Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield seal fit
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

Replaced windshield seal with this “OE German” blocked seal from CIP1.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D143%2D845%2D121%2DC

Fit pretty well except this small gap. This seal seems to have a little less width than the one it replaced. Is this typical and I just have to wrestle with the seal and chrome trim? Or is this a substandard product?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was also wondering if this notched lip along the bottom length of the opening is original and if it has something to do with the fit? Seemed a little odd.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

J1, I have a 71 and I don't have that strip with 'gripping teeth'. If you click on the link you provided for CIP1, the part for an earlier model description says"
FRONT WINDOW SEAL W/ GROOVE FOR MOLDING GHIA 67-69 (70-74 IF GRIPPING TEETH ARE REMOVED)
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D143%2D121B

So it looks like if you remove that grip strip on there and using molding, you can order this other part. Not sure if that would make a difference on the fitting gap you show. You can always call and ask CIP1, they may have someone knowledgeable on specific details.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

I have a 71 also. Before I acquired the car, the dash was replaced with a 62 dash. I have the gripping teeth along the top, but the bottom ones were removed. The windshield in the car was just installed last year before I got the car and it had a very good fit. The seal was the blocked type like you mentioned. I wonder if your seal is just not seated correctly in that corner? My glass is out but the seal and trim are still all in tact as it was on the car when removed.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

My '71 has the 'gripper teeth' around the full perimeter of windshield aperture.

Bryan
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

If it’s any help, a few years ago, I paid an auto windscreen company to fit the screen in my black 1970 coupe.
I wasn’t happy with the result so pulled the screen out and fitted it another 3 times myself before I was even close to nearly happy with the fit. Mine had the gripper stuff too.
It also seemed too small to fill the gap.
Bit it did, just about, in the end.
Good luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

from my experience replacing windshield seals, although not many, and most without the chrome trim, the windshield can sometimes need to be adjusted side to side to even the gaps and also setting it in the sun so it can relax into place.
also make sure its completely seated in place.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

I just remembered what I did a few yew years ago on my 1970.

I laid a few mm of silicone sealant on the edge of the screen to make the glass a few mm’s bigger on the edges that seem a little short.
Once it had gone off I trimmed it flush with a blade. This helped push the rubber out that extra bit to properly fill the screen hole in the car body.

Just my experience.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

I think it was common practice back in the day to use a short length of cord or string laid into the corners of the seal to "increase" the size of the windshield so that the seal fit correctly.

When I pulled the windshield out my 66 that I'm currently restoring, all 4 corners had a length of cord in them.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

Looks like the outer lip of seal is tucked in, you need to use something to pull lip out. Should go to the line you see from the seal you replaced.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield seal fit Reply with quote

Thanks all for the confirmation. It is seated fine as far as I can tell and it’s not tucked in so there’s definitely something off.

Gripping teeth? That’s a new VW term for me. Makes me think of my 16 pound alpha dog attacking a German Shepherd who then used his “gripping teeth” on my dogs rump, landing us in the ER.

kgj wrote:
I wasn’t happy with the result so pulled the screen out and fitted it another 3 times myself before I was even close to nearly happy with the fit.

I already made a couple attempts so I’m not far behind. Good to know it can take a few tries. I guess I’m not as lucky (or skilled) as those who have posted about knocking this out in 30 minutes.

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I think it was common practice back in the day to use a short length of cord or string laid into the corners of the seal to "increase" the size of the windshield so that the seal fit correctly.

Sounds like a good approach. My rear window has the same problem so I may be getting pretty darn good at this!

Though living in Southern California I have to admit I’m tempted to move on to something more fun. I’m not very fond of working with rubber seals. I always seem to cut something wrong or it doesn’t behave and it’s just not very satisfying!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: