Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

I have a 1977 super beetle convertible. The wipers worked last year, brought it out of the garage for the summer, replaced the steering wheel and now the wipers do not work.

The fuse has power and there is power to the switch and the ground is good to the switch.

I am at a loss right now how to get them working again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
1977 Super Beetle Convertible ---> Mildred
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

It sounds to me like your wiper motor has seized.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Check to see if you have power from the switch to the wiper motor.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

jimhendrixx wrote:
The wipers worked last year, brought it out of the garage for the summer, replaced the steering wheel and now the wipers do not work.

What jumped out of me is that you just replaced the steering wheel. So you possibly caused the problem yourself.

jimhendrixx wrote:
The fuse has power and there is power to the switch and the ground is good to the switch.

When you turn the wiper switch to "on" and have the key in the "run" position, is there positive voltage "leaving" the switch and getting to the wiper motor?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
It sounds to me like your wiper motor has seized.

I thought that and got a "new" one from a yard. Plugged it in and nothing happened. What are the chances of two seized?
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Hello Friend,
I do have power from the switch to the motor.
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Hello Friend,
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
jimhendrixx wrote:
The wipers worked last year, brought it out of the garage for the summer, replaced the steering wheel and now the wipers do not work.

What jumped out of me is that you just replaced the steering wheel. So you possibly caused the problem yourself.

jimhendrixx wrote:

When you turn the wiper switch to "on" and have the key in the "run" position, is there positive voltage "leaving" the switch and getting to the wiper motor?

The answer is yes, when i unplug the motor at the steering column and tested it, there was power coming from the switch to the motor or at least the plug to the motor.
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

jimhendrixx wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Hello Friend,

The chances of two random 40+ year old electric motors being seized? Fairly high.
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
jimhendrixx wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Hello Friend,

The chances of two random 40+ year old electric motors being seized? Fairly high.

LOL! ok you have me there.
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

jimhendrixx wrote:
virusdoc wrote:
jimhendrixx wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Hello Friend,

LOL! ok you have me there.

Is there a way to take the electric motor apart and clean it and then test it?
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

There is an important ground connection behind (on) the speedometer or at the multi ground connector at the firewall behind the radio area. Maybe the connector came loose at the speedo or at the firewall? The fire wall multi connection on my ‘75 had rusted because of water accumulation in the wiper/blower compartment. You will lose many grounds that way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Ok, so it looks like both motors are TU. I am going to buy a new one or rebuilt one. Which is best. The new ones are cheaper, but look shiny.

Also, do i have to take off the dash to get the wires in and if so, how do i do that?

this is a lot of work for freaking wipers and i live in the PNW on an island!

Thank you for the help,
Mohammad
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Mohammad,
You do not want to take the dash out. In the trunk wiper/blower compartment you need to pull the wiper wires thru the firewall. Remove the rubber wire grommet. Unplug wiper wires from the turn signal switch. Unplug the wiper wire from the fuse box probably top of fuse #10. Unplug ground wire from multi connector on firewall behind the radio. If you have a radio you will have to pull it out To get at the multi connector. Then you willhave to carefully pull the wiring loom and motor out towards you in the trunk through that grommet hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimhendrixx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Super Beetle Vert, Wipers not working Reply with quote

Well, that is what i did, pulled the stereo and found a "rats nest" of wiring to clean up. Took the old wiper motor out, took it apart. Took the "new" one apart (that i got from a junk yard) and put together one good one that works. fingers crossed. Now i have to put it all back together. But preliminary tests show that the one i made out of two motor assemblies works!

Wish me luck. But i didnt have to pull the whole dash off, just get behind it from the stereo area.
1967 VW Beetle ---> Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: