Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I recently considered going to a 16" wheel and tire combo and wondered if it could be done fairly easily from my 15" wheels.

So after all of that...and I thank everyone for their input...I'm sticking with my 15" properly load rated tires when it's time to replace them. Smile

Best of luck OP!

Brian

By the end of today I'll have switched from 16" "euro look" alloys to 15" steel wheels with BFG 215/75 tires. Why? I like the look of the steel wheels; I've been wanting to try the BFGs for awhile; I like the higher profile tire. I'll probably sell the set I like the least or keep them as a spare set.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
bjrogers86auto wrote:
I recently considered going to a 16" wheel and tire combo and wondered if it could be done fairly easily from my 15" wheels.

So after all of that...and I thank everyone for their input...I'm sticking with my 15" properly load rated tires when it's time to replace them. Smile

Best of luck OP!

Brian

By the end of today I'll have switched from 16" "euro look" alloys to 15" steel wheels with BFG 215/75 tires. Why? I like the look of the steel wheels; I've been wanting to try the BFGs for awhile; I like the higher profile tire. I'll probably sell the set I like the least or keep them as a spare set.

These? Nice

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

^^^Ha! I studied the photo for awhile, looked for the tire size, saw the bbq...Wait! That's my house! Those ARE my tires!

So, yes. I'd forgotten I added that photo to the gallery. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:
Hi Samba folks-

I know there are dozens Of posts about this, and I’ve been scanning through them all, but there’s still just so much information and I really need the basics.

I’ve got stock 14” tires , P185/75R14/89S

Those tires are not stock, not even close, and they are horribly underspec. I bet that bus wallows like a boat. Personally Id drive those straight to a tire shop to by tires or wheels and tires. Id consider that a "limited use spare" and drive 45ish and avoid hard turns.

I find it hard to believe someone found a tire shop to install that tire on a bus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^Ha! I studied the photo for awhile, looked for the tire size, saw the bbq...Wait! That's my house! Those ARE my tires!

So, yes. I'd forgotten I added that photo to the gallery. Very Happy

That's the same tire & size I had a few years ago. I had them on Passat 15" rims. The newer BFG AT's look a little more aggressive. Mine were KO1's.

I just installed 35mm lift blocks before I took the pic. I painted the outer part of the rim black, and kept the center section silver.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:
bjrogers86auto wrote:

Best of luck OP!

Brian

Maybe you have my answer then! Looks like you have the same 2.1 westy as me.
What kind of wheels did you change to and what kind of tires are you riding on?
Do you like what you have?
How has it differed from the 14s?

I have Passat wheels plus spacers and hard ware. My tires are Continental Vanco. They are probably 4/5 years old now and have been a great tire. I can still source them in 205/65/15 as well the Cooper Discoverer.

No big difference between 14" to 15". The big difference was my original 15" tires were a passenger tire run at max pressure. Although many are ok with it, once I switched to a "C" rated tire the difference is very noticeable. I run far below max psi and the sidewall sway is gone. I wouldn't go back to a passenger tire again.

I do like the steel wheel look and may consider that in the future.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

So after a couple weeks of research and pricing it out, considering everyone’s advice and feedback, and my own needs and budget I ended up going with probably the most standard option:
Hankook Vantra RA18- 19514, 106R 8 ply.
Slightly wider tire and heavier load rating, but basically a standard Vanagon tire that fits, is safe, and satisfies all of my immediate needs.

I came to this decision for a few reasons:
1. I learned through this discussion that my current tires are badly underrated. My desire to switch to 16” quickly got upgraded to an immediate need to change tires to properly rated tires fast.
2. A LOT of people vouch for the Hankooks as a solid option.
3. I live in south Florida and frankly, the van doesn’t do any steep climbs, aggressive driving, or have any real need for tough all season tires. Our roads are pretty good here, so for the moment, this seemed like the way to go.
4. Water, however, was a consideration, and having a narrower tire with all the rain we get seemed like the best option.
5. I like the look of the 16” tires, Bigger rims, and taller stance overall on the van, but new wheels and hardware was easily going to double my budget. And I have plenty of body work in my foreseeable future if I’m concerned about aesthetics.
6. No modifications on the spare tire carrier.
7. At $88 a pop, and free shipping, I couldn’t go wrong on the price.

Thanks to everyone for their generous info sharing. Learned a ton along the way, and have a pretty legit spreadsheet with tire and wheel Preferences for when and if I do eventually decide to switch to a different size....
Then of course, by that time I’m sure half the tires on my list will already be discontinued and I’ll start this process all over again.

But I’m better for it. Thanks Samba community!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. Upgraded wheels and tires is as you found more complicated then it first looks. I wanted larger diameter tires for off road and rather then going through the necessary mods to do it I just decided to go the route that was already proven by VW for the Syncro 16. That made it simple for me plus I did get the 4wd I wanted as opposed to getting the Syncro 14" and doing the mods.

Has does it ride with the new Hankooks now vs. the old tires you had?

Where in South Florida are you located near?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:

3. I live in south Florida and frankly, the van doesn’t do any steep climbs, aggressive driving, or have any real need for tough all season tires. Our roads are pretty good here, so for the moment, this seemed like the way to go.
4. Water, however, was a consideration, and having a narrower tire with all the rain we get seemed like the best option.

I wasn't aware that the new model name of the "Vanagon" Hanook is Vantra. (old thread):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...u.#8384664

But in looking for the Vantra, discovered that bus depot offers a 185 and 195 Vantra:

https://www.busdepot.com/ra18
https://www.busdepot.com/ra18195

So much to learn... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

OP, you made a rock-solid choice: good tires for your needs and truly simple. As with many of these choices, the path to the decision can be a bit complicated though.

I drove a Vanagon for 17 years with 185 14s and enjoyed every minute. Now I'm experimenting with 15s after running several sets of 16s on the wheels that came with this van. Every tire and wheel purchase has included a bunch reading at the samba.

Abscate wrote:

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

CelestysWesty wrote:
So after a couple weeks of research and pricing it out, considering everyone’s advice and feedback, and my own needs and budget I ended up going with probably the most standard option:
Slightly wider tire and heavier load rating, but basically a standard Vanagon tire that fits, is safe, and satisfies all of my immediate needs.

I came to this decision for a few reasons:
1. I learned through this discussion that my current tires are badly underrated. My desire to switch to 16” quickly got upgraded to an immediate need to change tires to properly rated tires fast.
5. I like the look of the 16” tires, Bigger rims, and taller stance overall on the van, but new wheels and hardware was easily going to double my budget. And I have plenty of body work in my foreseeable future if I’m concerned about aesthetics.
6. No modifications on the spare tire carrier.

Thanks to everyone for their generous info sharing. Learned a ton along the way, and have a pretty legit spreadsheet with tire and wheel Preferences for when and if I do eventually decide to switch to a different size....
Then of course, by that time I’m sure half the tires on my list will already be discontinued and I’ll start this process all over again.

But I’m better for it. Thanks Samba community!

I bought a set of those HD little tires when I first bought my Syncro. I needed some tires, and I was unsure the direction I was going to go with this van. I've had a few air cooled buses, and they were fine with 14's. It's a very good tire for the price if you are uncertain on a tire/wheel combo. I think they were 55 or 60 psi? You will not hurt them.

My current iteration looks way different than it did 6 years ago...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2028265.jpg
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

Wow.
You went from a passenger 89 load to a 106 8 ply rating.

I'd say you chose very wisely. Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

FWIW: Twice, I've bought the 15" Carat wheel and Nokian tire package from Van Cafe, and loved them; they arrive mounted and ready to ride.
I also have 16" VW wheels and Michelin XIce2 winter tires on a Syncro, and also 15" Rhein rims with KO2s for same van. I think I prefer the 15" wheels.
Virtually the same tire height with each package, adjusted for wheel size, if that makes sense. Which it did to me when I researched it until my brain hurt!
CelestysWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch to 16” tires, I want to keep it simple Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Where in South Florida are you located near?

Down in Miami! Close to Miami Shores. If you're ever around, give me a shout!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: