Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Camper LED Panel and TruckFridge
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
geoffraynak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: GoWesty Camper LED Panel and TruckFridge Reply with quote

hey everyone ...
i just installed the GW Camper LED in Butters ...
Everything works perfect ...
But the blue 'pilot light' is now a solution looking for a problem.

Is it possible to repurpose it for 'the truck fridge is turned on'?
Connection-wise, it would just mean repurposing the black lead into the 6-pin connector where the G103 originally went (91 Vanagon)

the G103 gas sensor does not list any voltage outputs ... but it seems to feed directly into the original display unit (per Bentley 97.33b-c)
would love to be able to tap into the +12V signal off the fridge and drive the LED ... that way I can be sure that i did (or didn't) leave the fridge on

i just don't want to zap my new GW circuit board...

thanks everyone!!!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Camper LED Panel and TruckFridge Reply with quote

It's only a few mV from the original thermocouple. So assuming there's a 12V 'signal' that says the Truckfridge is ON, you need to feed the circuit via a voltage 'ladder'. If you used a 12kohm (to that 'signal' 12V) in series with a 100ohm resistor (the other end of which to ground) then the junction would be at 100mV, which should turn the LED on.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Camper LED Panel and TruckFridge Reply with quote

Neat idea but I have no idea what signal is always on when the temp knob is turned clockwise. Does it complete a circuit or does the control need to be turned on + the temp sensor needs to be turned on? It'd be easy to top into the circuit for the fan and compressor but that's only on some of the time. I'd probably just end up letting all the smoke out of the system. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Camper LED Panel and TruckFridge Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Neat idea but I have no idea what signal is always on when the temp knob is turned clockwise. Does it complete a circuit or does the control need to be turned on + the temp sensor needs to be turned on? It'd be easy to top into the circuit for the fan and compressor but that's only on some of the time. I'd probably just end up letting all the smoke out of the system. Very Happy

That would give you the same result as using the compressor or fan feed. I'm not sure there *is* a signal that says the fridge has power AND the thermostat is away from it's switched-off position. However, I haven't yet looked at a Truckfridge circuit diagram (only just purchased mine) so if someone knows better perhaps they might comment?

I'm not going to bother wiring that up myself, I've just ordered an Inkbird 1000F thermostat that has its own temperature readout. This I'll mount at the left-hand end of the sink front panel. At $15 it was a no-brainer. Wink
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inkbird-ITC-1000-12V-Digi...3986431927
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: