Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65-67 bug front seat side panels
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

Does anyone know the difference in size for the 65, 66 or 67 side panels for the front seat.
The 67 ones are about 18.5 inches long (curved measurement) but other ones are around 17. What year are these for?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

65's didnt have them

66 for sure.. they were put into production with the the locking seat back.

Were the 67's you have from a mid to late 67?

Mid to late 67 seat lock latch system changed from lower handle to upper seat back handle.

Also later years high backs at some point between 68-71 the pivot hinge point of the seat back changed position.

Compare them matching the hinge cut out.

I have known 66's in stock.. Ill compare measurements as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651343
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

Looking up these part numbers might help:

Cover Plate - 116000001 to 1181016100 (that is all '66,67'68 )

LHS 113881315
RHS 113881316

From 119000001 on

LHS 113881315C
RHS 113881316C

Source: OACDP

Last edited by viiking on Sat May 23, 2020 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

The seats are early 67 type and have the double spin clip on the inside to retain them on the seat frame. I wonder if the 17 inch long ones (shorter ones) are for the later model 67 seats with the side mechanism on the seat back. . Somebody spot welded mine in place and I had to practically destroy them to get to the area to weld the cracked seat back where it broke. I know these side plates were on the bugs from 66 on they just look different from 68 forward.
This photo is not mine it is from another person who I gratefully thank for letting me use it. My plate is the same as the one on the left at 18.5 inches long.

Also where does one look up a vw part number?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

I've got a pair I dont use. 66 vintage, red. Pay shipping and theyre yours. Ill get a photo up in a few minutes.
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

To add confusion, I know for a fact these came off a '66 yet these are the approx. 17" variety you spoke of which based on your research doesnt compute... The bend at the front is rather malleable - any chance the "longer" variety just got a bit tweaked? No irreversible damage to the part - just some surface rust and dirt and scratched paint.
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

The 18.5 inches is when you use a tape measure and include the bend. It is around 17 when using a straight edge. Thanks, I found a pair already but I appreciate the feedback. I think my original measurements were from a distorted photo from another member as it was taken from a angle and not straight on. (see original photo) thanks.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 65-67 bug front seat side panels Reply with quote

I measured my one as shown in the top photo of REDKAEFER's post. It is 18.5 inches following the contours.

My car is an early '68 (Euro with low back seats and seat release up on the backrest) and according to my earlier post, is the same one for 66,67 and 68 models.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: