Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Koni shocks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Koni shocks Reply with quote

My guestimate would be about half way through the range.

From my understanding, Koni's softest setting is about equal to factory shocks. I am running Weitec Springs and have the shocks nearly at max.

Note - I expected "clicks" for each setting on the shocks, found that they are "infinitely adjustable" between min and max.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni shocks Reply with quote

#MeToo

I am on stock Carat springs in my 1990 MV and have Konis in. Been in for a long time. They seem stiff these days.

So since all soft is like stock.

And the above thinks half way is OK for a weekender, I guess I go half way.

Next fly in the ointment, though is I have Addco front and rear anti sway bars laying around.

If I adjust the shocks to my liking, might I not like them after the bars are added or what?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni shocks Reply with quote

Hey r39o, the sway bar and shocks address different things... sway bar is actually anti-sway and improves handling, especially cornering and steering response. Shocks dampen the springs to keep a smooth ride.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
nilloc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Koni shocks Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

I am on stock Carat springs in my 1990 MV and have Konis in. Been in for a long time. They seem stiff these days.

So since all soft is like stock.

And the above thinks half way is OK for a weekender, I guess I go half way.

Good to read, I just got a set of Koni Reds and Yellow Weitechs (now called ST btw). I have a 91 MV previously with stock but sagging to the left Carat springs up front and some kinda super tall rear spring in the back, think the previous owner towed with it.

I got sick of staring at the ground while driving so hopefully the lower progressive rear springs give it a bit better rake. I'll post an update when it's all back together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Koni shocks Reply with quote

A couple decades ago, I put a set of Bilsteins on the rear of my 1980 Westy. I felt they were a little too firm, so I bought some stock spec Sachs shocks. (I put the Bilsteins on my 1982 diesel that I used in my business and very often it was loaded fully and sometimes a little overloaded. They controlled it well.)
Next shocks I buy will likely be Konis.
I think Bilsteins are by far the best for racing.
For normal long life good performance, I think the Konis are a good choice.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: