Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 EVC AC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

I seem to have a unfindable leak in my AC system. I suspect it might be the evaporator. I have a sniffer detector coming to possibly confirm my suspicion. I have a empty system and it will not hold vacuum. I have tried the soapy solution with air pressure in the system, no bubbles detected. I am looking for guidance/suggestions. If it is the evaporator I know the dash has to come out, I have done that before.

Evaporators seem to be NLA. Any suggestions? Will stop leak help?

1995 Eurovan Camper
Skitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

I would definitely try the stop leak before tearing out the dash. Just did this job to fix the flappers on mine. I also changed out all the AC parts except the evaporator since I too found it NLA. Just my opinion, the evaporator is caged up and pretty well what makes you think it could be where it's leaking? If it is leaking and the part isn't available, you could just bring it to a AC shop and they'll be able to solder / plug up the leak for you. Plus this route would be cheaper than getting a new evaporator since from what I've seen this part is $$$.
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I had the dash out over the winter and replaced everything but the evaporator, because it looked good. The hoses are NLA too so they stayed. Silly me for not pressure testing it. I am waiting for a freon sniffer to arrive so I can check out the system even further. BTW I already had this in a shop for big $. after a month idt didn't work again. They wanted to throw components at it. I figured I would have a go at it. If I get a solution I will post what I find.

1995 Eurovan Camper
Skitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Yeah, let me know what you find out. You might get lucky like I did. Mine wasn't holding a vacuum either and it turned out to be one of the o-rings on the expansion valve that wasn't seated right and crushed. Rock Auto sells a kit with all the rings for like $15. Ended up changing most that I could for piece of mind.
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Still struggling with the AC on my EVC. Flushed system and replaced about everything. Compressor, acululator, exp. valve, condenser and new. Got everything running and the fans would not come on at low speed when the AC was on. Replaced the resistors, fans started then the resistor for the drivers side fan got red hot and the fan stopped. I suspected a short in the wire, tested and the power -red and white wire to the fan seemed to have a direct path to ground. Tested the fan directly wired and it ran fine. Replace the power wire from the resistor to the fan. It ran fine with the key turned on. Started the van up and turned on the AC and the resistor got hot again and the fan did not work. Kind of stumped at this point. Relays.? ground?

Can anyone make suggestions?

1995 Eurovan Camper
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

I’ll send you a pm

I’m a county down from you in ALB , let me know if you drive by and we can bang heads on it. I’m decent with electrical stuff and AC.

Senator, I’ve met Telford. You’re no Telford
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan- let me get my act together.

1995 Eurovan Camper
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Abscate:

PM sent, did you get it?

1995 Eurovan Camper
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

Salem7 wrote:
Abscate:

PM sent, did you get it?

I didn’t. Sent you one
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 EVC AC Reply with quote

AC ISSUES SOLVED:

After a long struggle the leak was identified- The low side service port was leaking ever so slightly through the schrader valve. The valve is not serviceable so a new service port had to be installed. The port is threded on and sealed with an oring

The leak would not show up on the gauge set as the gauges set seems to contain the leak. A vacuum could be held for days with the gauge set on.

Things I learned:

Don't ever use stop leak. If you have a leak-find it. Stop leak messes up the system and decreases efficiency.

Replace the fan resistors. They are probably shot anyway. Now I get proper fan operation even without the AC running.

There are two metal plates very close to the fan resistor electrical connections. Things get red hot quickly with a direct short to ground when the connection touches the plate. Bend them away and insulate.

AC issues can be very frustrating.

1995 Eurovan Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: