Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Only one response on the 74 so far. The other car went wild over 125 inquiries and growing. Fine with me I built the 74 from a 500 dollar roller several years ago. As I said I like the newer cars as a driver😀 So it seems the newer cars aren’t as popular yet. Good news for buyers bad for sellers. 74 is nostalgic for me because we had one when I was in high school, that’s my connection. I sold it in 1978 with 42k miles on the clock for 1300 bucks, and it was beat down.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Only one response on the 74 so far. The other car went wild over 125 inquiries and growing. Fine with me I built the 74 from a 500 dollar roller several years ago. As I said I like the newer cars as a driver😀 So it seems the newer cars aren’t as popular yet. Good news for buyers bad for sellers. 74 is nostalgic for me because we had one when I was in high school, that’s my connection. I sold it in 1978 with 42k miles on the clock for 1300 bucks, and it was beat down.

Not really seeing an equal comparison here...

Placing BOTH cars at the same price would be a closer scenario, although there is a "stretch" in comparing a steel dash car to a padded dash one.

I'm gonna guess that if you haven't let the '63 go with over 125 inquiries, its either a rotted, no titled turd, OR your really not looking to sell it and just put a low price KNOWING you'd get huge response numbers.

I offered your full asking price PLUS $800 extra to deliver and got ZERO response...as well as asking about the rust condition of the '74...(so that would make another inquiry on it Wink )

In my experience, when buying and selling vw's, projects, runners vs. non runners...Most buyers respond primarily to the $$$$ amount

place a $2000 ad and a $4000 ad for the same exact thing and see what happens.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
...are people really getting $4,000-$6,000 out of non-running, almost project, post 68 Beetles?

One of the biggest factors that will affect price is originality. Imagine a showroom-stock California car always garaged and parked since it was two years old with 2,000 miles. I would expect it could sell for considerably more than $6k.

Compare that to your average mutt with a chrome air cleaner, no-name mechanical distributor, custom wheels, mismatched fenders, cheap repaint, etc. Hard to sell for $2k even if it is running.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Yet there is no question that '67 and down fetch more than '68 and up. This has always been the case.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Not always been the case. In '68 Dad bought a basket case '59 Beetle for $25. We used the engine and transaxle to power a potato digger and he traded the body for a utility trailer. Then in '70 he bought a '63 for $300 with the engine in boxes. We fixed and painted that one. We drove it for a while before selling it. Old Beetles were a dime a dozen back then. New ones were about $1800.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

All things being equal, 67 and down will fetch more than '68 and up. This has been true my whole life.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Placing BOTH cars at the same price would be a closer scenario, although there is a "stretch" in comparing a steel dash car to a padded dash one.

I'm gonna guess that if you haven't let the '63 go with over 125 inquiries, its either a rotted, no titled turd, OR your really not looking to sell it and just put a low price KNOWING you'd get huge response numbers

In fact the first person to show up bought the car, I’ve pulled the ad. If you’d Have read the ad you’d have seen title info. Back on topic 74 car remains unsold.

Those 68 up cars get no love. 😀 worst case scenario I keep driving it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
All things being equal, 67 and down will fetch more than '68 and up. This has been true my whole life.

Short life. Wink

I remember when there were no '68 Beetles on the street, they were still on the showroom floor! The '69s were still a figment of our imagination.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

There is currently a 74 Super for sale (it has been up for a while) for $6,900. At first glance the car looks great, however when they show you the floorboard you quickly realize it's not that great! The floor was patched in a most rudimentary way, and they are still asking that price?? I guess that would explain why it has not sold!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I'm gonna guess that if you haven't let the '63 go with over 125 inquiries, its either a rotted, no titled turd, OR your really not looking to sell it and just put a low price KNOWING you'd get huge response numbers

In fact the first person to show up bought the car, I’ve pulled the ad.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply gets flipped, that's the sort of assholes that are all around us. Or, waxed up, got running, and THEN flipped with some sob story.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Are people getting $4k-$6k out of non-running post 68 Beetles? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

In fact the first person to show up bought the car, I’ve pulled the ad.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it simply gets flipped, that's the sort of assholes that are all around us. Or, waxed up, got running, and THEN flipped with some sob story.

At the end of the day who cares? Seller got what they wanted, buyer paid what they perceive as fair price. The owner is free to do whatever they want.

Flipper ? Why is reselling at a higher price bad? I never could understand why used car sales gets a bad rap unless deception is involved. I just got done answering all 140 + Emails. Actually some sent multiples with one or two people sending 10 or more. Almost all came from people that are not registered users of samba. They must scan these ads waiting to pounce😀 Some even used fake email addresses, I was unable to answer them . I tried to answer all. If I missed any sorry.

Back on topic the 70s VWs seem to be undervalued and there’s little to no interest which means buyer has advantage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: