge until your washers cover the original depressions. Tighten (but just enough to stop movement) the two bolts and test the closing. IF it needs a little more- repeat. When it's perfect- tighten those bolts like you're mad at them.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

I can't believe that is all that was wrong with my hatch and I had not been able to open it for .......er almost 3 years! I was busy with other things for 3 years LOL.

Looking back I was going to farm out the work to an auto shop as I thought I cracked the hatch frame, but I just moved the hatch from the bolted position. I was even scoping out replacement hinges! Now it's not perfect and I'll have to adjust a bunch more maybe loosen the opposite side bolts and put in some kind of shim to adjust properly I'm just happy she opens and closes. I will recruit a friend or neighbor if I can't do it myself.

Funny how I have to step away and then return to see the obvious, but 3 years? Shocked

Thank you hitlist for your advice on adjusting I will need to sand and touchup that scratched lip ASAP. Thanks everyone for your continued support and advice. I hope my posts help others thanks Everett for the opportunity to post here. It feels great to learn and apply my bus build myself Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks hitlist, I'll be doing this today and update later. This hatch problem was keeping lots of work from getting done but obviously I've got so much more to do LOL. I'm feeling very positive about this. Yes doing it alone and I've got this Cool

hitest wrote:
Back out of your garage and do this with the hatch unobstructed. If you are working alone- tie a rope, bungie or whatever's handy to the hatch- limiting it's upward swing so it stays parallel with the ground. The right side bolts look pretty snug (the washers haven't walked around) so I'd leave it snug and only loosen the left side bolts a 1/2 turn. Pull the hatch outward on the hinge until your washers cover the original depressions. Tighten (but just enough to stop movement) the two bolts and test the closing. IF it needs a little more- repeat. When it's perfect- tighten those bolts like you're mad at them.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

So glad you dialed that in.

Oil every pivot point on those hinges now. Use spray oil and don't get it in your eyes. Put a rag around the sprayed wand area so it only gets into the pivot point.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
This weld appears broken.

While you're still able to open and close the hatch, I'd fix this. It definitely looks like that weld is broken, and was probably a casualty of the hatch flying open unexpectedly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

Definitely ^^^ what he said. Get that welded before oil. I bet a good shop could wedge the raised crack area against the overhead to tighten the gap.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

Thanks I will do that!

peecee69 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

While you're still able to open and close the hatch, I'd fix this. It definitely looks like that weld is broken, and was probably a casualty of the hatch flying open unexpectedly.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Maiden voyage just broke my hatch : ( Reply with quote

Thanks after welding I'll oil it.

BarryL wrote:
So glad you dialed that in.

Oil every pivot point on those hinges now. Use spray oil and don't get it in your eyes. Put a rag around the sprayed wand area so it only gets into the pivot point.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: