Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

So, I'm trying this procedure again while on the road because of a bad idle but am running into an issue. Whenever I unplug the ICV the engine dies immediately. If I unplug it before starting the engine, it won't start at all.

Any ideas why that would happen?

With it still connected I am getting around .5-.6v, but I'm guessing that's a somewhat false reading if the ICV is still connected.

Thanks!
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
So, I'm trying this procedure again while on the road because of a bad idle but am running into an issue. Whenever I unplug the ICV the engine dies immediately. If I unplug it before starting the engine, it won't start at all.

Any ideas why that would happen?

With it still connected I am getting around .5-.6v, but I'm guessing that's a somewhat false reading if the ICV is still connected.

Thanks!

Did you set the ICV with an amp meter? This step is very important. You don't need a special tool, just one wire from male to female connector and the other goes through your amp meter.

With your O2 connected .5-.6V is ok.. Sometimes they will be quite steady. The ICV doesn't have a lot of effect on that. Some but not a lot. Unplug your O2 and check.
rocinante dapple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

Can this procedure be adapted to an air cooled (1980) vanagon? As far as I understand I don't have an 02 sensor to read the voltage from when adjusting the meter.

My AFM is causing a rough idle, but stabilizes, with varying hesitation from idle, when the throttle is engaged. The thing I noticed when I pulled off my plastic cap was at idle, the meter is jumping all over the place, but with the throttle engaged it is more or less stable. And, just out of curiosity, I briefly manually held the arm in place to keep the air meter stable and it improves the stability, go figure, of the idle dramatically.

I have cleaned my points, although I haven't checked my continuity between all the points in the system though. I have a new temp 2 sensor, I have replaced the double relay for the fuel pump, but eventually found that the original one did better after I cleaned it up.
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

rocinante dapple wrote:
Can this procedure be adapted to an air cooled (1980) vanagon? .

You may want to check this out

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7761

English is a second language to me
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

brutisbus wrote:
Thanks, .95 V means too rich, so I thought if I had a leak it would read lower V -lean, but with all the feed back loops in the system, who knows. It does stall out if I turn down the mix screw, so the engine is responding just not showing up in V readings. I just wish I had a baseline I could set this AFM to to start from. How many turns out on mix screw, appx where wiper should be at engine off, and were at idle, what's the normal turns out in idle speed plug. The whole thing is such a cats cradle it would be nice to know where to start from with a system that has been tinkered with buy someone else I'm not confident with. Ugh, and I'm supposed to be heading out on a 3K vacation road trip in a week and tomorrow is one of the last days available to work on it, Murphy is at it again!

Yes, a base line setting would be nice. the only base line i found for AFMs relates to AC FI systems. 60g weight is to crack the flap slightly - spring base line (see second link), but not sure it applies to digijet/digifant AFM's. it should also be noted that 1.1-1.2V is the AFM voltage at idle as that is where they all wear out (see van-cafe shoebox manual for optimal AFC voltages at idle and speed). setting this on my AFM (previously tampered with) gives it a nice idle when warm though running rich (.9V+). When warm it also needs a gas pedal boost to bring it from low idle to proper 950 and runs steady from there. on cold start runs low idle and stumbles until warm. all done in open loop mode, O2 disconnected. When plugged in and warm the rough idle comes back as ECU is trying to lean it out, and sometimes POPs at WOT (probably preignition, though timing is set at 35-40 all in). if anyone else has the base settings for digijet/digifant it would be swell. I still have to test clean the Aux Air Regulator to see if crappy cold idle is due to lack of extra air at warm up. my latest testing and adjustments of the AFM are based on these:

way better calibration technique (AC AFC)
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7761

60g weight flap/spring adjustment:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524738&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

shoebox with 1.9 adapter manual (im experimenting with a 1.9 late 85, which was parked under a tree for a good while):
http://www.van-cafe.com/shop/images/8385-user-manual-troubleshooting-guide-9-26-08.pdf

at this point i need to get a wideband gauge (MTX-L) to investigate further, replace the cat with a straight pipe to prevent clogging while trying to resolve the rich running issue, and fix a slight exhaust leak at cyl 4 (damn dansk aftermarket header's exhaust hanger screw head is in the way). leaving the O2 disconnected for now.

so far replaced all sensors and tested at the ECU plug as prescribed. adjusted timing (was waaay advanced). could not locate a single vac leak with propane, but have not connected a vac gauge as of yet.

Last edited by jerryherb on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

can someone actually provide some base settings from an unadulterated AFM (force/weight to open a flap, voltage at idle, # of turns of the CO screw, etc)? there is not need to open the AFM for this. variables from a NOS would be nice, but i guess refurbs "should" be up to factory spec, whatever that means, and not based on individual engine's behavior. my original AFM has a 013 mark on the spring so that is what i would be most interested in seeing (late 85 1.9 digijet system).
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

OK, maybe I'm missing something here...but I don't think I have an idle mixture screw on my AFM. Bentley says to drill out a cap, but I drilled about 5mm down into the place where it's supposed to be and it just looks like solid aluminum. Engine is stock MV 2.1, 1989.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

the hex mixture screw is under that plug. you need to screw a sheet rock screw or something into the plug and pull it out with a pliers. congrats on having a non-tampered AFM!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the hex mixture screw is under that plug. you need to screw a sheet rock screw or something into the plug and pull it out with a pliers. congrats on having a non-tampered AFM!

Got it, thanks!

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
Cathrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

Hi all, I have been reading through this post with great interest, so much information!
I have collected a few AFM's, all appear to work fine with a drive test on my '89 2.1 MV.
I have yet to measure each in detail to check what I have and make sure they are all good, but most seem untampered with and in good condition.

What I have noticed though is a big variation on the spring tension between them all.
I need to re-read these posts to understand the operation better, but am surprised the ones I have are all OK in a drive test given the spring tension is so different.
I have put each in the van for a week to test, but have not compared fuel economy with each.

I don't have any issues with the van, but while it's running well I'm collecting spares and testing them all.

Richard
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

Cathrich,

There was another topic that discussed relaxing the spring 3 clicks. This might account for the less taught spring you are finding. This was, in effect, supposed to create Full Enrichment more quickly than 40 seconds at WOT.

I have no dog in that game as of yet.
81aircoolcalifinCanada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

Hi! Will this procedure (on page one) work on a '81 Aircool Calif? Or only on later models? Thanks!
E J Egg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon (Digifant) Air Flow Meter (AFM) Adjustment Procedure Reply with quote

In Australia remanufactured 86 -92 AFM's available from Injectronics
https://injectronics.com.au/register-a-repair/details/air-mass-flow-meter/287
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: