Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split window door latch and handle problems
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonreed98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

im hoping someone can help me with this. I have an early 60s split window door with matching new latch and ice pick handles. For some reason the little "cage" on the latch is too large for my ice pick door handle to slide in so it can be screwed to the door. I have the original latches and they look the same as new, and I have the originals doors and the latch looks to have the same problem as the new door. I donít have the original door ice picks so I cant compare. Do I have the wrong door handles? I have two different Ice picks. C24-211-837-205 B & C

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

Do you mean they won't even insert into the hole in the door?

You do have to "open" the door handle off the base to get it to slide in there.
Hook the front side, then sort of open it more and the rear end with the screw mounts pushes in.

There are 2 different bases, one for flat doors like yours and one for the recessed doors used from 61-early 64 but I believe only the height of the base differs to account for the indent, not the width or the door opening.

Quote:
211-837-205 B & C

B is definitely the earlier style driver's side door handle for your flat door.
C I am not sure if that is the same as B or for the indented door.
The indented door is normally E/F but there is a C and D variation that fits one or the other door.

I'm assuming they are repro handles.
Do repro handles not fit?
I hadn't heard that from anyone

Quote:

This looks like a passenger side internal mechanism
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonreed98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

Yes its an earlier door as you mentioned , these are aftermarket handles but they all look pretty much the same as far s the diamentions go. As you can see in the photo, when the latch is installed it covers up about 20% of the hole and impeads the ice pick from sliding in. I am aware you have to open op the door handle to slip in in but the door handle bumps up against the latch. Its like one or the other is wrong. The latch looks like my orginal latches but I dont have the handles to compare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

Ok, got it.
I think the issue is the actual inside door mechanism blocking things.
It sounds like you think this too.

I'm not sure how that can be adjusted or possibly installed wrong though?

I don't have a photo of the same exact latch with the handle removed to post for you but here's a pic of my '55 passenger side, you can see it's wide open for the handle to slip in even though the general design is a little different:

Any thought to why you seem to have a passenger side mechanism on the driver's side door? Am I wrong about that?

Driver's side latch looks like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonreed98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

as far as having the passenger side latch on the driver side, I just had them reversed as I was fitting them, I didnt think it matter since the bodys are exactly the same. Anyway, I think I found the issue, I went to fit the passenger side and the hole in the door just needed a little filing as it was too tight and the handle seemed to fit in ok, just a little tight but on the driver door i measured the opening in the door to the opening in the passenger and I found that the hold was punched at the factory about an 1/8th to a 1/4" off causing the internal mechs to be in the wrong position thus causing the two not to fit. I bought these KlassicFab doors and this isnt the first time Ive had some fit issues . I had to cut out the little cage on the latch to make clearence. What a pain. Thanks for you help though, it helped a lot!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: split window door latch and handle problems Reply with quote

Cool, glad you figured it out.

It didn't even register with me that the green door in your pic was a complete reproduction door.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: