Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Not factory...

...but about as good as I am going to get it.

Looks like it’s pinched a bit. I’ll poke at it some more later.

Turns out that the best way I could think to get it close to the body was to tighten the bolts up so that they just held, mallet a piece of wood against the corner to cozy it up, and then tighten the bolts down fully.

Wow! That looks really good. I bought my bracket seals last fall but they don't look like yours at all. When I received them, I thought they were pretty weird. After seeing your installed seal, I'm thinking what I have is the wrong seals. I got mine from CIP1 and they are labeled as Bumper Bracket Seal? Brick wall Surprised Surprised Do these look like the same thing you received?

Which bolts are you loosening to adjust the bracket closer to the body? I thought the entire bumper would move closer in order to close the gap between the body and the bracket covers, but now I see that must be wrong. I have not attempted any of this yet but I got to say, I'm confused! Embarassed I read just about every thing I can find in preparation, but I'm not impressed with my seals.

Yep, those are the pesky items in question. I am gettin to be an expert on em.
There are two bolts on the the bracket itself that fit into a slot so that it can be moved forward and back.

OK, guess I'm just too thick!! Embarassed Laughing So the bolts you are talking about are the main bolts under the car? Right ?
Seems that the bumper being also bolted to the sides of the car would prevent movement fore and aft??? No ?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Not factory...

Turns out that the best way I could think to get it close to the body was to tighten the bolts up so that they just held, mallet a piece of wood against the corner to cozy it up, and then tighten the bolts down fully.

Wow! That looks really good. I bought my bracket seals last fall but they don't look like yours at all. When I received them, I thought they were pretty weird. After seeing your installed seal, I'm thinking what I have is the wrong seals. I got mine from CIP1 and they are labeled as Bumper Bracket Seal? Brick wall Surprised Surprised Do these look like the same thing you received?

Which bolts are you loosening to adjust the bracket closer to the body? I thought the entire bumper would move closer in order to close the gap between the body and the bracket covers, but now I see that must be wrong. I have not attempted any of this yet but I got to say, I'm confused! Embarassed I read just about every thing I can find in preparation, but I'm not impressed with my seals.

Yep, those are the pesky items in question. I am gettin to be an expert on em.
There are two bolts on the the bracket itself that fit into a slot so that it can be moved forward and back.

OK, guess I'm just too thick!! Embarassed Laughing So the bolts you are talking about are the main bolts under the car? Right ?
Seems that the bumper being also bolted to the sides of the car would prevent movement fore and aft??? No ?

The bolts are on the guard:
https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/karmann-ghia/bod...7.71-right
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

The bracket you linked only has one bolt, like mine, not two. Why can't I seem to get this??
My bracket also has the support for the bumper guard, but I don't know if that makes a difference? Seems like it would prevent the bracket from sliding back and forth??

This thread goes over assembly but I don't see any information about the bracket adjustments.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.phpt=695525

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
The bracket you linked only has one bolt, like mine, not two. Why can't I seem to get this??
My bracket also has the support for the bumper guard, but I don't know if that makes a difference? Seems like it would prevent the bracket from sliding back and forth??

This thread goes over assembly but I don't see any information about the bracket adjustments.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you zoom in on the drivers side bracket, you can see one of the bolts, the other is just forward of it out of sight.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Not factory...

Nice job Trylon! Smile
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Maybe this is like yours. Note the slot.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1466575.jpg
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Not factory...

Nice job Trylon! Smile

And that’s before I arranged it better!
Thanks!

Such support over a strip of rubber— can’t wait til I reassemble the front end!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Do you have bolts that hold on to the bumper cover bracket? If so they are incorrect, they should be flat headed screws.

German Folks
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Do you have bolts that hold on to the bumper cover bracket? If so they are incorrect, they should be flat headed screws.

Thanks IO, but I think they are staying right where they are for the moment.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Got the gasket for the VW badge. So do I just pull these off?

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Thems ain’t factory. But it looks like they have little grub screws clamping them on. See if they do & then you get to see if you have an Allen key small enough to fit. I like it, great solution.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Thems ain’t factory. But it looks like they have little grub screws clamping them on. See if they do & then you get to see if you have an Allen key small enough to fit. I like it, great solution.

Oh, I see what you mean. Will give it a go when the rain subsides. Got lots of tiny Allen wrenches for electric guitar repair/adjustment.

Thanks!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

So, it turns out that I don’t have an Allen wrench large enough for the trailing arms nor small enough for the VW badge.

It’s like a automotive O. Henry story.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Moving along the bumper bracket seals front.

Here’s what Bentley 58-60 has pictured. Note that the front (first pic) is different from the back (second pic).

Kinda happy to see that as I thought the back ones had been swapped out on ours.

Bentley shows the seals installed before putting the bumper on but I think that’s because they were using U shaped ones. The straight ones we all seem to be getting now will not stay put on their own.

So I managed to get the front ones on (for better or worse) by sliding the inner seal end on, sliding the bracket up to the body, and tightening the bolt (which does seem like it is supposed to be a screw) just enough to hold the seal in place:

Then, using your poker of choice, push the rest of the seal in around the rest of the bracket and arrange it correctly alternatively poking from the outside and inside until its as good as you are going to get it.

Then, put a piece of wood in the hole underneath the bracket at an angle and mallet it all in as close as it will go. Tighten the bolts completely poke it as much as you need to to make it look as nice as you can. Then cut the extra off with a razor blade.

———
I was hoping to do the rear end ones as well but
1) no screws or bolts
2) holes do not line up

Nothing is easy.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Seems everything step I try to take is fraught with difficulty.

Here are the missing parts:

Screw, fillister head, AM 5 x 18 din 85 galvanized
Spring washer B 5 DIN 137 galvanized

When I try to search for them, an avalanche of machine screws pours over me and I am without a St Bernard dog.

Might one of you kind people point me to where I might purchase fewer than a thousand of these?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Looks great. Now I see that my brackets are not exactly like yours. Mine have only one "bolt" and do not appear to be adjustable for forward positioning. That's why I was so confused.
I like the idea of a "U" shaped seal though. If I can find a better alternative, I will gladly not use the intended product. U less you want to install them for me? 😃, since yours came out great.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Looks great. Now I see that my brackets are not exactly like yours. Mine have only one "bolt" and do not appear to be adjustable for forward positioning. That's why I was so confused.
I like the idea of a "U" shaped seal though. If I can find a better alternative, I will gladly not use the intended product. U less you want to install them for me? 😃, since yours came out great.

Yep, just pop over in your Cabriolet and I’ll fix you right up!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I like the idea of a "U" shaped seal though. If I can find a better alternative, I will gladly not use the intended product. Unless you want to install them for me? 😃, since yours came out great.

Yep, just pop over in your Cabriolet and I’ll fix you right up!

Think Think Laughing Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Nobody piped up so I did some research regarding screws and think I might have found those that are needed for the rear bumper brackets (and, yes, got some to replace the bolts on the front ones).

Couple of small successes.

Thought for sure that one of the things that was going to keep me off the road was a door that doesn’t shut. Checked out the one that does and fooled more with the adjustments on the striker plate. And, Bob’s your uncle, it now closes!

Flush with this success, I let the upper door/window rubber heat up in the sun and attempted its installation again. It was 1/4” at a time with considerable exertion and Muir meditation moments, but I got this in as well!

Ordered a razor knife to cut the end.

Allen sockets due Thursday— off with the trailing arms!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

When you cut the edge of the rubber try to leave it long as possible and stuff it in, all rubber and vinyl will shrink over time.

German Folks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 141 of 358

Jump to: