Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daily Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

How do beauty rings attach to the rims? anyone have pics?

Any advice on current place to buy something of quality? or something to avoid?

I own a 66 but have access to some 64 rims and want to get some non-slotted beauty rings for the older rims w/whitewall tires to put on the car when I want to go with an older look.

Thanks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Daily Double wrote:

They just lay on there and the hubcap holds them tight in place once they are installed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

The one thing I have seen in over many years of using these on my 62 Beetle, is that rotation will, over time, shift them to the point where the hole for the valve stem shifts and starts pulling on the stem. So when I put my hupcaps on I try to position my trim rings with the valve stems on the other side of that shift.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

My 61 has original rings and they do not attach to the rim by the hubcap but clip to the outside of the rim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

meranda wrote:
My 61 has original rings and they do not attach to the rim by the hubcap but clip to the outside of the rim

curious what makes you think they are original? what markings are on them?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The one thing I have seen in over many years of using these on my 62 Beetle, is that rotation will, over time, shift them to the point where the hole for the valve stem shifts and starts pulling on the stem. So when I put my hupcaps on I try to position my trim rings with the valve stems on the other side of that shift.

good ones had rubber around the valve stem hole for this reason. You do not see them very often
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

meranda wrote:

Oh, did he mean those types of rings?

In that case they attach via tabs on the back side.
They "clip" onto the rim.
Example

For some reason I was thinking he had some accessory rings like these, that are held on by the hubcap

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Here is the back of one of mine

1974 Porsche 911S Targa
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

I do not consider them as "beauty" rings.

In the sixties perhaps they were nice.

But now I consider more attractive a 2 color painted wheel, it appearse a lot more vintage.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Seems to be a matter of interpretation of the two different "rings": in my opinion, beauty rings are those which are held in place by the hubcap and extend from the hubcap outwards to the wheel outer edge. Trim rings are those that are attached to, and only cover the outer wheel section. Many people mix up the two types, though even VW of America's official 1966 Accessories brochure lists the full-width rings as trim rings. I realize the car shown here is a '67 model yr.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

On a different note late 80s early to mid 90s Ford F-150 trim rings will fit. They look a little different but used to be cheap, like less than 5 bucks cheap at salvage. If you didn’t say anything they might not notice. Very Happy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Daily Double wrote:

Any advice on current place to buy something of quality? or something to avoid?

I own a 66 but have access to some 64 rims and want to get some non-slotted beauty rings for the older rims w/whitewall tires to put on the car when I want to go with an older look.

Thanks!

Since your question has been answered, I have one for you. What are you going to do with the '66 wheels that you remove?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daily Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts - I didn't think about trim rings vs beauty rings.

I meant the outer rings that clip (thanks for the pics) to the rim. Just like the pics from meranda

67 Florida Deluxe - I plan to keep them. I want to be able to have a true 66 look as well as the look of an earlier 60 beetle - no space or $ for both Smile

Anyone have a recent purchase of some that you like?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

Daily Double wrote:

67 Florida Deluxe - I plan to keep them. I want to be able to have a true 66 look as well as the look of an earlier 60 beetle - no space or $ for both Smile

Dangit Mad ! I'm trying to find nice '66/'67 black and white wheels stateside. Respect, though, for keeping them for the car Wink

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

And I like the trim rings so much I bought a set from Just Kampers in England last year for my 68 1500.
1974 Porsche 911S Targa
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Daily Double wrote:

Dangit Mad ! I'm trying to find nice '66/'67 black and white wheels stateside. Respect, though, for keeping them for the car Wink

I have a nice set of 5 that I would sell you for $4,000 each (if you buy all 5).
The car is free. Wink
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Beauty rings - installation & advice on purchasing Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Daily Double wrote:

I have a nice set of 5 that I would sell you for $4,000 each (if you buy all 5).
The car is free. Wink

Well, isn't that special!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: