Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 533, 534, 535 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thanks 4Gears4Tires & campism, on some level I know this has happened to other people and that helps. Still pretty ticked off/bumfuzzled at myself about it.

Looks good now, although I'm not used to how dark that tent is. Wowsa! Might even sleep in some mornings.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finished replacing the fuel hoses yesterday. Found all the old ones to be in good condition despite having the worm clamps. I do need a new bushing for the metal return line going through the firewall.

I also diagnosed an annoying oil leak. Turns out one of my valve covers was quite bent out of shape. Wonder how that happened. Maybe a rock or something?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tried to bend it back to stem the leak but will probably have to find a new one.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

VW Garages always plenty of those lying around.

Re bushing, you can just put another layer of hose (fuel hose, garden hose,...) around the first hose. Will last a while, and way easier to visually inspect than a grommet.
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Good idea re. the hose. It's actually a piece of steel pipe going through the firewall, with a hose attaching to it on the outside of the engine compartment. I'll put a piece of the old hose around it with some zip ties.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

covelo,

Are you thinking that the lower edge 'bend' in the picture of the valve cover is new and causing your leak? Check the other side. Then look at a few pictures of covers available at the big vendor sites. It is possible that what you are looking at is not new, but perhaps it is how these covers come. It might be that your leak is actually due to something else, and not that 'bent spot' at all. I have seen covers with that same look, I think it is to provide a spot to pry a cover off in case it became glued on from heat (and too little maintenance).

If you are talking about a different spot, let me know so I can look again.

-bobby
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Good point. Try changing the gasket for starters. They're the cheapest spare part you can buy too!
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got fed up and cut the rusty pins off the sides of my sinka using a cut off wheel. I then pressed out the rusted pins. All is fixed now. I can now mount and dismount the sides of my sinka.

I realized this picture may seem 'awkward' to all you van drivers out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I got fed up and cut the rusty pins off the sides of my sinka using a cut off wheel. I then pressed out the rusted pins. All is fixed now. I can now mount and dismount the sides of my sinka.

That poor thing is NAKED now... I can't unsee what I just saw.... Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I sure enjoy seeing pics of your Sinka. They inspire me to consider getting one. Look at that awesome flat bed!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I agree with Jimf - it looks really nice. I don't dare let my wife see that photo!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
covelo,

Are you thinking that the lower edge 'bend' in the picture of the valve cover is new and causing your leak? Check the other side. Then look at a few pictures of covers available at the big vendor sites. It is possible that what you are looking at is not new, but perhaps it is how these covers come. It might be that your leak is actually due to something else, and not that 'bent spot' at all. I have seen covers with that same look, I think it is to provide a spot to pry a cover off in case it became glued on from heat (and too little maintenance).

If you are talking about a different spot, let me know so I can look again.

-bobby

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll check. It definitely leaked in that spot but worth making sure.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

You could get an old van body and cut off the top of the back end and make yourself a nice canopy to cover the bed, both for secure storage and to make us all feel better.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:

You could get an old van body and cut off the top of the back end and make yourself a nice canopy to cover the bed, both for secure storage and to make us all feel better.

That is a very interesting idea.

My current idea is to remake the sides to be removable ATV ramps. Dual purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

That is a really nice feature, my Suzuki drop panels are like that and it is really handy. Just slide them off when you don't want them on. I'm always surprised that Ford/GM/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan/etc. has never gotten into marketing beds like this in the US.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

That is a really nice feature, my Suzuki drop panels are like that and it is really handy. Just slide them off when you don't want them on. I'm always surprised that Ford/GM/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan/etc. has never gotten into marketing beds like this in the US.

Given all the beds that are removed and replaced with flatbeds it's surprising mfrs don't offer a few different options to the standard box other than bed length.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
loverofpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sanded and painted the rear bumper black. Resealed two of the rear windows with silicone Smile
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put reflective tape on the deck lid.
This idea was originally posted in the Texas Vanagons (http://texasvanagons.com/deck-lid-safety-reflective-tape/ ) website a few years ago. Brilliant!
I used 18" strips of red and white tape in alternating "valleys" unlike the original poster, but I think that is plenty and I still have a few feet of tape left over. I plan to test it out tonight.
I used the following product but there are many choices: Starrey Reflective Tape 1 IN X 15 FT Red White DOT-C2 High Intensity Grade - Conspicuity Safety Warning Tape. $8 on Amazon.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
Put reflective tape on the deck lid.
This idea was originally posted in the Texas Vanagons (http://texasvanagons.com/deck-lid-safety-reflective-tape/ ) website a few years ago. Brilliant!
I used 18" strips of red and white tape in alternating "valleys" unlike the original poster, but I think that is plenty and I still have a few feet of tape left over. I plan to test it out tonight.
I used the following product but there are many choices: Starrey Reflective Tape 1 IN X 15 FT Red White DOT-C2 High Intensity Grade - Conspicuity Safety Warning Tape. $8 on Amazon.

You should also put the reflective tape on the bottom and sides of the rear hatch. This will be visible when the hatch is opened at night.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made my upper control arms young again.

Primed (Who needs a paint booth?)

Painted

Bushing "pressed" in (Turns out the axle socket is the perfect size for the job!)

Tackled some surface rust while I was at it. Wirebrush, Ospho, 2 coats of Rustoleum paint

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

All I wanted to do was change the gear lube in the Westy's transaxle.

One of the POs had welded the plate under the exhaust crossover pipe to the pipe. Couldn't fit a socket with a breaker bar in there. Got a 2" piece of 17mm hex bar off Amazon, fitted a 17mm box end on to it and, Voila!, case is drained. Already made sure the fill port is accessible. Redline awaits.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 533, 534, 535 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 534 of 629

Jump to: