Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PPI Blacksburg, Virginia??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ctipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Any seasoned VW mechanic/owners in the Blacksburg, VA area? I’m currently in communication with an owner there. I’m in Ohio and would be happy to drive down but I’m gonna need a PPI done. Thanks!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Salem Import Service is pretty close. Try asking the owner what he thinks about getting a PPI there, it's less than one hour away, so probably familiar.
Ctipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I’ll look into it. I think I’ve read to steer clear of having a PPI done by the shop that they’ve been using? He said the vehicle (2 owners) has always been serviced by the Bug Shop in Blacksburg, VA
Ctipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Salem Import Services. They were closed so i figured I’d get an answering machine and then leave a message. Nope, Sandra answered and asked me many questions and answered a ton and then got her husband Mark on the line to talk with me more, probably spent 30 minutes just talking about Westys. Made me feel really excited to be a part of this community. So here’s my current curiosity. I haven’t seen the vehicle in person yet, and it’s about 5 1/2 hours away. Do I schedule a time to drive down, inspect it myself, which will basically be like me seeing if the gold looks like it’ll bring out my complexion well and maybe like how clean the interior feels, and also schedule the PPI that same day?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Ctipple wrote:
Do I schedule a time to drive down, inspect it myself, which will basically be like me seeing if the gold looks like it’ll bring out my complexion well and maybe like how clean the interior feels, and also schedule the PPI that same day?

That would be ideal. I drove from Phoenix to SoCal (about the same distance) to look at and drive the van I ended up driving home with. I can't imagine buying sight-unseen, but many have done it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Agree with Kamz. Drive the van if you love it that’s 1/2 the decision right there. Mark is very well respected, he posts and advertises as vwbrain here. Good luck!
Ctipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Thanks. I definitely wasn’t planning on buying it without seeing it. I guess a part of me was wondering I’d like paying for the PPI first to make sure it was in a good enough condition for me to buy it prior to seeing it and making the decision. I’m realizing that’s pretty backwards haha.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Yep. Make sure you like it before the PPI.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Although I was my own Inspector before I bought our Vanagon, we still drove 5 hours or so across several states to look at it.
Wasn’t in shape to drive home at all, so a Flat Bed tow was required.
Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

Ctipple wrote:
Just got off the phone with Salem Import Services. They were closed so i figured I’d get an answering machine and then leave a message. Nope, Sandra answered and asked me many questions and answered a ton and then got her husband Mark on the line to talk with me more
Mark and Sandra are damn good folks.

Mark used to teach "fix yer bus" sessions at VW events like Everybus back in the day.

He is a member of Full Moon Bus Club and spies on Ohio Valley Tribe. You should be too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

I'm not too far down the road - happy to drive a bit to help you check it out. After 5 years of Westy ownership 100's of hours wrenching and 10K in parts I think I've touched just about everything. I have what we need to pressurize the cooling system and do a compression/leakdown test as well.
Ctipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: PPI Blacksburg, Virginia?? Reply with quote

GreenG wrote:
I'm not too far down the road - happy to drive a bit to help you check it out. After 5 years of Westy ownership 100's of hours wrenching and 10K in parts I think I've touched just about everything. I have what we need to pressurize the cooling system and do a compression/leakdown test as well.

Hey I really appreciate that. The owner hasn’t responded to my message about scheduling a time to get down there, but will send you a PM if/when that happens so we can maybe figure out a time.

Nemobuscaptain,
I’m trying to get into those groups on Facebook, but haven’t been approved yet. I haven’t used Facebook and had created one just to join groups but spelled my name backwards so I kinda look like a bot or scammer. Haha. My name on there is Belac Elppit in case you can let me in to either of the groups. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: