Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight jack stand recall
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I'd love to buy jacks, jack stands, and tools like my dad had when I was growing up. But yard sales, etc. are the only possible way. There is nobody making tools like that anymore anywhere in the world for any price.

I'd love to buy American, but paying $400 for the same crappy jack stand because it has "at least 51% of assembly performed in the US" is not going to happen. That's not how to save jobs.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I'd love to buy jacks, jack stands, and tools like my dad had when I was growing up. But yard sales, etc. are the only possible way. There is nobody making tools like that anymore anywhere in the world for any price. I'd love to buy American.

There is boat loads of this stuff still around and it sells for pennies, it helps to know what it looks like because it’s hiding in plain sight.

www.alloy-artifacts.com

Happy hunting Very Happy
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The older American stuff is rebuildable professional and meant to last a lifetime. The chinese shit is throwaway disposable but you’ll keep buying it right? Very Happy

This is a real American made hein Warner from late 60s. While you’re getting drunk Memorial Day think about all the products we don’t make anymore because good Americans support china via harbor freight. Very Happy

that's a whole lot of shit talking right there. Guess if you're old and bought it new thats all well and dandy, but I'm not and didn't Rolling Eyes and flea markets, etc aren't exactly open right now
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The older American stuff is rebuildable professional and meant to last a lifetime. The chinese shit is throwaway disposable but you’ll keep buying it right? Very Happy

This is a real American made hein Warner from late 60s. While you’re getting drunk Memorial Day think about all the products we don’t make anymore because good Americans support china via harbor freight. Very Happy

that's a whole lot of shit talking right there. Guess if you're old and bought it new thats all well and dandy, but I'm not and didn't Rolling Eyes and flea markets, etc aren't exactly open right now

Excuses, excuses😀 just buck up and own it.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I can barely read the label on my 25 year old Hein Werner jack stands………..I thought for sure they were made in the USA....They were made in CHINA. Now I am looking for my NAPA round cylinder type, about 40 years old. I am sure they were USA. MAYBE!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Has anyone taken a look at “ the problem “ maybe you could take a rotary file and enlarge the groove where pawl seats for better engagement. Just an idea. Idea
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Has anyone taken a look at “ the problem “ maybe you could take a rotary file and enlarge the groove where pawl seats for better engagement. Just an idea. Idea

That may be possible, but repairing or modifying an item that has been recalled for a serious safety issue may not be a good idea. Better to scrap them and find better ones, wherever they may have been built.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

you must have a shop full of it.but probably dont know it. Ive had many that dont work.and american ones that are pure shit, they are nolonger around... well one or 2 are still hear afu and rusted.as of yet I havent had any china units waddup. most china jack stands are built over kill for the rating, but many have shite for ratshit mecha nissium...and some have a roll pin holding the prawl, they should of been/should be welded. but that makes disassembly inpossiable... a good grade 8 or tit boilt may be better if you like taking yours apart for relaxation.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

That may be possible, but repairing or modifying an item that has been recalled for a serious safety issue may not be a good idea. Better to scrap them and find better ones, wherever they may have been built.

Crazy me thinking like a mechanic solving a problem but if they are giving you a replacement that’s ok too. 😀 I’ve worked many a service bulletin or recall that requires an easy fix but because of liability they have to treat it like this because consumers are stupid and cannot affect a solution. I keep forgetting that because I’m a licensed mechanic. Carry on. 😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I heard Harbor Freight is recalling Mark Tucker.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Crazy me thinking like a mechanic solving a problem but if they are giving you a replacement that’s ok too. 😀 I’ve worked many a service bulletin or recall that requires an easy fix but because of liability they have to treat it like this because consumers are stupid and cannot affect a solution. I keep forgetting that because I’m a licensed mechanic. Carry on. 😀

True, it is quite likely an easy fix that any of us here could remedy. But to expect everyday consumers to take care of things would be a stretch, especially with many auto recall situations.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Checked mine and all four of them were the recalled part number. Took them back today and got $44 for them (HF gift card).

The defect was strange. Hard to see what exactly was wrong, but the pawl didn’t fit the ratchet teeth well. It looked like they ground it too much and lopsided.

For any jack stand, you should inspect it, check any welds, check how the mechanism works. It’s a simple thing. When I first got mine I noticed that one in particular seemed janky. I selected the best two out of four and so far never needed more than two at a time.

I’m glad I survived the experience!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Wow. You'd put in the effort to "fix" chintzy, crappy jack stands? If the manufacturer cut corners on the manufacturing, then what's to say corners weren't cut on the material used? Being maimed or killed is not a pretty way for an auto repair to end.

The people complaining about the cost of tools need to learn to pay once and cry once by putting in some effort to search Teh Inteweb Thingy. Torrin is one of the better brands out there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Wow. You'd put in the effort to "fix" chintzy, crappy jack stands? If the manufacturer cut corners on the manufacturing, then what's to say corners weren't cut on the material used? Being maimed or killed is not a pretty way for an auto repair to end.

The people complaining about the cost of tools need to learn to pay once and cry once by putting in some effort to search Teh Inteweb Thingy. Torrin is one of the better brands out there.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/big-red-...gLMpvD_BwE

Made in China.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I like these. Might need to order some.

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Aluminum-Jack-Stands/dp/B0007XTGCI

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

^^^^

I have the Snap-Off version of those. I call them "car show" stands. no way in hell would I get under a car with them.

I have always used this style

way, way back in shop class we had a OSHA guy come thru and do a shop safety gig for the class. he strongly advised against the use of the ratchet style stands.

every "commercial" shop I have been in (fleet maintenance, HD truck and equipment) have always had the pin style stands in the tool crib

the aluminum ones pictured above leave a lot to be desired. like I said, I have the Snap-Off version and they are a bit flimsy to me. great for doing a tire or something...but no way would I support a car and get under it with those.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

^^^ Good to know. I have a set similar to those you pictured that I use for getting under heavy stuff. I have a very old set of HF ratchet style stands for using under lower, lighter stuff, which I don't fit under anyway.

And I have a hoist, so the jack stands don't see much use anymore.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I mean these $250 jack stands look exactly like northern tools

If you have jack stands like these, inspect the weld/s at the seams. I had a set that were just tack welded in one spot near the lower edge. This weld popped & the legs splayed outward & the stand collapsed.

Erik G wrote:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20...ent=728x90

You can see that the seam is fully welded on these.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

If you have jack stands like these, inspect the weld/s at the seams. I had a set that were just tack welded in one spot near the lower edge. This weld popped & the legs splayed outward & the stand collapsed.

Didn't we have a thread on here in the last few years where this was discussed? I recall a warning just as you describe pertaining to this style of stand splitting at the seams, and the recommendation was to get a type that is not even built with that seam in the first place.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Didn't we have a thread on here in the last few years where this was discussed? I recall a warning just as you describe pertaining to this style of stand splitting at the seams, and the recommendation was to get a type that is not even built with that seam in the first place.

Probably. Since these were brought up again I wanted to point it out since this is a VERY dangerous situation that I encountered. When the first one splayed out, the other twisted & folded up dropping the car to the floor. The other sets that I had, I welded the entire seam & they have been fine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: